This thread is privately moderated by FR4-Pilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 19, 2017, 10:31 PM
Hey EPA - Ban Glyphosate NOW !
Thread OP
Discussion

An Overdue Goodbye to Gary Ohlin

I was saddened and shocked when I discovered a really nice guy from my flying field passed away. I was clicking around on the internet looking for Illinois RC flying field information when I stumbled across his obituary.

It suddenly became painfully clear why I haven't seen him at the field in a very long time.

If you flew at Fullerton RC Helicopter Field more than once chances are you met Gary. I first met him in August of 2010 when I started visiting the field. He was a great person to talk to, always had helpful suggestions and fantastic stories to tell. NIRCHA, Al's Hobby Shop, Fun-Flys, Al Gore, etc. Through conversation I got a glimpse of the activities that used to take place there years ago. Once again I was late to the game.

He had a bright orange and yellow Mini-Titan e325SE, a Futaba 8 channel radio, and a Sears Craftsman tool/flight box. He inspired me to build my first kit heli, a Mini-Titan. I liked his tool/flight box so I ended up with a gray one - just like his red and black one.

Gary had a HUGE impact on my journey with RC Helicopters. He was there the day I saw my first 600 size scale helicopter in 2012. Soon after I would begin my own semi-scale 550 build, but unfortunately I didn't finish it until this year. I really wanted to show it to Gary, and had been looking for him, on weekends, at the field, for a few years now. In addition I had to intervene as Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I had no idea he passed away. We never exchanged phone numbers as we'd always manage to meet up at the field at least a couple times a month during the summer. He's the reason I'd spend 4+ hours at the field - flying for one and chatting for three.

For me, Fullerton RC Helicopter field will never be the same without him. Luckily, I took (and continue to take) lots of video when I fly. I'm glad I was able to find a few frames to share.

Goodbye my friend, rest in peace. Thank you so much for taking time to inspire and help a newbie. You will always be fondly remembered and dearly missed.

-John
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Apr 11, 2019 at 08:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply