3 View To 3D Model To Internal Structure - RC Groups
Jul 18, 2017, 09:25 PM
Fly Low
Discussion

3 View To 3D Model To Internal Structure

I want to get into some designing and have a good amount of CAD experience (autocad inventor/catia). Unfortunately none of it is anything aircraft related.

So my main question is where is the best information on how I can take a 3 view and turn it into a 3D model and then what is the process of creating an internal structure. I have done some experimenting, and had limited results.

Any ideas on where to start. I have some ideas but was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions to steer me in the right direction!

I hope to compile this information and make a guide for others who may be in the same boat as me.
Latest blog entry: 3D Tutorial Streams: Poptops
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2017, 05:05 AM
For Wings and Fuselages you can see devWing and devFus: http://www.devcad.com/eng/products_table.asp
They produces a cosmetic 3D and the DXF files of the single parts ready to cut.
Jul 19, 2017, 07:21 PM
Fly Low
Thanks for the info!
Latest blog entry: 3D Tutorial Streams: Poptops
Jul 27, 2017, 05:04 PM
Sink stinks
The basic process in 3D CAD programs (I don't know about the dev* programs, because I haven't used them):

1. Trace outlines in the different coordinate planes. When tracing, it is important to preserve symmetry. For shapes that are supposed to be symmetric, it is best to trace only half of the outline and then mirror it to the other side.

2. Trace any additional sections, formers, or other important details provided in the 3-view and place them in the proper location in space.

3. Create 3D solids or surfaces by applying operations like extruding, lofting, and sweeping to the traced shapes. It may be necessary here to use your best judgment to add supplemental shapes or other information that was not included in the 3-view (that is the real tricky part).

4. Use section cuts, intersections, boolean operations, etc. on the 3D solids and surfaces to create the internal structure.

That is a very simplified overview of the process. Of course, many of the steps require a lot of experience and/or trial and error to get them right.
Sep 04, 2017, 07:12 AM
Check lout this and other threads by Roscoedude. Great step by step with pictures and workflows.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...party-begin%21

Also search for build threads by Longhorne