Turn Left?? Left Turn?? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 21, 2004, 10:00 PM
Lift is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms
Saw one down our strip last weekend. Cracking plane

Slower than I expected but very very nice.

--
Dave
Nice because of the quality or design aesthetics? Wonder why hobby-lobby is sitting on it?? My guess/2 cents worth: they are trying to figure out best power for it and are having trouble making it move fast enough with inexpensive systems like axi????
Last edited by Rayven; Nov 21, 2004 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2004, 10:35 PM
A Mega 16/15/3 or 4 will make the Turn Left rock. I had been flying a XXS with a 16/7/8 on 3s and it's already hitting 50-60mph.
Nov 22, 2004, 06:06 AM
what wing man??

turn,,--??

Yep,, it could be just working out the best power set-up,, but ,,a month??,, me still saving my pennies too,,
Nov 22, 2004, 02:35 PM
Professional idiot
Both the design and the quality are superb.

Hign quality epoxy glass fuselage with carbon canopy. Good woodwork. The wing is pressure moulded so the fine quality veneer follows the swept wing tips etc, hard razor thin trailing edge. Never seen a veneered foam wing this good.

I guess HL may be trying to work out what market aim this at and if it fits. They carry very little of the range and F5D-Limited as a racing class seems to have limited support outside mainland Europe.

The one I saw had 3 cells and a Mega 22/10/5

--
Dave
Nov 22, 2004, 03:23 PM
Admin Deluxe
Hey guys
Hobby Lobby will more than likely carry the Left Turn but the plane is currently on back order with Simprop. More information to come.

Jim T. Graham
PR - Hobby Lobby
Nov 22, 2004, 11:24 PM
what wing man??

back order

yes,, got some more pennies!!,, please tell us more ??
Nov 23, 2004, 07:09 AM
F5D-Pylonracing
Quote:
Is that wing molded or foam core??
@Troy
To say exactly: The Wing is moulded but not in the way you are thinking about. The wing is foam core having abachi coating, but production is done in heated moulds due to wing tips and production cycle. So be careful if you are coating the wing yourself with film, because if you heat the wing too much, you will get bumps on the surface! Would be fine for a supercritical wing but not for this one. The foam beneath just expands if it is heated again. You can simply sand off the bumps and try it again with colder iron, more careful, so... the ARF version is not such a bad idea!

The difference between "LiftOff xxs" and "Turn Left" wing is that the last one has a spar inside. So the wing is perhaps twice as stiff as the xxs. But it is still not enough for a clean F5D setup - absolutely not! So perhaps 500W engine class might be a sensible upper limit for this model. But we still did not test this!

In "F5D-Limited" race we fly GM Dr.Speed engines having 250-300W and the wing doesn't show remarkable bending during turns. A "LiftOffxxs" wing can collapse during F5D race as Paul Schreiber showed in Kirchdorf/GER 2003 - with a 250-300W engine! So there is a difference between these wings but we actually did not test the limit on the 0-series "Turn Left" airframes. Because it is quite hard to get a new one! As I have heard, Simprop is actually one month behind delivery plan due to fuselage production. Till end of december they hope to be in plan - rumours say... But the model is worth waiting for!

During this season we flew the 0-series planes in "F5D-Limited" competition here in Germany and we had quite a lot of fun. The handling is very easy, setup no problem. It is simply a very funny racer and we had 11 new pilots on our F5D competitions - just because of the new class "F5D-Limited" where the "Turn Left" has been designed for! And there could have been some more pilots but they are still waiting too...
Siggi
Last edited by Siggi; Nov 23, 2004 at 07:33 AM.
Nov 23, 2004, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven
Nice because of the quality or design aesthetics?
The aesthetics are very subjective, personally I think it looks hideous!
Nov 23, 2004, 08:49 AM
Speed Demon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggi
......During this season we flew the 0-series planes in "F5D-Limited" competition here in Germany and we had quite a lot of fun. The handling is very easy, setup no problem. It is simply a very funny racer and we had 11 new pilots on our F5D competitions - just because of the new class "F5D-Limited" where the "Turn Left" has been designed for! And there could have been some more pilots but they are still waiting too...
Siggi
Siggi, great idea on the middle class racer. Anything you can do to bridge the gap between the top speed competion models and a sport plane helps pilots transition up to the next step.
Nov 23, 2004, 11:57 PM
Blue skies forever!!
Looks are subjective....but hideous??? Now that's a little harsh... I just like the fact that is so different from your typical T-tail hotliner configuration. Must find more pennies......Maybe I'll crack into my kid's penny bank. Any word yet on how much the ARF version will cost?

