Revell Fairplay X Tug - RC Groups
Jul 24, 2017, 09:03 AM
Discussion

Revell Fairplay X Tug

While surfing through You Tube the other day, I stumbled across several videos of this kit. This kit is 144th scale and is only a little over 7 1/8" long.

What amazed me was the fact that several modelers had modded this kit for radio control and further more had somehow been able to control the individual Shottel drives to function (although not rotateable) to act much as the real ones.

How is this done? Unfortunately, I was unable to find any further info. Most of the videos were in German.

Your thoughts?

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2017, 12:50 PM
hmm looks like a fun little project. my assumption is a cordless motor in each pod and a servo horn at the top to rotate the whole thing pod. Or differential thrust.
Jul 24, 2017, 01:51 PM
I think it was differential thrust, I could not see any movement of the propeller shrouds in any of the videos.

Take a look on YouTube, just search for Fairplay tug, or Revell Fairplay tug.

I sure would like to copy their ingenuity, run it in my pool.

Dave
Jul 28, 2017, 07:32 PM
I picked up the tiny Imex Smit Nederland (1:400?) to convert. I am thinking about gutting one of the cheapy rc micro China boats on Ebay as a donor. But that might be cheating,,, I dunno. I like how Flynelson(?) did his micro boat builds.
BTW, the IMEX pic is not mine, my boat is packed away in the ever increasing model stash.
Jul 28, 2017, 09:25 PM
Just Plane Nutts
If gutting another boat for necessary hardware, and if you want a working rudder, then a used boat like the Proboat Impulse 9 or Black Jack 9 might be a better choice for a parts donor. One of those will provide you with rudder control, while the toy boat shown in your posting has twin props and steers by differential thrust only, and usually have very limited range. I suggested a used one because micro proboats cost around $80 new. I DO see several used ones on eBay up for bid for far less.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jul 28, 2017 at 09:33 PM.
Jul 28, 2017, 10:16 PM
We'll see, this hull is barely 5" long. I like that Fairplay though.
Jul 28, 2017, 10:58 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkft1
We'll see, this hull is barely 5" long. I like that Fairplay though.

I thought A67ems said it was 7" long. Oh no, it shrinks if it gets wet!

Jul 29, 2017, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
I thought A67ems said it was 7" long. Oh no, it shrinks if it gets wet!

Maybe the difference between a Revell Fairplay X at the start of the thread and an IMEX Smit Nederland mentioned later?
Jul 29, 2017, 11:06 AM
Yes, the Revell Fairplay is larger than the Imex Smit Nederland. I have seen a few vids on a succesfully converted Fairplay, cool little project. ,
Jul 29, 2017, 12:43 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
Maybe the difference between a Revell Fairplay X at the start of the thread and an IMEX Smit Nederland mentioned later?

Ah. I didn't catch the switch. My bad.
Aug 03, 2017, 08:08 AM
Aha, I have had an inspiration. May not be feasible but here goes!

I have noticed that very small coreless motors are available (Chinese manufactured). There are some that are only 4mm in diameter (which would fit into the scale drive pods).

Problem being, knowing NOTHING about motors in general and even less about micro coreless motors, would these be controllable with the hacked servo concept. Replacing the servo motor with one of these. The rpm of these is extremely high, above 50,000 rpm. Would the electronics of the servo be able to slow them down to a suitable boat speed?

Your thoughts on this idea?

Dave
Aug 03, 2017, 11:52 AM
The motor you are speaking about are generally used for vibration.

You mean something like this?

http://s.aliexpress.com/YfYNJjIZ
Aug 03, 2017, 01:25 PM
Here some interesting information

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum...threadID=54544
Aug 03, 2017, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67ems

I have noticed that very small coreless motors are available (Chinese manufactured). There are some that are only 4mm in diameter (which would fit into the scale drive pods).

Problem being, knowing NOTHING about motors in general and even less about micro coreless motors, would these be controllable with the hacked servo concept. Replacing the servo motor with one of these. The rpm of these is extremely high, above 50,000 rpm. Would the electronics of the servo be able to slow them down to a suitable boat speed?

Dave
Servo electronics will handle any small DC motor provided that the motor is happy with the voltage that the servo runs on and doesn't want more current than it can pass. The eventual RPM of the motor is irrelevant, it gets its average voltage from the PWM output of the servo, draws its current, and spins. The usual constraint of hacked servos applies - the deadband is very narrow and the slope between stop and full go is very steep, but it is proportional in that band. For most of my boats where I initially used servo guts I now use either Action Pico ESCs or the "Chinese 10A" available from ebay. Smaller versions claiming lower current are available as a bare board - solder your own wiring on. No idea how good they might be.
Using the motors in azipods might be its own problem - brushed motors do not like getting wet on the inside. Brushless seem to get away with it because it is possible to insulate all the otherwise live metal since the coils are fixed. They just need a way to ensure that any bearing surfaces are lubed.
Aug 03, 2017, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67ems

Dave
I think it's coreless motor as you suggested