older bvm f16c - RC Groups
Jul 29, 2017, 07:43 AM
guillows basher!!
Question

older bvm f16c

hey all....just brought on board a bvm f16c df thats a virgin and never seen any kind of propulsion put to it,my ? is without reinventing the wheel what would b the most reasonable edf to apply? it came with a jf 90mm and neu1415/2y/s/5mm but to me the 90mm looks smallish sitting inside the airframe, i do have a new vasa 110 with a het 700 98 780 sitting around but i want to do this right the 1st time,so can anyone point me in the right direction to a build thread/conversion thread, all my searches r coming up with not much info,i did find a wemo 90mm thread but it was lacking in pics and info...........thanks in advance..........john......not interested in dropping the bank for the bvm evf system
Last edited by esb-help; Jul 29, 2017 at 07:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2017, 08:34 AM
2018 EDF Jet Jam June 14-17
This YA is being flown on a high power 90 mm setup

F16 maidenflight (6 min 15 sec)
Jul 29, 2017, 09:40 AM
Phone's ringing dude...
I am just finishing up a TAM 1/8 F16 and am going with the JF 100 set up. I am no expert, but I think the scale intake ducting is a bit of a handicap if you want to go with anything larger. I am trying to decide between 12 and 14S. Have you checked on RCU for any build threads? I have also found the RC Canada forums to be another good source of information.
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/
Jul 29, 2017, 04:40 PM
Awesome guys i am close to glassing my scratch 16
Jul 30, 2017, 01:13 AM
Save yourself a lot of fooling around and get the BVM EVF-3-10S or12S fan unit. The airplane was designed around it. Drops in with no modifications. The ducting was designed for the EVF. I pinched pennies for a year to get the first EVF and spent that year building the kit. It's all good but BVM is better.
Last edited by Fanflyer; Jul 30, 2017 at 01:28 AM.
Jul 30, 2017, 05:09 AM
guillows basher!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanflyer
Save yourself a lot of fooling around and get the BVM EVF-3-10S or12S fan unit. The airplane was designed around it. Drops in with no modifications. The ducting was designed for the EVF. I pinched pennies for a year to get the first EVF and spent that year building the kit. It's all good but BVM is better.
yeah like i said im not prepared to drop 1500.00+ on the evf....the rotor of the evf is 117mm not much bigger then the vasa 110 rotor and housing i have now,also bvm uses a castle 160hv which i already have,and as far as drop right in well anything at this point will drop right in cause no construction was done yet on the hardpoints for fan mounts yet....all i need to do is a inlet to inlet mod.....i also have the 3- 4s6400mah pulse 30c packs.....i'll take my time and r@d for awhile but thanks for your input
Jul 30, 2017, 07:46 AM
guillows basher!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogietrim
I am just finishing up a TAM 1/8 F16 and am going with the JF 100 set up. I am no expert, but I think the scale intake ducting is a bit of a handicap if you want to go with anything larger. I am trying to decide between 12 and 14S. Have you checked on RCU for any build threads? I have also found the RC Canada forums to be another good source of information.
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/
the stock intake is setup for the viojet which is able to fit the viojet-evf drop in which is a 4.5" or 117mm rotor so going to the vasa 110 which is still smaller i would have to down size the inlet adapter not go bigger,the het 700-98-780 is a honker of a motor a big weight differance from the neu 90mm setup......i 'm trying i guess to not overweight the airframe say like putting in a 456 large block when i could get by with a 350 small block the esc weight will b the same as will the batts(12s6400mah)but the het is 3x the size of the neu,even if i down size the batt configuration i'm ok with that,say go down to 12s5000mah to save some weight but keep the performance......not trying to break any speed records just want a nice 4.5-5 minute mixed flying airframe thats as light as it can b......i'm in no hurry so all this feedback is just what i want.......thanks
Jul 30, 2017, 08:27 AM
I was flying a old battle damaged, glow converted YA F-16A on a JF90 with 5300 12S packs as shown in video
Put a JF100 in it this season. The take off is better, the vertical is better, top speed about the same, or a little slower using same packs. This setup (780 KV) can go up to 14S

