Jul 25, 2017, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Old Free Flight Models

I'm helping an elderly friend clear out his storage unit. He's a life long modeler, machinist, and former hobby shop owner. The storage unit has a bunch of free flight models in various stages of disrepair. He's got some control line stuff too. Frankly, I don't know what to do with the planes. I suspect the real value of these has long been recognized, that is, the joy of building and flying them. I know you all want pictures and I can take some, but really, is there any value in these types of planes? I'm talking Witch Doctor type of stuff. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Rick
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2017, 08:53 PM
You don't get much for old F/F models, but perhaps a little more if they have engines in them....Do they?
Even I/C engines these days are not worth much.
May I suggest put some pics up of the models, with a crazy price on them just to get rid of them.
Sounds, cruel, but it's the way it is I'm afraid.
Jul 25, 2017, 09:37 PM
B for Bruce
They are basically worth a smile from and to anyone that will take them. There are very few free flighters anymore and fewer every year.

Some of the local RC guys might get some fun out of adapting them to RC climb and glide style models.
Aug 14, 2017, 06:33 PM
I went with Tom Boice to sort through a modeler's stuff after the modeler had passed.
A relative wanted the stuff gone through in hopes of selling same.
We gathered together Free Flight components to planes to help the man.
When time to make offers, we were saying $30 bucks for a chosen 1/2A model w/sport engine.
Guy thought he was being robbed, apparently thinking more like $300 per model.
All Jap-tissued models would have to be recovered, due to no strength left in Jap tissue.
You really could not handle models without fingers falling through the tissue.

He offered us our choice of model...., politely throwing us out!

He thought he had a goldmine there!
We wasted several hours trying to help him organize the total mess he had at hand.

ScratchBuildrSAM
Aug 15, 2017, 06:31 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the input, it much appreciated. My main issue now is to convince the owner that what he thought had great value is not so great after all. It's a sad thing really. to go through the possessions of someone you care about and see loads of stuff with little value. Remains of time wasted? Changing values in technology and society? It all makes me want to have less stuff!
Rick
Aug 15, 2017, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yel914
Thanks for the input, it much appreciated. My main issue now is to convince the owner that what he thought had great value is not so great after all. It's a sad thing really. to go through the possessions of someone you care about and see loads of stuff with little value. Remains of time wasted? Changing values in technology and society? It all makes me want to have less stuff!
Rick

If YOU try to tell of very little value, you will be the bad guy!

ScratchBuildrSAM
Aug 15, 2017, 06:57 PM
B for Bruce
I agree. So take your phone or tablet along and show him this thread and our own opinions on the matter. Maybe that'll help.

Around the Willamette valley in Oregon where I go to fly in three meets a year there is a local guy's barn that is about half full of free flight models, engines and other bits and pieces from a life of hobby building and flying of many passed members. No prices on anything. Just pay what small amount you are interested in to the club. And there are fewer and fewer each year to look the stuff over and rescue a box here or a model there.

Free Flight is rapidly approaching a near extinction level of activity. I don't think it will ever die totally but it's never again going to be a major player in modeldom. And with this waning interest in the branch of the hobby there is lots of models, lots of engines and other stuff that few are interested in since they are generally all older and have their shop full of stuff.

It's a sad state of affairs but it's what we are seeing all too often. It also means that the models are worth no more than a smile and a "Thankyou" from anyone that has any interest in them at all.
Aug 15, 2017, 08:28 PM
Culper Junior
Actually I comb through Craigslist and other sites looking for old models.

Sometimes (rarely) something pops up but it's not common. I think most of the Free Flight models from the 50's and 60's are already gone.

Anybody in the tristate area reading this....call me before you throw any airframes out.

