Jul 22, 2017, 09:10 PM
Everything is broken
Thread OP
Question

HS82mg servo - will Karbonite gearset fit?

Hi - wondering if the metal gearset in my HS82mg servos is interchangeable with the Karbonite gearset? They've developed some slop, and the replacement metal gearset is 2 -3x the price of the Karbonite. Almost the price of a new servo, from some sellers.

I've also read that you can turn one or more of the gears 180* on it's shaft so that less-worn teeth are meshing. Any experience with that?
Thanks.

- Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2017, 01:22 AM
Julian T
No experience with turning the gear)s) but doubt it would work. I have replaced metal with karbonite to eliminate slop in a gear train - it works well and providing the gear train is not subjected to hard shock will last virtually indefinitely without slop.

Julian
Jul 24, 2017, 12:38 PM
Team AJ Aircraft / Team JR
There is no Karbonite gearset available for the HS-82MG. You can use either the HS-81 gears or the HS-82MG gears.
Jul 24, 2017, 05:29 PM
Everything is broken
Thread OP
Yes, I discovered that as I searched for the replacement sets. HiTec made a lot of servos with Karbonite gears, but never the HS-81/82. I found the resin gear set (why don't they just call it what it is....plastic!) for $2.70 or the metal for $10.

I may try opening one up and try turning the gears tonight, just to see if there's any improvement. I'm not sure which gears typically get the most wear, but I'd guess most of the wear is around the center point of the servo so there should be part of some of the gears that is less worn.

Maybe too much effort for $20 servos

Quick Reply