Jul 21, 2017, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
Question

What is the best set of resources for a scale Heli newbie

I'm a long time RC guy who has built everything from scale boats to gliders to warplanes to cars. I've also played with a few heli's starting with the typical small coax stuff through some 200ish sized fixed pitch copters. I'm finishing up a 1/4 scale airplane build, but am starting to set my sights on a more serious heli in the future.

I have no interest in doing stunts or tricks with a heli. I'm a scale guy who likes scale things, and I want to learn more about scale helis. Besides this forum, what are other good resources for learning more about scale heli's, or just more about heli's in general. I've started consuming as much as possible, but this is a fairly niche end of the hobby so the information seems to be more scattered than normal. I've been coaming through the 'beginner' areas but really have no interest in learning about the latest coax e-flight heli.

Books, magazines, websites, forums?

Thanks all

Dion
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2017, 10:43 AM
If I didn't misunderstand you, you are still learning to fly helis, so the first order of business is to get a CP (collective pitch) heli and a simulator.
A good resource is John Salt's website rchelicopterfun.com
Jul 21, 2017, 03:32 PM
Vintage Heli Flyer.
Another good resource is www.scalerchelis.com, as the name suggests,it is for scale helis. There is a lot of good info and useful tips on there, plus very helpful people. (I'm on there too )

I agree with getsuyoubi above though, get a sim and a CP heli and get confident with those first. Scale Helis can be expensive so you don't want to be smashing those up !!

The net has a wealth of info on various full size helis. Once you have chosen your subject then you can start to look for the info on that particular helicopter.

There are loads of photographic walkarounds of various helis for when you really get into serious scale detailing. I use them quite a lot.

Mark
Jul 22, 2017, 08:40 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. You are correct, I am still learning to fly helis so I don't pretend to be an expert for sure. The desire to find more resources was in part also driven by the desire to learn which CP helis I could eventually turn into scale subjects, and which ones I can't. I'm also not sure on size, platform, etc. I.E., I'm trying to learn a lot.
Jul 22, 2017, 12:16 PM
For scale, you pretty much need to stick to the now somewhat outdated/traditional heli sizes - 450, 500, 600, 700. Or, listed by blade length (which makes a lot more sense), 325, 425, 600, or 700mm. Most helis with a traditional pod-and-boom configuration should work, but you should ask again before you buy one. Align helis do work in general as long you stick with those traditional sizes. Goblins, on the other hand, do NOT work for scale because their tail boom is more of a fuselage, not just a round boom. That could likely be changed with a lot of effort, but for your first scale build you don't want to go that far, I guess.
Jul 25, 2017, 09:11 AM
Thread OP
Thanks again folks. Learning a lot just by reading the suggested websites above.

Quick Reply