Jan 04, 2020, 02:00 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
The wood winglets that came with my kit are warped pretty good so I decided to use something else. Carbon Fiber would be the logical choice for strength but it has conductive properties and reflects RF. Probably wouldn't affect the reception in most attitudes but still. Decided to try some 2mm ABS plastic. Just need to break out the band-saw.

In truth the warped wood winglets would likely not create a discernible difference in the flight characteristics of the wing over flat, straight ones but my OCD won't let me install something on an aircraft that's warped when it should be flat. It's just wrong.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2020, 02:02 PM
PSALM 14:1
Are you guys using the wood winglets instead of the foam ones or in addition to?
Jan 04, 2020, 03:50 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Personally I think the foam will get ripped up too easily so it will be rigid outboard then I'll cut the foam ones to fit inboard like a Z-84. So two sets of stabilizers.
Jan 05, 2020, 10:54 AM
AR WING 900 - 2020-01-04 (24 min 58 sec)
Jan 10, 2020, 08:20 PM
Hello! My record. Sonicmodell AR Wing 900mm.

LoRa 868MHz 500mW & FPV 1200MHz 8CH 500mW. Test 30km. (5 min 0 sec)
Jan 13, 2020, 02:35 AM
FPV.kiev.ua
Did someone try to put vortex generators like on DartXL wings? Do they do their job?
Jan 17, 2020, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XionUAV
Funny you should mention that. Ralf and I have been going back and forth over email and I had just sent him a long one talking about all the different effects of blade type, blade shape and prop loading and unloading as it might relate to clean vs. turbulent air.

Without a wind tunnel and testing a bunch of different props there would really be no way to scientifically prove which setup actually produces the least prop noise. However, it's general aerodynamic engineering knowledge that moving a prop farther away from the fuselage allows the turbulent air caused by a flat trailing edge more time to stabilize before hitting the prop. The tapering is just to help smooth the air sooner.

Regardless how the test was done, the difference in dB levels does indicate a noticeable drop in prop noise. I knew there would at least a certain drop simply because the engineering is proven. This is not my first rear prop taper mod. So regardless how much the drop in noise level actually is, whatever it is is good enough for me personally on my aircraft.

The Trailing edge in general is quite thick (in comparison to Carbon wings, for F3F F3B etc...). Of course you can not make them like razor blade thin, beacause the foam would get really soft and "wabbly" and maybe rip off after higher speeds.

BUT: Did somebod try a thinner 3D-printed (or something else) trailing edge?
Would lower the drag a bit.
Jan 21, 2020, 03:49 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Speaking of winglets, these came with a Strix Alatus. Haven't seen this thin version of coroplast before. It's nice and stiff. Might work well for the AR Wing instead of the plastic I was going to try. Just have to find some.
Jan 27, 2020, 12:16 PM
Toycar racer
hi..kwad guy here, wing noobie...

I have an extra omnibus f4 FC. Is there a wiki or any posts as to how I go about implementing it with my wing?
Jan 27, 2020, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbz619

I have an extra omnibus f4 FC. Is there a wiki or any posts as to how I go about implementing it with my wing?
Google "F4 inav". There are lots of awesome tutorials out there.
Jan 27, 2020, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbz619

Matt was the one who I followed when I first got into iNav and used the OBF4 FC. iNav FW is newer, but the basic stuff is still the same.
Part #1 - Inexpensive Flight Control Using iNav - "An Introduction" for Fixed Wing Models (28 min 55 sec)

Any info on the newer versions I suggest Pawel, he is one of the iNav develpoers.
How to setup INAV on a flying wing - video tutorial (20 min 16 sec)
Jan 27, 2020, 01:54 PM
Toycar racer
Thanks guys! I'll dive in!
Feb 03, 2020, 11:11 PM
fools? at least i'm honest :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansiivan
Hello! My record. Sonicmodell AR Wing 900mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8CkSwtezm4&t=
can you describe what your power combo & your ar wing AUW on that flight? seems average 5amps are too high for me
--edit
please disregard my question
after i watch until the end and you make a "U" turn then oke i got it, you went out faced with the wind that the reason why the current are so high
---

tomorrow i will do 40km out not a distance makes me worried but my ar wing have to climb to 1.2k meters which i'm affraid that will pull too much energy

anyone have done for 80km or more with ar wing? which battery are you using it? and how much battery consuming?

my attemp i will use 4s2p (6900mAH) a little bit critical but i think she will make it, but that climb is worry me *fiuh*
Last edited by korakora; Feb 04, 2020 at 01:17 AM.
Feb 09, 2020, 10:40 AM
any news about the 80km attempt?
Feb 09, 2020, 11:08 AM
fools? at least i'm honest :)
i did today 56km 1st
i guess 80km are too much for my setup
no safety margin if i pushing it
as my prediction doing climbing above 1000meters pull energy too much

land with 14.35v battery left (unload)

Quick Reply