I too have a BVM F-16, and I'm going EVF. There is a video of a Yellow F-16 with a EVF, and it seems to moving right along.
Yellow Aircraft F-16A Jetfan 90 on 12S 12lbs (4 min 23 sec)
Jul 30, 2017, 08:41 AM
guillows basher!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
I was flying a old battle damaged, glow converted YA F-16A on a JF90 with 5300 12S packs as shown in video
Put a JF100 in it this season. The take off is better, the vertical is better, top speed about the same, or a little slower using same packs. This setup (780 KV) can go up to 14S

I too have a BVM F-16, and I'm going EVF. There is a video of a Yellow F-16 with a EVF, and it seems to moving right along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noxzy7Kjjcc
what was your auw? fyi the vasa 110 i have with the het motor weighs in at 15oz heavier then the neu 90mm setup....both can run on 12s....fsa not a problem with either on the intake,small step down with the 110 and a big step down on inlet with the 90mm....so since i already made my mind up that dropping the bank on evf is outa the ? the real concensus i'm looking for is the jf90mm with the neu or the vasa110 with the het 780?
Last edited by esb-help; Jul 30, 2017 at 08:46 AM.
Jul 30, 2017, 02:35 PM
guillows basher!!
heres what the vasa 110 looks sittn in the fuse
Jul 30, 2017, 03:31 PM
The JF90 setup was 11 or 12 lbs RTF, the JF100 is a little heavier. The JF100 sounds awesome, just wish it was faster
That said, this is an unducted install, with a bellmouth on the fan. No gear doors, with non scale spring airs with tires hanging half out, half in the inlet, so it's about as dirty as it gets
Oct 03, 2017, 09:00 AM

Jf110

I have an old DF BVM F16 and I am using a JF110 with a 780 motor. I also run an inlet adaptor for a closed system. 12S 6000 batteries and pulling somewhere near 105 amps on the ground (if I remember correctly).

Total weight is around 15 lbs. Flies with authority...but a little heavy. Not sure what I would do differently if I were to do it again. But, try to lose some weight as much as possible.

Jim
Oct 10, 2017, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ragtop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noxzy7Kjjcc
That's some nice speed on the JF 90 !!
Oct 13, 2017, 07:43 AM
KingtechUSA
My advice would be to keep it LIGHT! I built and flown the yellow and also I have flown the BVM. The BVM I flew was built much lighter since it had no scale details and was a much better flyer. My yellow had functioning canopy,lights, afterburner ring and a working belly drop tank. None of that is needed and I would not do that again on such a small plane. The lighter BVM F16 was allot more fun to fly and really ended up being very fast. It had the EVF installed on it. To me its a much better plane then these foam F16s that are now on the market.

The huge problem with little planes this size is they have just as much weight as the bigger planes with much less wing area. Those little F16s are pretty tough to fly electric due to the landing weight being the same as takeoff weight. After years of flying my yellow I remember flying my first big turbine and was like wow this is a cake walk compared to flying my little yellow F16.

So if you can fly one of these little F16s then you will have zero issues flying anything turbine in the future. On a side note the new Kingtech K70 with 15.5 lbs of thrust would fly one of these great and you would land much lighter with a longer flight time. But I understand not everyone has a flying field that lets you use turbines. That is why I went electric back in the day at first. The price difference between the two are almost the same.

Here is some old video of mine with a stumax fan from back in the day
EJets International 2011 -- Yellow Aircraft F-16.wmv (5 min 37 sec)
Oct 13, 2017, 06:05 PM
Interesting conversation. Late last year I picked up a partially built BVM Viper, one of the 80's era piston DF planes. I had to order a spar and Violett literally growled at me asking if I knew that was a 29 year old kit. This one is a smaller Viper and I've gotten a Schubler fan for it that drops in perfectly. Got the power plant and esc, everything but the batteries. I have more $$ already tied up in this plane than any other two in the rest of my fleet and I can't wait to fly it sometime in the next few months.

Rick H.