Feb 19, 2002, 10:29 PM
Thread OP

Best balsa supplier?

Hey fellow E-zoners,
I'm impatiently waiting for my TwinJet to arrive, and in the mean time have been looking over Plans for a Bristol Brownie. I need to order some balsa, and would like your opinions on who supplies the best contest-grade balsa, the lighter the better...

Thanks for any help!

Sweendog
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2002, 05:14 PM

Balsa

sweendog: try Balsa USA or Lonestar Balsa. They have very good quality and great prices. Sig is also know for its balsa quality. Stay away from the craftstore and LHS brands( you know which one I mean) as the quality is not consistant, there is almost no choice ......you have to rummage through the whole lot in order to find usable wood, and the prices are higher.
just my 2 rubles worth. John Z.
Feb 20, 2002, 06:08 PM
D.G.B.

BEST BALSA SUPPLIER

I give national balsa(www.nationalbalsa.com) a triple thumbs up!!!!!!!!!! i ordered on a wensday night and a big box was at my door step on friday.The packing is super.Even the big brown truck can't hurt there package.stefanP

Ghost rider requesting a fly by..........
Feb 20, 2002, 07:54 PM
I second National Balsa, great quality and fast delivery. I tried Lonestar, and unless you ask for contest grade (i.e. $$$), you get less than acceptable wood (heavy and stiff).

Greg
Feb 21, 2002, 12:51 AM
Thread OP
Wow, thanks for the all suggestions guys! National Balsa seems to have all that I'm loking for, so I'll probably go with them. I was planning on buying _all_ contest grade balsa to stay as light as possible, with the exception of the spar and wheel mount pieces, where I think sturdier stock might be in order. I just have to find my materials list now...

Thanks again!

Bill

Quick Reply