Jeff
Nov 24, 2004, 01:26 AM
what wing man??
i like the look ,, hideous??? not to me
Nov 24, 2004, 10:20 AM
F5D-Pylonracing
Quote:
Siggi, great idea on the middle class racer. Anything you can do to bridge the gap between the top speed competion models and a sport plane helps pilots transition up to the next step.
Yes, but this is not the only one part of the idea! The "F5D-Limited" is not just a kind of junior class, it is something different. Some people don't like to spend much money for their sport (or: some people have a very strict wife ) so they like pylon racing at all but not with complete high-end material due to cost aspects. So it is NOT a beginner class, it is simply a sport class with restricted (limited ) material. Perhaps you can compare this idea with NASCAR and Formular 1 motorracing: Nobody would say NASCAR Racing is a beginner class! (if - you would be killed I guess )

The racing in both classes is very different: In F5D you have no time for tactics or tricks. In F5D-Limited you have enough time to fight for positions. You can fly a turn in a manner that your competitors have to give way - or you hit them! So in Kirchdorf we tried to start in very very short period, around 1.5-2 seconds all 3 models were airborne. So you have now 6-7 rounds where nobody can get rid of his competitors around! Racing in this class is just another kind of racing and this is the reason why it is so interesting and makes so much fun. In the course pilots often to talk to each other, it is a very funny atmosphere.

"F5D-Limited" is always a good reason to try pylon racing for the first time. And if you had been there once, you will never get rid of pylon virus for your whole life! Some people begin with this class and fly later on F5D. But other pilots just fly F5D-Limited and simply don't want to fly F5D - even later. So it is very interesting what happens in the future with both classes. We are very happy now to have both kind of electric pylon racing sport in Germany. Especially young people like F5D-Limited very much. 2003 we had 27 active electric pylon pilots at all, in 2004 we had 39! In 2005 - we will see.
Siggi
Nov 24, 2004, 11:29 AM
Siggi,

If cost is the main reason, wouldn't Sp400 pylon racing be cheaper?
Just a thought.
Nov 25, 2004, 07:22 AM
Speed Demon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggi
......"F5D-Limited" is always a good reason to try pylon racing for the first time. And if you had been there once, you will never get rid of pylon virus for your whole life! Some people begin with this class and fly later on F5D. But other pilots just fly F5D-Limited and simply don't want to fly F5D - even later......
This also reminds me of the F5DSD class flown by the Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego.

"F5D-SD PYLON
RULES

PURPOSE
The purpose of this class is to provide a competition, which enables the development of new F5D pilots. The rules result in an aircraft that is easier to launch, has good flying characteristics and flies at a speed near that of a normal F5D racer. The class will equalize the aircrafts speed capabilities and will result in the best pilot winning. This class is designed around an Avionic D99 aircraft but any aircraft that meets the surface area requirements may be flown.

D2000 $255 Icare-rc (not SDF5D legal)
D99 $259 Icare-rc
27/26/2 $125 Aveox
SL-18 $120 Aveox

RULES
The races shall be conducted under the current FAI F5D rules except as follows:

1. Motor Allowed: Aveox 27/26/2 [1010-2Y equivalent]

2. Speed Control Allowed: Aveox SL-18

3. Cells Allowed: Seven Zapped Sanyo CP1300

4. Propeller Allowed: APC 6.5x5.5

5. Minimum Surface Area (wing and stab combined): 175 sq. in.

6. All racers will launch at the same time.

7. Finish order will determine the winner.

8. Cuts will be assessed a one lap penalty (unless the plane goes back and makes the turn).

Troy Peterson
"
Nov 25, 2004, 08:56 AM
I plan to take over world
Hi Siggi,
We are maybe starting a limited class in Finland too but with cheap brushless motors. What would you choose for TurnLeft from this list of Mega motors? http://www.strat.at/ the link is on the left. Do you know what is the Kv. of the Dr.Speed 21T what you are using?

Still remember what koskenkorva is
/Antti