1/25 Embrear ERJ-175 Depron Build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 25, 2017, 01:04 PM
Airliner Builder
Build Log

1/25 Embrear ERJ-175 Depron Build

The challange: build an E-Jet 175 in the same scale as my 737-400 but with retractable LG. It must be able to take off on my grass runway despite the smaller wing.

Specs:
50" fuselage
45" wing (including V2 winglets)

3mm Depron fuselage
2mm Depron tail and wing

Dr. Mad Thrust 10 blade 50mm EDFs (4S)

Internal rudder linkage, elevators, retracts, ailerons, fixed flaps, slats and maybe functioning spoilerons.

Plans are from Murphs Models and available at ECardmodels. They are scaled up 244%.
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Jul 25, 2017 at 01:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2017, 01:10 PM
Airliner Builder
The nose is built in the typical fashion. The NG mount is a little overkill but I won't ever have to worry about the grass tearing it out

I usually wait until the whole fuselage is complete before spackle and sanding.
Jul 25, 2017, 01:18 PM
Airliner Builder
The tail is supported by balsa mounts inside the fusleage. These pieces also flatten the foam for a clean look.

The vertical stabilizor spar is glued to one of the bulkheads.
Jul 25, 2017, 01:21 PM
Airliner Builder
The vertical stabilizor and rudder was then covered so I could add the internal linkage and hinge the rudder with CA hinges and canopy (white) glue.
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Jul 25, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Jul 25, 2017, 01:24 PM
Airliner Builder
The horizontal spar was then built on to the fuselage as usual. The balsa spar gives the correct dihedral and strength. Then there is a main spar for the shape and TE spar for the elevator hinges.

The elevators use 3.7g micro servos from HeadsUpHobby. They have a higher stall tourque than the common HXT/TP 5g servos.
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Jul 25, 2017 at 07:49 PM.
Jul 25, 2017, 06:15 PM
Very neat.
Nice to someone who is not frightened to use Depron as the only structural component in a flying surface along with 3.7 g servos as well.
I do wonder if it would be actually lighter to do away with the wood reinforcement altogether and run a 'one piece' all Depron tail plane through the fuselage.
Jul 25, 2017, 06:30 PM
Looking good as always Ethan!
Jul 25, 2017, 06:33 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Another great built in 5days Ethan-liner
Latest blog entry: My RC 737 Assembly line!
Jul 25, 2017, 07:58 PM
Airliner Builder
Thanks guys! I feel guilty starting this project with two other depron builds (ATR and the Beechcraft) stored away but I am really determined to build a small sized grass runway airliner before the summer is over. Plus jets are just way cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
Very neat.
Nice to someone who is not frightened to use Depron as the only structural component in a flying surface along with 3.7 g servos as well.
I do wonder if it would be actually lighter to do away with the wood reinforcement altogether and run a 'one piece' all Depron tail plane through the fuselage.
Agreed, a once piece built-up depron tail would probably be lighter but I think this is the quickest way because it generally looks cleaner to build straight off the curved fuselage. Yes, there is a little flex with the depron spars but I think people need to realize that these planes are built to fly not to crash. I only add little reinforcements here and there because I am clumsy loading and unloading these models from my car

I was skeptical of the 3.7g servos out there but they really are strong little units. I have 4g servos powering the ailerons on my 6 lbs/2.7kg 767 and they work fine.
Jul 25, 2017, 08:51 PM
Airliner Builder
Installed the horizontal stab fairings, tail cone and 9g rudder servo.
Jul 25, 2017, 10:27 PM
Airliner Builder
Moving towards the front.
Jul 26, 2017, 12:42 AM
The balsa tail supports in the rolled depron has always seemed like a very clever solution that is unique in your builds. Gotta say, it has a very successful result!
Jul 26, 2017, 03:43 PM
Just curious, how do you use the ECardmodels plans in your build ?

I'm assuming that you enlarge the pattern, trace it onto the depron, cut it out and roll it as if it were paper ?

The sections seem to go together well and the results are great !

Can you link me to any of your build threads where you show the the enlarged paper patterns ?

Thanks.
Jul 26, 2017, 08:17 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Ethan's 175 will be maideing by August 28th, just a prediction.lol
Jul 27, 2017, 08:13 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy
Moving towards the front.
Very precise 175 tail section Ethan, you've perfected the art of Card-models!