Jul 21, 2017, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Scratch build of a 72" ugly stick powered with a dle20,

I have been building an flying r/c since 69, Building an flying u-control before that when I was 12.Planning on building this stick , using the plans for reference only. I am planning on building a 2 pc wing using "Goldberg"method of using 2 main spars,4 pc. aileron to use as flaps & ailerons (my baddie Andy will help me program my spectrum dx7 to accomplish this ,its what I did on my latest Large Kadet. Also adding a small amount to the rear of the fuse(3/4")It will be trike gear, large easy to remove hatch.Its the great planes 60 ugly stick plans I have enlarged.Questions an comments will be great.I have several other irons in the fire so the build will be slow, but Ill post pics as I go.

First thing I started on was using carbon paper to get the "plug" to bend the strips of balsa around. this makes a smooth an splice free fin an rudder.I get all my balsa from "Balsa USA" Good people to deal with.

Food for thought>>>>>>>>>>>"Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion"Gerry Smith<<<<<<<<
Last edited by Army Grunt; Oct 07, 2017 at 05:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2017, 04:45 PM
AMA16634...Just Me
Subscribed....be following along, don't say much, but so far, looks like a good start.....

Don
Jul 21, 2017, 04:57 PM
Glad to see this!

Andy
Jul 21, 2017, 07:36 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Aha!
I found it.
Did you ever get around to flying your Quaker?
Mine's still putting around fine.

If you don't mind, I wanted to show you what I just finished.
Started it the middle of march.
A reproduction of my '88 Stampe.
This page of the build thread has pics and a vid.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...it-build/page5

Will be watching your build with interest.
Nick
Jul 22, 2017, 05:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589 View Post
Aha!
I found it.
Did you ever get around to flying your Quaker?
Mine's still putting around fine.

If you don't mind, I wanted to show you what I just finished.
Started it the middle of march.
A reproduction of my '88 Stampe.
This page of the build thread has pics and a vid.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...it-build/page5

Will be watching your build with interest.
Nick
Good to see you are building. I like the looks of your bipe. the spin is really flat!looks good.Is that Stampe a kit?Whats the wing48"50 something?power?

Please add what you will to my build.
No my Quaker is still taking her place as a "Hanger Queen"
Ill get to fly it someday, just been busy doing lots of other stuff
Jul 22, 2017, 05:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Glad to see this!

Andy
Look at you MR. 42171
Glad your watching,I look forward to your input as always .
Jul 22, 2017, 04:58 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Gotta sub this one, I'm keen on a Stik myself. I like that method with the wrapped edge for the fin. I was thinking of the exact same thing, the GP 60 plans scaled up to this size for a YS FZ 91 - I'm debating that or sticking to the original span.
Jul 22, 2017, 05:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW View Post
Gotta sub this one, I'm keen on a Stik myself. I like that method with the wrapped edge for the fin. I was thinking of the exact same thing, the GP 60 plans scaled up to this size for a YS FZ 91 - I'm debating that or sticking to the original span.
Standard size the 91 will be great, If you enlarge it to 72" like i have done that will fly it , but not really good.The dle 20 puts out 2.5 hp an will turn a 15" prop.
Jul 22, 2017, 06:38 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Thanks for the generous allowing of off topic pics.

In answer to your question, it is a kit, no longer manufactured but they still pop up from time to time on the "for sale" forums
here's a pic of what the box looked like.

Also a pic of 12 year old Rocky (now 40) holding my Kraft models Ugly Stik.
The original Ugly Stik which was designed to be built in8 hours to test Kraft Radios.
This one was 69" with an OS Max .60 swinging an 11/7.
Notice there was no center section planking, it had a huge ply spar joiner instead.
Jul 23, 2017, 06:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589 View Post
Thanks for the generous allowing of off topic pics.

In answer to your question, it is a kit, no longer manufactured but they still pop up from time to time on the "for sale" forums
here's a pic of what the box looked like.

Also a pic of 12 year old Rocky (now 40) holding my Kraft models Ugly Stik.
The original Ugly Stik which was designed to be built in8 hours to test Kraft Radios.
This one was 69" with an OS Max .60 swinging an 11/7.
Notice there was no center section planking, it had a huge ply spar joiner instead.
>>>>>>>>Thanks for the generous allowing of off topic pics.<<<<<<<<No tks necessary you post whatever you want Nick. Builders are special people.
that stick looks great!!That stick was it kit built? If so who kitted it?What can you tell me about the center section?I am planning on Goldberg type spars. Andy suggested laying up some spar type, rather than a wing tube. Your thoughts?
Jul 23, 2017, 06:32 AM
EDITED, can't erase the post...sorry, thought I was in another thread! Apologies.
Jul 23, 2017, 06:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW View Post
EDITED, can't erase the post...sorry, thought I was in another thread! Apologies.
Not to worry "Down under"
Jul 23, 2017, 02:59 PM
Nice work!
Jul 23, 2017, 03:35 PM
Yes it really is. I see you're working from a section of the plans, not a whole plan on one large sheet. How are you doing that, is it ordinary printer pages stuck together? I like to work that way myself, just printing the section I'm working on. I live in a very small place and don't have anywhere nearly big enough for a full size print, so I'm getting some workshop envy looking at your photos

Quick Reply