Still stink flying backwards - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 27, 2017, 11:30 PM
Discussion

Still stink flying backwards

Man, what will it take until it sinks in for me? Absolutely killed my 130s today practicing reverse flight. Can't believe how bad I am. Fine in forward flight.

I thought it wouldn't be this difficult once I got forward flight down pretty good.

What's your experience with this?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2017, 04:22 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Even after years of flying I hate flying backward. I think the problem for me is that i came from fixed wing so flying backward just doesnt compute.

It's probably just a matter of practice but you need discipline to practice what you hate, more discipline than i have!
Jul 28, 2017, 05:12 AM
itts just liarning a new orienation but harder! just stick with it go higher up if you need to so that you have mistake room. Being too low to the ground has been the cause of quite a few of my crashes.

im still trying to get to grips with backwords flying. my turns end up being funnels because for what ever reason its easier to do a turn that way rather than carving.

If you get uncomfortable pause and get collected again or turn to a comfortable orientation.

If your not comfortable in all oreintations go back and practice hovering in those orienations and also moving around in those orientations, that will help when you nervious and you can just stop into a hover what ever way you are facing.

A step further, get a sim. Im a keen 3D pilot, if it wasnt for the sim i wouldnt be so far ahead and probably not flying anymore due to too many crashes. The sim allowed me to do a half piroflip first try IRL.

Nothing gets easier. The more advanced you get the harder it is to learn
Jul 28, 2017, 09:42 AM
Destroyer of Threads
I once completely trashed a one-of-a-kind heavily modified fixed pitch trying backwards flight.

After that, my enthusiasm for reverse flight sort of shriveled up and died.

It does look nice when the pros do it, but as a scale fan, it's not something that really interests me so I have not spent much time practicing.

Every once in a while I try it in the sim, and crash within 10 seconds.

It's definitely harder than one might think.
Jul 28, 2017, 12:21 PM
Bro, it is Christmas season!
It is funny how it is easy to bring the heli backwards tail in though . Try the other orientations flying backwards and the brain in our heads don't like it.
Jul 28, 2017, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747
It is funny how it is easy to bring the heli backwards tail in though . Try the other orientations flying backwards and the brain in our heads don't like it.
tail in backwords loop piece of cake. that was my first loop
Jul 28, 2017, 01:25 PM
Yesh, tail in is easy to bring her in, but man once you get turning. Ugh.

I practice this in the sim for hours. Can fly like a banshee in reverse and inverted. Real life is proving to be a different story.
Might only be fear holding me back. Also flying in a confined space practicing this is not ideal and will get me nowhere. That's my thought. I could not grasp flying forward until I went to a actual large field. I picked up more in 3 days than I had months flying in my small house or crowded yard. Micro or not, room is yourself friend.
Jul 28, 2017, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog
Yesh, tail in is easy to bring her in, but man once you get turning. Ugh.

I practice this in the sim for hours. Can fly like a banshee in reverse and inverted. Real life is proving to be a different story.
Might only be fear holding me back. Also flying in a confined space practicing this is not ideal and will get me nowhere. That's my thought. I could not grasp flying forward until I went to a actual large field. I picked up more in 3 days than I had months flying in my small house or crowded yard. Micro or not, room is yourself friend.
tight spaces do have there uses really helps with precision and slow flying. i learnt allot being confined to a small space. the more daring stuff though space is very usefull
Jul 28, 2017, 03:58 PM
Dont worry, I also stink at flying backwards. Alot of us do (I think ).

What has really helped me with backwards flying is taking it one step at a time like some of us did with cp, we didn't jump right into it. Learn your backwards stick movements with an fp first, like a v911. Trust me it's not a drawback but a stepping stone for better handling backwards flying.

I use my Quark to practice backwards flying, it's more docile and forgiving because of the 45 degree offset head. Then I take my NCPX and practice very slow back circuits and I feel much more confident.

That's just a friendly opinion, hopefully I to will get the hang of it one day .
Jul 28, 2017, 06:04 PM
Under new management.
Spoke to Abraham Lincoln the other day and tell you what he said:

Quote:
to get good practice at flying backwards, first fly forward, pull up,
it will slow down the heli and then you'll begin going backwards. Because heli will be first almost tail in and gradually side in, you'll get smooth orientation transition. Flying in straight line backwards will help you break in the brain cells to giving proper corrections. Once you get to the it her side of the field flying backwards, pull the tail up and slow down and then repeat the process.
From what I understand, he was trying to compare it to a pendulum maneuver.

Try it on a big one!
Cheers
Jul 28, 2017, 07:26 PM
Bro, it is Christmas season!
Also a quote from one of the RC heli instruction manuals

Quote:
After practice on simulator you will have lots of pleasant pleasurable flights
Jul 29, 2017, 10:48 AM
Well, better success today practicing tic, tocs, hurricanes and inverted hover and some inverted wandering around. All sloppy, but doable. I'll wait until I'm at the field for reverse flight. My yard doesn't cut it for that.
Jul 31, 2017, 09:45 AM
Excellence is Expected
Yeah, I am getting better at backwards but like said its just another orientation to learn that isn't any easier than any of the other orientations.

I am also one of those who simulated a lot but didn't get much out of it.

I also agree that going back to basics helps with new things.

Hover nose in sides in and when you do side in left side in try going to the right side and right side in go left of where you are standing. I was surprised at how much different it was if the heli was to the left or right of me depending on what side i had in. Even that can be a challenge and don't forget your 5 and 7 o'clock positions.

Took me a while to get nose in but finally clicked and almost as good nose in as tail in. I just keep working on those others and push into uncomfortable orientations
Last edited by MakMov; Jul 31, 2017 at 09:55 AM.
Jul 31, 2017, 05:38 PM
i am in same boat Thickfog.
every day i am in process of learning fly backwards, and not successful. inverted orientation is no problem for me. Front, back, side flips are easy but as soon as trying to fly circles inverted..... i lost control of the heli....lol
Oct 08, 2017, 01:16 AM
Well, I after losing my 130s on the forest after a wicked tail blow out, I moved on to the 230s for reverse training. Things went well. Was getting better each day but it still wasn't clicking. Felt like I really hit a wall I just couldn't get passed.
I moved on to my oxy 2 for training. For me it's been more durable and cheaper to crash than my 230s.

So finally I am comfortable doing reverse flight.
It's taken me many hours and many packs to get there, but I stuck with it.
And I have to say it's really fun.
Being able to zip around backwards and then slam forward and stuff like that is so neat.
After a few more weeks getting backwards perfected, I'll move onto inverted
Cool. Great hobby. Amazing how much mental effort it takes to stick with it.

Without you guys for support and sharing of similar stories I'm sure I'd have quit by now.