Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 20, 2017, 12:24 AM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

[SOLVED] How to fix stripped Turnigy 9x case screws!!!

I've been upgrading my 9x a lot recently, and that means opening and closing the case repeatedly, which also leads to the case screws stripping out the cheap plastic ferrules.

I was trying desperately to find a threaded sleeve or insert, well nut, or figure out how to glue a nut on top, etc.

And then it occurred to me....we could use the same standoff nuts used to hold desktop motherboards off the case or on I/O ports to secure the cables. (Thanks DavidMC36 for reminding me of the proper name)

I gathered 6 standoff nuts of the same size and shape. I cut and used painters tape to mark the ferrules in the 9x so I would know where to cut them. Use a dremel cutoff wheel and clean it up with a knife. I also sanded down the inside of the case on the bottom 2 ferrules so the studded nut would clear the case and thread in properly.

It would be better to have or borrow a 4-40 tap to thread the ferruls, but I don't have access to one. I used an 1/8" drill bit to clean out the ferrules, threaded the standoff nut 1/2 way in, thread it out (remove it), clean out the ferrule again, and then thread the standoff nut all the way in. If I had some appropriately sized CF tubing laying around (6mm or 1/4" ID), I might also sleeve the ferrules and glue the sleeve in place just for peace of mind.

Use 5/8" 4-40 pan head screws to put the case back together. I used 1/2" because that's what I bought but will replace them with 5/8" when I get around to it, as the 1/2" screws only catch 2-3 threads.

That's it! Now I can reliably open and close my radio without worrying about stripped screws. Also, it now has a smooth precision and snug stop feeling to it.

I hope this helps someone else, too!
Last edited by interestingfello; Jul 20, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2017, 05:00 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestingfello
..I don't know the proper name, please tell me what it is if you do..
Excellent job.

I would call them 'Stand-Offs'

Motherboard Studs brings up the right pictures.
Jul 20, 2017, 06:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
Excellent job.

I would call them 'Stand-Offs'

Motherboard Studs brings up the right pictures.
I owe you either a cookie or beer!
It was late, and my brain was not working well.
Jul 19, 2018, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestingfello
I've been upgrading my 9x a lot recently, and that means opening and closing the case repeatedly, which also leads to the case screws stripping out the cheap plastic ferrules.

I was trying desperately to find a threaded sleeve or insert, well nut, or figure out how to glue a nut on top, etc.

And then it occurred to me....we could use the same standoff nuts used to hold desktop motherboards off the case or on I/O ports to secure the cables. (Thanks DavidMC36 for reminding me of the proper name)

I gathered 6 standoff nuts of the same size and shape. I cut and used painters tape to mark the ferrules in the 9x so I would know where to cut them. Use a dremel cutoff wheel and clean it up with a knife. I also sanded down the inside of the case on the bottom 2 ferrules so the studded nut would clear the case and thread in properly.

It would be better to have or borrow a 4-40 tap to thread the ferruls, but I don't have access to one. I used an 1/8" drill bit to clean out the ferrules, threaded the standoff nut 1/2 way in, thread it out (remove it), clean out the ferrule again, and then thread the standoff nut all the way in. If I had some appropriately sized CF tubing laying around (6mm or 1/4" ID), I might also sleeve the ferrules and glue the sleeve in place just for peace of mind.

Use 5/8" 4-40 pan head screws to put the case back together. I used 1/2" because that's what I bought but will replace them with 5/8" when I get around to it, as the 1/2" screws only catch 2-3 threads.

That's it! Now I can reliably open and close my radio without worrying about stripped screws. Also, it now has a smooth precision and snug stop feeling to it.

I hope this helps someone else, too!
This is the best fix I have ever seen. Thank you very much!
Jul 19, 2018, 02:59 AM
Better to not strip them out in the first place.
Screwing into plastic, insert screw and turn it backwards with moderate pressure until you feel the start of the previously cut thread "click".
Then screw forwards.
Otherwise the screw will cut a new thread, and after a few new threads the hole is stripped.
Jul 19, 2018, 11:15 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexm
Better to not strip them out in the first place.
Screwing into plastic, insert screw and turn it backwards with moderate pressure until you feel the start of the previously cut thread "click".
Then screw forwards.
Otherwise the screw will cut a new thread, and after a few new threads the hole is stripped.

You beat me to it. I used to have issues with stripped thread on my RC cars, until I learned this trick.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 19, 2018, 11:41 AM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
I’ve always used that backwards click trick on my 9x, but still managed to strip the ferrules. The problem is with the threads on the OEM case screws. They are too fine.

The simplest fix was to put in a larger screw with coarser threads. I’ve found that the screws used on the Taranis case works really well without modding the stripped ferrules. Just screw them right in.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Scre...829804669.html

Quick Reply