Jul 20, 2017, 10:21 AM
DFS#000178
This is actually kind of surprising since Horizon also sells the only-slightly-smaller FMS PT-17 for significantly less.

It looks great, though! And I'm a sucker for rudder stripes.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2017, 10:33 AM
Canadian down south!
I like that the battery is placed in from the top instead of from underneath like the Parkzone SE5a and Albatros has. Much easier to deal with as you don't need a stand or someone to hold it while you try to get the battery connected and in place.

Hopefully their won't be COG or weight issues like the Unique Models PT-17 and everything is well balanced.

The shock absorbing landing gear is a nice touch as well.
Jul 20, 2017, 10:39 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscanuck1xa
The shock absorbing landing gear is a nice touch as well.
Yes, yes it is! Maybe we'll start to see them include oleo struts on their retracts in the near future, too!
Jul 20, 2017, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
Looks like the Horizon Hobbies/FMS/Force RC marriage is reaping some dividends....!

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out this is the 1100mm FMS PT-17 of old, slightly revamped into this fine looking Bipe

Definitely gettin' some popcorn on this one !!!
Nope John,

New from the ground up!

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Jul 20, 2017, 11:15 AM
Ron Lauser
Exactly what I've been waiting for.

Hey Santa, are you listening?
Jul 20, 2017, 11:22 AM
Recalcitrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly

... New from the ground up!

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
That is EXCELLENT news!
Jul 20, 2017, 11:54 AM
Looks really nice....hope the price is right
Jul 20, 2017, 12:21 PM
Recalcitrant
The plug-n-play version has been listed for $199.99

I'm in! A biplane addict's addiction has been fed yet again....
Jul 20, 2017, 12:24 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly
Nope John,

New from the ground up!

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Those guys are always wrong. Anytime one of them says anything, I always assume the opposite is true and I am generally right.

Will pre-order at lunch. Love all bipes.
Jul 20, 2017, 12:36 PM
Definitely a few "wow" moments in the video. Love the shock absorbing landing gear (already wondering about the possibility of retrofitting this to the Albatros). Love the flight video elements from a drone...nice shots looking at a down spiral, and the fly-by. Also digging the easy disassembly. I don't take my planes apart to travel, but a single plug under the main wing??!! If it works reliably, very impressive.

I'm in...price is good, love the paint scheme, just needs a little shading .
Jul 20, 2017, 01:03 PM
Happy fly begin
Wish this had the flying wire attachments the fms variant has but i do like the top load for the battery.
Big improvements. Can never have enough Stearmans!
Jul 20, 2017, 01:23 PM
Ooooohh, so handsome. Finally, the yellow version and done so nicely. Kudos, E-flite..!

Edit: Wow, just watched the video and boy, does it refresh how much I've enjoyed my FMS version. This new one stands to be one all time favorite biplane and with the more scale looking Continental dummy engine to boot.

I recon that this airplane ranks as the most overall satisfying rc model I've ever enjoyed having - so versatile and rugged with flying qualities that can surprise anyone with it's range.

Here's a look at a glow four-cycle powered one I campaigned in the '70s and '80s, with home-made shock struts on it also. Very worthwhile addition to this model, so smart of E-flite to introduce that.! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2S-3-from-1975
Last edited by gnats82; Jul 20, 2017 at 01:37 PM.
Jul 20, 2017, 02:17 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Sweet Stearman! Love the scale shock-absorbing struts on the mains, correct scale detail on the radial, rib & stringer detail on the wings & fuse, concealed elevator & rudder linkage, simulated trim-tab detail, pilot & cockpit detail - and the paint-scheme! Plus, it's a nice size for a bipe. Small enough to fit in the car fully-assembled - yet large enough to negotiate less-than-perfect sod strips & handle some wind at the club field. With a WL of only 11.5 oz/sq ft & a to-die-for WCL of just 5.4 - it will have no problem flying slow, and should be a real pussycat on approach, while doing low & slow figure-eights, etc. I'll definitely be adding one of these to my hangar!

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 20, 2017 at 02:56 PM.
Jul 20, 2017, 03:20 PM
That front cockpit is just screaming for some FPV equipment!
Jul 20, 2017, 03:30 PM
Have to say, this looks great! I think I may order this one. I've been trying to fly my PZ SE5a more recently (though it's in the repair shop now, as I noticed the last time I flew it that there was a crack on the lower left wing at the root). My only complaints about it are any wind will really toss it around, and it's a pain putting the battery in. I think with the AS3X, it shouldn't be as much a problem with the PT-17?

I really enjoyed the video too. It looks very capable, the overhead drone shot was awesome (is it from a unannounced HH camera quad??), and I like the color. Only thing I'd do right away is bolt a wood prop on.

Quick Reply