How to theoretically convert a toy quadcopter into a fixed-wing plane - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 24, 2017, 04:56 PM
Mini-HowTo

How to theoretically convert a toy quadcopter into a fixed-wing plane

Here's an idea that I recently thought of. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find anything like it so I decided to make a post about it.
Basically, here's how the conversion should work:

[1]obtain a standard 6-axis quadcopter.
[2]remove all the electronics
[3]build an airframe that can accommodate the electronics, but the rotor assembly is tilted 90 degrees so now all the rotors still have their x-shaped arrangement, but are facing forward. The flight controller should maintain its original orientation(see my terrible ms paint diagram).
[4]install the electronics.
[5] hope it flies.

This new configuration is theoretically capable of flying, with the correct firmware. You see, as soon as the plane starts to accelerate, the accelerometer will detect this, and will want to slow the craft down. Since the flight controller assumes that the quadcopter - turned-plane is unmodified, it will do this by decelerating the two rear motors(now above the cg) and accelerating the two front motors(now below the cg). as a result, the whole plane will pitch up, but the gyros will detect this and rotate the plane back by applying the exact opposite corrections. In the worst case, the plane will develop an uncontrollable porpoising and crash, or it could balance out and fly level. Other than that, the plane should fly somewhat normally, except for the fact that unwanted rolling will be counteracted by yawing(slowing down both of the motors on the respective side) in the opposite direction, and vice versa. Because of this, the roll and yaw channels will also be switched. To combat this, you would have to install your own firmware, which has already been demonstrated on a cx-10 in another thread. by doing this, you may also be able to make a VTOL plane. This has already been done in aircraft like the Parrot Swing, but by modifying a very inexpensive quadcopter, one can achieve similar results at a fraction of the cost. Also, since fpv quads can now be had for ridiculously low prices, you could fly fpv without any additional mods. That being said, this is just a very elaborate thought experiment as of now, so let me know what you think of it.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2017, 11:13 PM
Edit: to correct the yaw-roll problem, motors A must be wired to the contacts for B, and vice versa.
Jul 26, 2017, 09:33 AM
Fan of pusher multirotors
The proper way of making a convertiplane is to use a variable-angle wing or variable-angle rotors.

Your idea is possible, but wildly impractical.
Jul 26, 2017, 09:40 AM
Its been done, needs different fc fw , its possible to make it VTOL , switch between quad and plane...
Can't remember where I saw it now but the plane was a simple wing iirc.