This thread is privately moderated by jmxp69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 22, 2017, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

T&B Tidewater Unbox, Build, and Maiden

Aloft recently had a sale featuring the Tidewater. I did a little reading and the best I can figure, this is a Flyzone design currently carried by Tower in a receiver ready configuration for about $170. Aloft's version comes in kit form i.e. no electronics for $55. The Aloft version of the plane is made by T&B Model (Hong Kong) and it is clearly a Flyzone knock-off. Even the manual used the same fonts and print layout. The plane has graphics on the Fuse that say "Seagull". The box says Tidewater and Seagull. For me, it's just a Tidewater.

The following videos go through the unbox, build and maiden. Nothing particularly illuminating, but I have a few thoughts on the plane.

1) The battery hatch on the nose would be a great place for FPV Cam/Tx. Eventually I'll put some gear on it and fly it that way.
2) The battery compartment is big enough and placed close enough to CG to allow some experimentation with battery size. I'm confident a Multi-star 5000 3s pack will fit and balance.
3) Rudder is required - I've flown the plane a couple of times now and rudder is necessary. It gets uncoordinated in yank and bank only maneuvers. That's not to say uncontrollable, but it does get sloppy. If you're not a regular rudder user (you know who you are), this plane would probably be a good candidate for some aileron/rudder mixing.
4) It does loop and roll but I wouldn't call that a strong suit, nor should it be. It's a short span, high mount wing with dihedral. It's just a docile little flyer.

In closing, it would be difficult to fault this $55 plane. It flies fine, no drama taking off or landing. Fit and finish are acceptable. Not much more to say...

Unbox:
Tidewater Seagull Unbox (9 min 45 sec)

Build Review:
Tech - Tidewater Seaplane Build Review (7 min 1 sec)

Maiden:
ParkFly - T&B Model Tidewater (Seagull) Maiden (9 min 20 sec)
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply