I'm confused about air frame prices...... - RC Groups
Jul 26, 2017, 10:27 PM
Hope to get out of life alive
Discussion

I'm confused about air frame prices......

So what is the difference between a sub $1000 air frame like the AJ Acuity 2M and an Alure by Bryan Hebert at $3500. Some others are as much as $6000

I was reading through DRC1's review of the Acuity and it sounds like he is more than satisfied with it. I've read other reviews on the Alure and it sounds like it is also a very satisfying aircraft. I know I can be a little slow at times so if somebody could point me in the right direction it would help. I'm just trying to understand.

Thanks!

Ken
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2017, 11:12 PM
Brand recognition. Unless you can keep up with the Shulman's/Jesky's of the world I think paying $6-large (plus what some of these power-systems add - contra-drive/SPIN/Hacker motors, etc.) for a pattern ship is just showing off how much money you can afford to throw away. I'd like an Oxai airframe, there's no doubt they are VERY high quality as are the other high-cost 'kits', but for 1/6th the price you can get 90% of the way there (Extreme Flight, wood Acuity, etc.).

I'm going to the pattern nats in Ark. Friday to observe and I'll bet you there will be all manner of airplanes flying successfully. Spend your money on batteries and practice.
Jul 26, 2017, 11:32 PM
In the lower classes, we are not skilled enough to take advantage of the capability of the aircrafts in question.

In skilled hands they all fly well. The difference mostly lies in the hands of those flying Masters and more so FAI, which is what the Allure was designed for.

Since you called me out... lol

I own a Shinden, 2 Allures, and a recent buy of the Acuity. Why? Cause I like the looks, had the money, and Andrew and Bryan are great people and have great products.

I like the Shinden and the way it flies. With that said, I was very impressed with the Acuity. I will be finishing one Allure and build the other one at some point.

For now, I have two planes ready to fly when I go to a contest. The Shinden and the Acuity.

Brian's best quotable quote to me, "you just can't have too many pattern planes"...������

As a bottom feeder Intermediate guy, I really don't notice a difference from one plane to the other.

With that said, I may get to a point that I can feel a difference, but I'm not there yet.

Many people will have opinions and thoughts. Bottom line is, buy what you can or want to afford and fly.

If I understand correctly:

Allure was designed to perform the latest FAI as the primary goal.

The Acuity was designed to offer an economical solution with a very capable airframe that can fly FAI.

I thought I read Jason Shulman was going to fly the Acuity in the FAI NATs. Not sure if he is, but I would be interested to know, because scores posted today has Jason in 1st.

I believe both The Acuity and Allure have achieved their intended goal.

Only my opinion...

LD
Jul 27, 2017, 07:05 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Another major driver in the price difference is composite construction and finish.
CKAero will be selling the Caressa for $1800 (composite fuse and built up/film wings)
The Mryia biplane from RC-composite is $4000 and is fully composite (fuse, wings, stabs)
You can spend $8000 for a handmade Naruke or Inagaki plane from Japan ... beautiful planes, works of art.

I have pattern planes with out runners, Contras, OS Belt drives from BJCraft and Bryan.
I buy and fly them simply because I like the way they look and fly; I don't compete or attend any events.

Without proper setup and trimming, the price of the plane is irrelevant IMHO.

There is also a similar discussion in the turbine jet world, now that low cost turbines and foam airframes are being sold and flown.
You can see a RTF foam F16 for $3500 sitting next to a Skymaster/BVM/FlyEagle/xtremeARF costing well over $10,000
Jul 27, 2017, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc

There is also a similar discussion in the turbine jet world, now that low cost turbines and foam airframes are being sold and flown.
You can see a RTF foam F16 for $3500 sitting next to a Skymaster/BVM/FlyEagle/xtremeARF costing well over $10,000
Don't put Fly Eagle in that group, they really laid a bad egg when first introduced. Most contests will not allow you to fly one as they have a tendency to self destruct.....

