This thread is privately moderated by rclad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 20, 2017, 10:27 PM
My best days are screw ups.
Thread OP
Discussion

B-29 Superfortress Lands in Cincinnati

The Cincinnati Warbirds EAA Squadron 18 hosted the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) at Lunken Airport in Cincinnati, July 12-16. One of the planes that flew in for the static display and rides was "Fifi", a B-29 Superfortress built in the last weeks of WWII. (I captured this short video on my cell phone, so quality is not great.)

Tucked away in an upper room of the airport is a small museum. On display is a beautiful, very detailed, scale RC model of a Stinson Reliant. (I'll have to go back for a photo - sorry!) I asked the curator about the unusual tail hook on the bottom. He said the full scale version was used to pick up mail. The pilot had to fly about 25 feet off the ground and within a 12 foot wide zone to catch the cable, then a crewman reeled in the bag. They rarely missed.

B-29 Superfortress "Fifi" at Lunken Airport, Cincinnati, OH (0 min 41 sec)
Last edited by rclad; Jul 20, 2017 at 11:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply