Aug 19, 2019, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
Did Cap Johnson fly them while in the Navy?
Yes, different variants including Adversary models and the A-4KU while liaison to Kuwait. Fighter Pilot to the core!

Gene K
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 07:08 AM
Has anyone glassed and painted one of these A-4's? I'd love to have one as the A-4 is my favorite jet but I'm not crazy about the foam exterior that is easily dented, dinged etc. Glass offers such a nice clean finish also.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:09 AM
Fly and let Fly!
Activity here on the thread combined with calmer air got me inspired to get mine up.!!! Thank You..
Nice few flights... My runway is eating my tires for lunch and dinner though.!!! Put on all the accoutrements for some flights.. Forgot the fuel fill though... Bummer..
Ran through just 2 Admiral Carbon 5100's, oh and I like my hump..!!
Aug 19, 2019, 11:20 AM
All aboard Flight 666
I’m glad u were able to get it up.

Lookin good btw
Aug 19, 2019, 12:02 PM
What would be a good edf upgrade to make this
A-4 into a rocket?
Aug 19, 2019, 12:05 PM
Retired US Navy
It’s a rocket stock. The real one was called a hot rod and the model is too.
Aug 19, 2019, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
Activity here on the thread combined with calmer air got me inspired to get mine up.!!!
What an absolute beauty!! Could you summarize some of your finish methods/techniques, please? Things like how you primed, what paints you used, how you made the markings, and how you finished up ... .

Thanks!

Gene K
Aug 19, 2019, 04:23 PM
Michael S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
I just finished this A-4 for my friend Captain Bob Johnson (USN, Ret). It's the VC-12 "Fighting Omars" aircraft in which he took his last flight as the Wing Commander at NAS Oceana, Virginia. That's him holding the model.

Markings are home made laser printed. Model will be flown without the hump. Cartoon is modified from a postcard I got through Pat Cherry's Blackheart site

Gene K
Very nice.
Aug 19, 2019, 05:11 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
oops....
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Aug 20, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Aug 19, 2019, 10:10 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
What an absolute beauty!! Could you summarize some of your finish methods/techniques, please? Things like how you primed, what paints you used, how you made the markings, and how you finished up ... .

Thanks!

Gene K
Thanks Gene... Really..
Although I did take my time and the like.. No fancy airbrushes or paint mixing..
All available rattle cans purchased from Hobby Lobby, both Krylon and Testors.. Did prep using a wipe down with alcohol and a few light coats of spray water based polyurethane... I guessed at the spotting camo and carefully but quickly and close enough avoiding overspray to attempt at clean break lines.. Made them with obviously a different color, no masking at all.. (except for the walkway black, canopy and then the yellow. Wanted yellow nostrils from the beginning). Trick was the second and third coats to make the darker color solid without veering off track making more bleeding...
Some Callie Graphics... Afterwards misted here and there the whole thing with Testors dull coat, and more water based polyurethane streaking in the direction of airflow... Did nothing to the underside... Cliff
Aug 19, 2019, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
No fancy airbrushes or paint mixing.
Thanks, Cliff. I sought out your previous pics in this thread -- great job.

Gene K
Aug 20, 2019, 04:15 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974
Has anyone glassed and painted one of these A-4's? I'd love to have one as the A-4 is my favorite jet but I'm not crazy about the foam exterior that is easily dented, dinged etc. Glass offers such a nice clean finish also.
I'd be concerned about the added weight with a new glass exterior. Maybe an 8S system would suffice if you did do it?
Don
Aug 22, 2019, 11:04 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
OK, enough is enough... I've decided I'm going to snag up an A-4
I just need to keep the wife happy and wait a couple weeks to get back from vacation

so the hard parts over, now I am looking at what the squadron markings will be for the humpless A-4E and was hoping to hear from anyone that has outfitted theirs with nav lights. I only recall seeing one post where Pavel did an amazing job...apologies if I overlooked anyone and if there are others out there that have I'd love to see your glam shots I need ideas of which LEDs to get and where to get them and how best to approach it...

Aug 24, 2019, 11:46 AM
Anyone want to test fit my Front gear brace for the A-4? will require you sending me pictures once installed.
first to PM me gets it.
Thanks,
Steve
Aug 24, 2019, 01:30 PM
Ok, have my tester already. Thanks to those who tried.

Quick Reply