Jim.
Aug 16, 2017, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
Showing my friend this thread is something I've already done, as well as contacting Bob Angle with SAM. He put out a call on his web list, but no responses. My friend was a master model maker, as well as a fine machinist. He picked up the remains of the Anderson Spitfire and Super Cyclone engine inventory with hopes of building engines for sale. Alas, the world has changed and left him behind. A very sorry state indeed.
Aug 17, 2017, 06:55 PM
B for Bruce
There's still a strong interest in the old spark engines. So if he's got enough stock that all or most of the key parts of these engines are there then that would indeed be at least a small gold mine if the stock could be used to assemble and sell complete engines.
Aug 18, 2017, 06:55 AM
Thread OP
Yes, I've run across most of the parts for those Anderson and the Super Cyclone, but there are probably more. I've been looking at the action on Ebay for those engines as well and they do seem to sell a bit. Came across a Taplin Twin the other day, missing parts, but still a rare find. It's a treasure hunt for sure.
Rick
Aug 18, 2017, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Around the Willamette valley in Oregon where I go to fly in three meets a year there is a local guy's barn that is about half full of free flight models, engines and other bits and pieces from a life of hobby building and flying of many passed members. No prices on anything. Just pay what small amount you are interested in to the club. And there are fewer and fewer each year to look the stuff over and rescue a box here or a model there.
I'm glad I read this. I'll bring some cash with me to see if anything strikes my fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Free Flight is rapidly approaching a near extinction level of activity. I don't think it will ever die totally but it's never again going to be a major player in modeldom. And with this waning interest in the branch of the hobby there is lots of models, lots of engines and other stuff that few are interested in since they are generally all older and have their shop full of stuff.
As someone who is new to the hobby, it is very difficult to find good instruction in person because of this waning interest. There is a plethora of information online but not all of it agrees with itself and so it leaves a lot of ambiguity for the new builder/flyer. What I miss the most, and the main reason I'm travelling to Tangent in a few weeks, is the ability to have immediate guidance and coaching while I learn to fly.
Aug 18, 2017, 01:31 PM
De-Brushed user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMechsRobot
I'm glad I read this. I'll bring some cash with me to see if anything strikes my fancy.

As someone who is new to the hobby, it is very difficult to find good instruction in person because of this waning interest. There is a plethora of information online but not all of it agrees with itself and so it leaves a lot of ambiguity for the new builder/flyer. What I miss the most, and the main reason I'm travelling to Tangent in a few weeks, is the ability to have immediate guidance and coaching while I learn to fly.
Something I try to remind myself while too onerously researching how to do something (currently stick and tissue dope jobs) is that there are many ways to do an adequate job, and the main difference between the end result of any number of them comes down to individual skill and craftsmanship. So reading about dope vs banana oil vs krylon, for my models at the early stage of my free flight building efforts, it is most imprtant to just build and fly and improve. Narrowing down on a preferred method latee on.

That is what I am trying to tell myself, anyways.
Aug 18, 2017, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFplanekid
Something I try to remind myself while too onerously researching how to do something (currently stick and tissue dope jobs) is that there are many ways to do an adequate job, and the main difference between the end result of any number of them comes down to individual skill and craftsmanship. So reading about dope vs banana oil vs krylon, for my models at the early stage of my free flight building efforts, it is most imprtant to just build and fly and improve. Narrowing down on a preferred method latee on.

That is what I am trying to tell myself, anyways.
Good advice. It's the method I choose as well. I just lament that fact that it takes longer to perfect a method through trial and error rather than having a teacher.
Sep 01, 2017, 09:55 PM
BMatthews said,

"There's still a strong interest in the old spark engines. So if he's got enough stock that all or most of the key parts of these engines are there then that would indeed be at least a small gold mine if the stock could be used to assemble and sell complete engines."

Have to offer an opposing view here.
My experience is that engine prices are falling through the floor.
Ignition engines, even modern 4-stroke engines are selling at bargain prices.
A large component in those falling values is the popularity of electric power.

I tried for 15-20 years to get an 85 year old flying buddy to sell off his 700 old engines.
He never would and now they are but a mere fraction of their original collector values.

Today, Ebay prices agree with my analysis. The older collectors are largely done buying.
Old, etc engine values are really low in price.

ScratchBuildrSAM

Quick Reply