Jul 25, 2017, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Question

Newbie questions about sensored brushless motors.

Hi all,

So I guess this isn't technically RC since that isn't what I'm using it for. But I'm building a project that uses relatively high-power brushless motors (1-2kw) and it's my first introduction to the world of RC motors/ESCs/etc. I'm using BLDC motors in a 100:1 gearbox as an actuator. Often, they get stalled; other times, I'm running them at a very low throttle and they get backdriven. My purpose with this is to provide resistance to the backdrive while still allowing it to happen. My current sensorless brushless motors twitch around when I try to do that, which makes sense given the reading I've done on sensorless motors.

To try and solve this problem, I am wondering: a) if sensored motors have closer to my desired behavior in these instances, and b) if I can hook up the sensor to an external Arduino or something and use that as a position encoder. Here is the motor and esc I'm looking to switch to.

Thanks in advance for your help!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2017, 08:18 PM
just look at it smokin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by andzerb View Post
Hi all,

So I guess this isn't technically RC since that isn't what I'm using it for. But I'm building a project that uses relatively high-power brushless motors (1-2kw) and it's my first introduction to the world of RC motors/ESCs/etc. I'm using BLDC motors in a 100:1 gearbox as an actuator. Often, they get stalled; other times, I'm running them at a very low throttle and they get backdriven. My purpose with this is to provide resistance to the backdrive while still allowing it to happen. My current sensorless brushless motors twitch around when I try to do that, which makes sense given the reading I've done on sensorless motors.

To try and solve this problem, I am wondering: a) if sensored motors have closer to my desired behavior in these instances, and b) if I can hook up the sensor to an external Arduino or something and use that as a position encoder. Here is the motor and esc I'm looking to switch to.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi

Yes, a sensored motor contains 3 hall sensors that encode its rotor positioon, so it is synchronous even at zero speed.
Jul 27, 2017, 02:13 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Most E-traction applications use sensored controllers.
www.endless-sphere.com

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Jul 27, 2017, 07:43 PM
Yes - adding sensors allows the motor to generate full torque at zero RPM as long as you have a proper controller. The sensors have to be precisely located in the motor.
Aug 26, 2017, 03:37 PM
Builder first, pilot second
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Yes - adding sensors allows the motor to generate full torque at zero RPM as long as you have a proper controller. The sensors have to be precisely located in the motor.
R/C car and trucks often use sensored motors that reason. You can buy an off-the-shelf ESC that supports sensored operation rather than trying to put something together yourself. If you were to pull apart a sensored car motor you would find that the sensors are mounted exactly120 apart. Beyond that, timing is controlled in software.

Here is an exampke of a sensored ESC designed for 3S/120amps: https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekin-r....5t-tektt2738/
Aug 26, 2017, 04:08 PM
Hi
Castle creations is selling sensored ESC (or Combos)
Mamba X and Mamba Micro X
Louis

Quick Reply