joystick to slider - RC Groups
Jul 29, 2017, 12:49 PM
Question

joystick to slider

I'm looking modding a transmitter to sliders in place of joysticks on 3 channels, as if I ever get some of my works in progress ready for testing I will have two, 3 prop boats.. something like an ace nautical commander, but with three control sticks.. thinking that sliders with center detant,, has anyone done something like this, any advice on parts, specs, resistance values,
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2017, 08:58 PM
You might get some ideas from this previous forum thread ...

Especially some additional forum links within this thread ...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post37169018

Good luck

Ray S
Irvine CA
Jul 29, 2017, 11:26 PM
Submarines, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith
I'm looking modding a transmitter to sliders in place of joysticks on 3 channels, as if I ever get some of my works in progress ready for testing I will have two, 3 prop boats.. something like an ace nautical commander, but with three control sticks.. thinking that sliders with center detant,, has anyone done something like this, any advice on parts, specs, resistance values,
parts, specs and resistance values will depend on which transmitter you start with. some require specific ohm and voltage pots, some don't.
Jul 30, 2017, 02:57 PM
Most rotary pots under sticks just use the middle third of travel (90 degrees of 270) give or take a bit. Using a slider will probably need to simulate this by using a pot value 1/3 of the original with the difference made up by padding resistors each end. The commonest value is 4K7, but there may well be others. Measuring the existing will show.
Jul 31, 2017, 03:04 AM
A possible alternative to tweaking the hardware - if you haven't chosen a transmitter, anyway - is to use one of the open source transmitter systems. Those normally have a calibration feature that records the end points of the various pots to calculate the percentage of maximum throw of each stick.
Jul 31, 2017, 10:49 AM
looking at the sliders that are available I'm now thinking that using the existing pots mounted in a three lever unit with levers around 4 inches long, friction action with a neutral detent will give me the visual and feel I need.. I have an old futaba and hopefully the pots are around the same size as the radio I plan to use.. this will give me some parts to start working on this before tearing into the good stuff..
Aug 02, 2017, 09:36 PM
Instead of independent control for each respective motors (three motors) ...

have you considered one stick (slider) and using MIXING FEATURE of an existing radio to control multiple motors with ONE STICK (slider) ...
Aug 03, 2017, 06:05 AM
I thought about going that route, but the first ship that needs this is my 1890's USS Minneapolis,, scale speed, on Idea of the class (two ships C-12,13) was they could cruise on the center screw only to conserve coal and water, putting the outer shafts online when required.. all three screws turning ranked them as the fastest large warships of the period.. that being said just got a DX5E trainer radio (no rf gear) under 25.00 will give all the parts needed to play with (gimbles, pots, trimmers) weithout hacking up a good radio..