Oct 02, 2017, 03:14 PM
Subscribed!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2017, 07:14 PM
Slow is the go!
Thread OP

Triple tribute Cadillac of the Skies

Earlier this year a LHS had these for $50.00 off so purchased two, more on the second one soon.
Re-painted this one on the first high performance warbird to fly in New Zealand since the 1950s.
In 1985 this Mustang was imported into New Zealand by Sir Tim Wallis who had her painted in
the markings of one of the machines that flew with the three Territorial Squadrons that served
in the RNZAF.

Have modelled her as a bit of a triple tribute, Sir Tim Wallis a driving force of the warbird scene
in New Zealand. Ray Hanna, more on him soon and the mighty Canterbury Crusaders my Rugby
team which, this year won their seventh Super Rugby competition this year!
(Rugby Union, think All Blacks)

The real aircraft is airworthy and attends air shows in New Zealand regularly.

The late Ray Hanna a true legend aviator and star pilot of many a movie, one of my favourite
movie scenes from “Empire of the Sun” Ray Hanna flies past a young kid waving. So I made my
little pilot so he can wave, has a simple wire link off the rudder to his arm.

Ray Hanna scene “Empire of the Sun.”
P-51 Cadillac of the skies! (1 min 27 sec)

Ray Hanna waving from Mustang Warbirds over Wanaka 1996.
P-51 Mustang Display - Pilot Ray Hanna New Zealand 1996 (1 min 58 sec)

Finally did this mod similar to my Thunderbolt, battery on top rather than bottom.
Oct 13, 2017, 11:54 AM
Good stuff in here!!!!

I converted my UMX Radian to a Navy Trainer scheme. Used some Habu stickers, orange oracal vinyl, and Navy stickers I cut on my plotter.
Last edited by Hugo Flynow; May 07, 2019 at 07:11 AM.
Oct 13, 2017, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow
I converted my UMX Radian to a Navy Trainer scheme.
Good One!!

Gene K
Oct 14, 2017, 09:53 AM
My first attempt at a repaint & some mods was to turn a 3 channel HobbyZone Champ into a 4 channel Champ that looked like the Champ I learned to fly in over 30 years ago.

Started with an old AS3Extra brick, and bought parts from LHS. I added some depron in front of the vertical stab to increase the area. (This Champ has an 85HP Continental, which required a larger fin as part of the conversion from the original 65HP.). Added scratch-built wheel pants and wing struts and tail braces. Also added exhaust pipes and a step under the door.

It looks pretty nice, but doesn't fly very well. It is carrying it's own weight in add-on's and paint and is very draggy with the struts. When you pull the power off it slows down in a hurry!

It was a lot of fun to do! Kinda gettin' the itch to try another project like this!
Oct 15, 2017, 03:51 PM

Wow Great Mods Shown so far.

Pete

Thanks for starting the thread I love the UMX scale.

Here is my Carbon Cub.
I made the bush wheels, added blinking belly light, changed the registration number (true CC #) and checkered the tail (a CC paint option).

Last edited by JimLindner; Oct 15, 2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Change Pict Link
Oct 15, 2017, 06:32 PM
Jim... That's really sharp!! I especially like the checkered tail!

I wish my CC looked that good!
Oct 16, 2017, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger
Jim... That's really sharp!! I especially like the checkered tail!

I wish my CC looked that good!
Thanks, the only reason it looks that clean is because I had just rebuilt it with a new wing and body. It is once again almost ready for a new rebuild but I think this will be the last time, I'll probably replace it with the Timber eventually but I still have a another new body and wing.

I am going to steal your wheel pants mod, very clever. Those champs seem to live forever.

Jim
Oct 16, 2017, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLindner
Thanks, the only reason it looks that clean is because I had just rebuilt it with a new wing and body. It is once again almost ready for a new rebuild but I think this will be the last time, I'll probably replace it with the Timber eventually but I still have a another new body and wing.

I am going to steal your wheel pants mod, very clever. Those champs seem to live forever.

Jim
The CC is a special plane! I love mine. Wheel pants will look great!

My Champ has 36 flights on it. It looks neat going by, but isn't the light & floaty plane the original is. I still get sweaty palms when I fly it!

I bought a umx Timber last week. Only have 2 flights on it, but really like it! If you end up with one you won't be disappointed!
Oct 19, 2017, 08:55 AM
Oh! Just love model
Just finishing up a repaint of my new UMX Wildcat.

This paint scheme was only used by four squadrons of Wildcats (the two airwings of the USS Wasp and Ranger) for just a few months in late 1940, but has caught on with modelers for obvious reasons.

August
Oct 19, 2017, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083

Gene K
Oct 19, 2017, 09:41 AM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083

This paint scheme was only used by four squadrons of Wildcats (the two airwings of the USS Wasp and Ranger) for just a few months in late 1940, but has caught on with modelers for obvious reasons.

August
very nice!

How much weight is really added by the repaints? If you listen to some of the people here the lightest dusting of paint and the plane will never fly again, but obviously there are a lot of very pretty repaints that are getting up in the air. I have a couple on the table for modding with paint so does anyone have the real scoop on how a paint job (average, not incredibly detailed and not super heavy coats) - changes the characteristics of a micro?
Oct 19, 2017, 10:00 AM
Oh! Just love model
I have repainted a lot of micros - 1s and 2s UMX, Aircores and Flyzones, other small foamies, and I am lavish with paint on my scratch builds. None has ever had much impact on the flying characteristics and I have stopped measuring the weight added. I didn't do a "before" weighing of this plane. I'd be happy to weigh the "after" and report it, but there probably is some weight variation among stock airframes, so I don't know how much it will tell you.

In this case, relatively heavy coats had to be applied to the tail to cover the red and white striping. I haven't balanced the plane yet to see if this had any effect on CG and if so, can I fix it by adjusting the battery position.

I painted this plane straight out of the box and have never flown a UMX Wildcat, so I won't be able to tell you if the flight characteristics have changed - only whether I'm happy with them. But on a 2s, I'm really not worried.

Below is another UMX I repainted. The B-17 is one of the most marginally powered UMXs to begin with, and she got a good full coat (although silver covers well and can be applied quite thinly). She flies just fine and has been able to hold formation with a stock airplane, no problem.

August
Oct 19, 2017, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
very nice!

How much weight is really added by the repaints? If you listen to some of the people here the lightest dusting of paint and the plane will never fly again, but obviously there are a lot of very pretty repaints that are getting up in the air. I have a couple on the table for modding with paint so does anyone have the real scoop on how a paint job (average, not incredibly detailed and not super heavy coats) - changes the characteristics of a micro?
I think the biggest problem isn't added weight, but an aft cg. If the factory paint can be removed first, it will help. I was cautioned about the cg moving aft on my Champ. I moved the brick up into the nose and had to move my battery into the nose as well. Cg is still aft...

For what it's worth, I did apply a lot of paint to get the colors even.
Oct 19, 2017, 10:56 AM
Custom User Name Title
Thanks guys. I'm not going to worry about it too much. It's too cool to be able to personalize the things

Quick Reply