Jul 27, 2017, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Question

380mm vs 450mm for AP?

I'm building a quad for light AP use with a gopro to replace my phantom 2. I'm thinking that keeping the spec similar to the phantom might be good as the phantom gets good flight times and is a good size for portability.
So I was thinking of finding a frame around 350mm, and using 2212 920kv motors, 9x4.3 props and a 5200 3s. However the closest I can get to a 350mm frame is a 380mm (330 is too small for the props). Almost every frame I can find is a 450 or larger.

I'm wondering what the advantage is of a 450 over a 380? Most of the 450 builds I've looked at seem to recommend the same power system to what I'm planning on using, so why not use a smaller frame if you can? Or can you get a more efficient prop/motor/battery setup on a 450 than you can on a 380?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2017, 06:30 PM
The reason to use larger frame would be because larger props would fit. In the case of a 450 that would be 12" props max. DJI made the 920kv popular but I like the sunnysky 2212-980 and run 1245 props on mine (3s).

If building from scratch and starting new there are more efficient motors being offered these days. Perhaps the V2806 on 4s with 12" props would get you better efficiency.
Last edited by pug398; Jul 28, 2017 at 06:47 PM.
Jul 29, 2017, 03:25 AM
Thread OP
Do you know if the 2212 980kv 1245 prop setup be significantly more efficient than 2212 920kv with 94.3 props?

And with that 4s setup what batteries would I use? Just want to know for an idea of cost.
Jul 31, 2017, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
No-one got any ideas either way?
Jul 31, 2017, 06:16 PM
You need to go back and choose the frame size. Larger frames are harder to transport but can carry more payload. If you have no problem transporting a 450 then it is capable of handling more payload because it can use larger props. You mention again 4s but you cannot run the 920/980 on 4s with 12" props. It is at borderline high power level (full throttle) with 12" props on 3s. If you wish to use 4s then 9-10" props are the norm for 920/980 to stay within safe power level.

Here is ecalc data for what I use on mine. Perhaps you can use it to enter data and tweak motor, prop and battery selection to see what suits you better. Weight does not include gimbal/gopro just fpv cam.
Sep 12, 2019, 08:39 PM

2806 sunnysky ????? Not!

Just for the record I am using the sunnysky 2806 35 amp castle escs ,on a tbs discovery with Lumineers extended 9 inch arm kit,on 4 ,and 5 s lipo, and the flights aren't efficient at all.
For the V class motor that advertises efficient flight ,on 4 to 6 s lipo packs these motors really suck .wish I'd have stuck w my instincts and went with 2212,2214, 2814 or something,My flight controller is a naza wookong and after about two minutes into a flight the quad looses all stability and becomes uncontrollable.ive been flying this thing on rimfire 15 motors witch are very hungry, but I was getting a five to seven minute flight with them and it was bad to the whoop with 9 inch props .All I did was change the motors the props we're the same also.
Oct 05, 2019, 11:43 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Have you heard of xclass size quads? Check this website out it has a build list from entry price to crazy.

http://xclass.racing/products

Also with that guy above it's best to stick with the stock stuff if you don't know 100% what you are doing because you could get the biggest best motors in the world but if you don't have the right size props your multirotor might not even lift off the ground.

I mainly fly 6 inch quads because when I put a GoPro on my 5 inch I would need at least 50% throttle it seemed like but when I put the 6 inch with a steeper pitch I can now hover at 25% but I also had stronger motors and esc to start off with. You have to be careful with electric motors because the motor will still try to spin the same with any prop so a smaller props will pull less amps the the l steep pitch props. So there is so many factors that go into build a multirotor.

Getfpv com is a good place to buy parts if your in the usa. They also have pages like how to's and help out the beginner. Anyways good luck
Last edited by G.wayne; Oct 05, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
Oct 08, 2019, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacaptainchris
Just for the record I am using the sunnysky 2806 35 amp castle escs ,on a tbs discovery with Lumineers extended 9 inch arm kit,on 4 ,and 5 s lipo, and the flights aren't efficient at all.
For the V class motor that advertises efficient flight ,on 4 to 6 s lipo packs these motors really suck .wish I'd have stuck w my instincts and went with 2212,2214, 2814 or something,My flight controller is a naza wookong and after about two minutes into a flight the quad looses all stability and becomes uncontrollable.ive been flying this thing on rimfire 15 motors witch are very hungry, but I was getting a five to seven minute flight with them and it was bad to the whoop with 9 inch props .All I did was change the motors the props we're the same also.
could you tell anything about your build? have you got 400kv or 650kv version? what props are you using and what is your all up weight? what sort of flight times are you getting with those motors? im curious as i have bought same motors for my tbs upgrade (v2806 650kv). got them mounted but havent tested yet. got 1240 cf props for it. will i be dissapointed? i was aiming for saving weight to get at least 30min flight time hence upgraded plates to cf and used round cf tubes as arms. it was supposed to be upgrade but i have build whole new quad and its looking like will not use any of orginal parts ;-)
i have attached picture of my build :-)
Oct 12, 2019, 11:42 AM
He says he's got 9 inch arms, which should put him out of the efficiency range right off the bat. The smallest prop sunnysky shows on their info page is a 11 inch minimum on the 650kv w 4s, and 11 inch on 400kv w 6s... add a likely overweight fpv frame on top of that and it's out of the recommended load range for the motors.

Although I may be incorrect- it looks like he's nowhere near the sweet zone for those motors regardless of which kv he picked.
Nov 03, 2019, 03:58 PM
Bel Prince of Fresh Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by latex
it was supposed to be upgrade but i have build whole new quad and its looking like will not use any of orginal parts ;-)
i have attached picture of my build :-)
I've had a TBS Discovery sitting on my shelf unused for a few years and I'd like to do something with it. I've tried tubular arms in the past (10mm OD, 8mm ID) hoping they would be better than the DJI flamewheel arms, but they weren't. I had loads of vibration even with well balanced motors/props. You should definitely start a thread on this quad, it will be interesting to see what you do with it.

Quick Reply