Oct 30, 2004, 11:41 PM
Thread OP

BD5 build thread

Since I've sent out so many copies of my BD5 plan I figured it would be a good idea to do a build thread on it. It would appear that some of the folks who got short kits from Aerolock got parts cut from an older file, but fear not the differences are minor. If F5 and F6 do not have holes for the driveshaft you have the older parts. This build is using parts cut from the current file which are the parts shown on the plans, I will note any changes that need to be made to the older parts.

Here goes, lets start with the fuselage.

Lay out and familiarize yourself with all the parts.
Last edited by DBlum; Oct 31, 2004 at 01:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2004, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
Start by gluing the doublers to F2, F3, and F4. Those with the earlier parts will need to make some doublers and cut some slots for the lower fuselage stringers. Size is not critical, they're just there to keep you from crushing the fuselage until the lower sheeting is added. Also laminate the two FS rear fuselage spine parts.
Oct 30, 2004, 11:51 PM
Thread OP
Place the two fuselage sides on top of each other lining them up EXACTLY. Now take some slow CA and smear it across the rear of the fuselage taking care not to get any glue in between the two sides. When dry this will form a "hinge" allowing you to now open the sides up in perfect alignment.
Oct 31, 2004, 12:08 AM
Thread OP
Place former F1 in place and put a piece of tape across both sides to hold it in place. Run the tape at least an inch down each side as it will be under some tension when the other formers are in place. Do not glue F1 at this time. Place all formers except F4B in place and when you are happy with the alignment glue them all including F1. Those with parts from the old files will need to cut some holes for the driveshaft in formers F5 and F6. Refer to sheet 2 of the plans for their size and location.

Now is also the time to decide if you will be using a GWS IPS drive. If you are, assemble the motor stick and make sure it fits in the gearbox. It will require some squishing for a snug fit and may even require a little trimming. It is important to do this now otherwise you'll destroy the fuse tryng to get the gearbox in later. Install the motor stick as well as part MM3 being sure to glue the stick to both the formers and MM3. I will not be using this drive so all subsequent photos will not show these parts installed.
Oct 31, 2004, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
Glue on the fuselage top. You will notice that the center is perforated, do not remove it at this time.
Oct 31, 2004, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
Now build the bearing box using parts BB1, BB2, and BB3.
Oct 31, 2004, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
Now add the rear spine and formers F8 and F9.

Next glue former F4B in place as well as the upper fuselage sides. Make sure the sides are oriented correctly with the bigger end at the rear.
Oct 31, 2004, 12:30 AM
Thread OP
Now using the templates provided on sheet 2, cut out the two upper sheeting parts. Trial fit these and trim off the top so that each half will meet in the middle of the rear spine. When you are satisfied with the fit glue into place. When the sheeting is dry trim off the front and sand flush with F4B. Sand the rear flush with F5. Now make note of the marks on F5 that look like unfinished stringer notches. These give you the location of 1/16 square stringer notches you will now cut into the top sheeting, the marks being the center of the notch.
Oct 31, 2004, 12:36 AM
Thread OP
Cut some 3/32 square sticks and glue along the fuselage bottom being sure that they fit into the notches in the bottom of the formers. Now glue the bottom in place.

Now add the 1/16x1/4 lower nose stringers.
Oct 31, 2004, 12:46 AM
Thread OP
To prepare the fuselage for the lower nose sheeting, you will now need to sand a bevel into the fuselage sides continuing the curve of each of the nose formers. You will have quite a large bevel at F1, and none at F4. Using the templates, cut, fit, and glue the lower sheeting in place. To minimize the chance of building a twist into the fuse, try to glue each piece of sheeting from the center out. When you're done, sand every thing nice and smooth, blending the sides into the bottom. Be carefull not to go crazy sanding because the balsa will get very thin here.
Oct 31, 2004, 12:50 AM
Thread OP
Now you can remove the perforated section in the fuselage top, F4B, and the tops of formers F2, F3, and F4. You can discard these parts. All those flimsy pieces of balsa will be quite strong at this point.
Oct 31, 2004, 01:04 AM
Thread OP
Assemble the rear bearing carrier from BC1 and BC2 making sure to align them carefully before gluing them together. Place, but do not glue this assembly NOTCHES UP into the bearing box making sure that the larger of the two holes faces OUT. Place F10 into place and move the BC1/BC2 combo until it will sit against the back of F10. Now remove F10 and wick some thin CA around the BC combo gluing it in place. Glue F10 in place making sure that the two large notches face DOWN. Wick some thin CA into the bearing hole to harden it, and after making sure the glue has dried push the bearing into place. It should be a nice snug fit. Those with the older parts will have to trim the BC1/BC2 combo slightly because I don't believe the holes line up with F10. If memory serves you'll have to take a little off the top. You'll also need to trim a little off the ends of BB1 and BB3 so that F10 will fit.
Last edited by DBlum; Oct 31, 2004 at 09:19 AM.
Oct 31, 2004, 01:22 AM
Thread OP
Glue the lower rear stringers into place after trimming the bearing box slightly so that they will fit into the notches in F10. Now add the 1/16 square rear stringers. Those with the older parts will have to trim some stringer notches here and there so that they run straight. You may also need to add a little scrap of balsa around the lower stringer notch in F7. When they are all in place, take a piece of sandpaper wraped around an x-acto handle or something similar and scallop the formers between the stringers. This will make the formers disappear after it's covered.

The fuselage is done at this point with the exception of the nose block. I didn't have a block large enough on hand tonight so I can go no further. The canopy base will also have to wait until the nose is done. That's about it for now, hopefully I can finish the build up over the course of the next couple of days.

Dave
Oct 31, 2004, 02:40 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Lookin good so far.
Oct 31, 2004, 03:16 AM
Your work and skills are eccellent! The photos are perfect and leave no doubt as to what must be done and how to do it!

This thing shapes up well and quickly. Great design!

I notice you already have at least one of the bearings in place. What size bearings are needed?

Quick Reply