Now they CLAIM that the company has new owners and as of yet, I've heard a few positive reports but it's early yet. They are going to be a sponsor at the upcoming Best In The West jet rally so maybe we'll see if they can live up to the hype.

As for me, I like the other four manufacturers very well and Xtreme Composites will still build you an all composite AJ Proteus if you want one. That's what Chris Odom flew to the Master's championship two years ago.
Jul 27, 2017, 07:53 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
I did not mean to start a FlyEagleJet discussion...I am sorry
I did see the Proteus on the F3ALorenz website...it's a nice looking plane.
Jul 27, 2017, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc
I did not mean to start a FlyEagleJet discussion...I am sorry
I did see the Proteus on the F3ALorenz website...it's a nice looking plane.
Oh you didn't start a fight, I was mostly just teasing you a bit. Unless you're in the middle of that turbine stuff, you'd have no way of knowing about Fly Eagle. For now, just don't buy one.... lol

This is Chris's airplane;
Jul 27, 2017, 08:16 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
I don't get in the middle of much.
I don't attend jet rallies nor pattern events; I keep to myself.
I recognize that plane, I think it was for sale here or on RCU...can't remember.
Jul 27, 2017, 09:29 PM
Hope to get out of life alive
OK, I kind of get it now. It's similar to buying a John Deere or a Case tractor. Green and yellow paint is more expensive than red paint I guess. LOL I guess the same can be said for Ford vs Chevy. Maybe not quite the same but I think the analogy is close enough for church work.

I'm new enough to pattern to not have had much chance to look at the innards of only a couple models. So far "they all look the same". haha

Ken
Jul 27, 2017, 11:11 PM
Check out the Extreme Flight Vanquish and the Caelus from F3AUnlimited. 95% for 1/6th the price...
Jul 28, 2017, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC1

I thought I read Jason Shulman was going to fly the Acuity in the FAI NATs. Not sure if he is, but I would be interested to know, because scores posted today has Jason in 1st.

LD
Yes he is flying the Acuity. Yes he is kicking everyone's butt. But then again he could just about do that with a trainer plane as well.
Jul 28, 2017, 07:29 AM
In search of speed......
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497
OK, I kind of get it now. It's similar to buying a John Deere or a Case tractor. Green and yellow paint is more expensive than red paint I guess. LOL I guess the same can be said for Ford vs Chevy. Maybe not quite the same but I think the analogy is close enough for church work.

I'm new enough to pattern to not have had much chance to look at the innards of only a couple models. So far "they all look the same". haha

Ken
A world of difference from a FORD to chevy......

I have had in the past from Plans build planes in the 90's to Oxai and anything in between......and some fly better some don't, I find that sometime event the most expensive one don't fit the owner style...meaning speed and distance, I might be his most expensive or his cheap one. Paint/covering scheme is also important, they also seem to fly really nicely on maiden...then after a while we find out the good and bad habit each plane has.

For me I no longer go to pattern events, they required practice practice practice and I now find that boring, I rather fly whatever I fell like...right now Jet
Jul 28, 2017, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qpu
Yes he is flying the Acuity. Yes he is kicking everyone's butt. But then again he could just about do that with a trainer plane as well.
My point exactly. All the pattern planes available today are very capable.

Spending top dollar on a plane isn't going to make you fly any better. Buy what you want and just practice.
Jul 28, 2017, 08:10 AM
In search of speed......
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC1
My point exactly. All the pattern planes available today are very capable.

Spending top dollar on a plane isn't going to make you fly any better. Buy what you want and just practice.
What would be the fun in that LOL
Jul 28, 2017, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qpu
Well look how many "butts" AJ has kicked with his Proteus models?

I 'gotta say, my 2M Acuity fly's so much like my Proteus it's hard to believe AJ got that kind of performance out of the less expensive all built up design. So IMHO, Jason is really flying a very nice performing model compared to the competition and with his skill to boot? We'll see, oh AC who's the new F3A team member since Brett dropped out, is flying an Element.

They're currently #1 and #2.....