This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 27, 2017, 06:40 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Valiant 1.3 build and mod

Valiant' s blue paint over the white foam is fragile so I covered the whole fuselage with 3M 40x heavy duty packing tape. This only added 19 grams but now I can handle the fuse without damaging the paint scheme. First thing I wanted to do was to eliminate taildragger nose overs so I relocated the main gear as far forward as possible. This was much easier than modifying my Apprentice and Timber with Valiant gear. The ground testing convinced me I can taxi fast and make tight controllable turns without groundlooping or damaging the fuselage bottom. The CG was moved forward and even with the EFlite 3000 3S all the way aft there is still a forward CG. However the slight up elevator trim required for hands off flight (SAFE Self Leveling off) did not effect my style of flying. I did see a tendency to enter a snap/tip stall with full up elevator on slow flight with a Self Level on so I did not want to aggravate it by moving CG further aft. With full power Valiant climbs vertically better than my Timber. She is faster and almost as slow as the Timber but I am very pleased at the overall design and performance of the Valiant. She should be a very rugged trainer.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply