Rotisserie For Painting Fuselages? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 26, 2017, 11:22 AM
more power=almost enough
Discussion

Rotisserie For Painting Fuselages?

Would anyone mind sharing photos of their setup of how they hold and secure a fuselage for painting.
I'm interested in a "Rotisserie" style of devise that can accommodate sizes from 24-90 inch lengths.
I have several concepts in mind and would like some input please.
Photos would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kerry
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2017, 08:11 AM
ARFs Are Me
I use an engine stand, purchased from the auto parts store.
Jul 28, 2017, 11:03 AM

paint stand

I LOVE your idea of engine stand for painting plane. I will look into today, as this could answer all my problems as I use spray can to paint an this could stop runs and I paint whole think at one time. Great answer to problem
Jul 29, 2017, 02:30 PM
more power=almost enough
Tom,
Thanks, great idea. I have seen that done before.
By the way, nice looking plane on the paint stand.
Care to elaborate on it a bit and any finished photos of it you would share?
Thanks, Kerry
Jul 29, 2017, 07:06 PM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech
Tom,
Thanks, great idea. I have seen that done before.
By the way, nice looking plane on the paint stand.
Care to elaborate on it a bit and any finished photos of it you would share?
Thanks, Kerry
Thanks

That's my Hostetler Cessna 195. It has a 50cc twin, up front, complete cockpit, etc. I painted her with Rustoleum.
Last edited by TomCrump; Jul 30, 2017 at 07:41 AM.
Jul 29, 2017, 07:57 PM
more power=almost enough
So I made my easy-peasy rotisserie out of 1 1/4 PVC. Put my airplane on today and got it primed.
Easy set up and it takes down quick and simple, and stores in an old folding camp chair bag.
Here are a couple of photos.
Kerry
Jul 29, 2017, 08:01 PM
more power=almost enough
Tom, nice looking, great finish! I especially like the Coca Cola can...nice touch.
Jul 29, 2017, 08:04 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
I like that idea! Simple, inexpensive, and effective. Nice job!
Jul 30, 2017, 07:39 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech
Tom, nice looking, great finish! I especially like the Coca Cola can...nice touch.
Thanks !

I like your paint stand, too. Mine takes up a lot of space, when not in use. I really like the fact that yours will store easily, in a bag.
Aug 07, 2017, 01:56 AM
CPA #100
Here's what I came up with. Just finished it tonight. Not quite so compact but still comes apart with 4 bolts. Adjustable from 24" out to 78" Should handle anything I would want to paint including a couple two meter pattern planes in the works. The height is right at 4'. The main bolt at the front is a friction fit so I can rotate to any angle and it stays put. The rear pin is music wire into a birch dowel, which is a snug fit, into the upright, allowing for small adjustments in length.

Paul
Aug 08, 2017, 02:21 PM
more power=almost enough
Paul,
I like your setup, nice and clean.
I'll be putting down my base coat tonight on my pattern plane. Perhaps I will post some photos of it as I go.
What pattern planes do you have?
Kerry
Aug 08, 2017, 10:25 PM
CPA #100
Thanks Kerry. Its my first rotisserie. I used to paint them either on my robart foam airplane stands or hanging from the old coat hangers. This will make it a lot easier and I'm looking forward to using it.

Pattern planes sheesh I've got quite a bunch. Some flying, some partially built and some still in the box. Mostly all my stuff is classic pattern all though I do have a Piorun Zeus and a Hyde Dr Jeckyll which are a bit late to be called classic, but their getting there.

Sure I would like to see some progress pics.

Paul
Aug 13, 2017, 08:31 PM
more power=almost enough
I am getting closer to finishing my new pattern plane. This weekend I got the fuselage painted. I still need to paint the accent colors on the fuselage and glaze the canopy cockpit area.
Then finish covering the rudder, and a couple more stripes on the h-stabs to match the wings.
I made this super slick (and inexpensive) rotisserie stand out of pvc to paint the fuselage, it cost me under 10 bucks. And it doubles as a work stand too!
Aug 13, 2017, 10:43 PM
CPA #100
Nice Job! Boy what a night and day difference from your earlier post.

There sure is a satisfaction to the whole painted it myself thing. Funny we were both painting today.

I ended up reshooting the yellow and red on my pops DB Arf. The rotisserie makes it so much easier.

I'm wondering what the heck took me so long to make one. Lazy, I guess.

Next up I'm working on a modular spray booth.

Paul
Aug 14, 2017, 10:17 PM
I hang mine from the ceiling.
Edwin