Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Oct 29, 2004, 10:49 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Ken Spencer's Avatar

Next "Free" P-51d War Bird Micro


If anyone is interested in the P-51d or its construction feel free to ask. I will be placing the downloads sheets onto the GymDandy Flyers web site sometime soon in November. Wing span 16 1/2", Motor M-20LV, 4.2:1 gearing.
Keep Them Flying ! Ken
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2004, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Dan Leonard's Avatar
You amaze me every time. Keep up the good work.
Thanks
Dan
Oct 29, 2004, 03:34 PM
Registered User
bselman's Avatar
Dan,

Are you going to be down at Miami Oklahoma for the indoor tomorrow? Should be a great time.

Bob
Oct 29, 2004, 04:21 PM
Registered User
robbie's Avatar
cool plane. can i ask a construction question?
how are the wings typically attached and stabilized to a small profile like that?
Oct 29, 2004, 06:14 PM
Registered User
That is very nice! I really like the wings, the print shows the 'original' wing, which cloaks a bit the real wing.

Good job,
Johan
Oct 29, 2004, 11:58 PM
Registered User
willin's Avatar
Thia seems pretty easy from what I can see... but what about the wing? is it formed or shaped foam? Please more details on the wing!

It almost looks like it is folded along the leading edge to form an ailfoil... not sure...
Oct 30, 2004, 09:32 AM
Registered User
Dan Leonard's Avatar
It is a Bob Selman cut foam wing. He sells them on his website.
Nov 01, 2004, 08:49 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Ken Spencer's Avatar

Answer for Robbie


I apologize to ROBBIE, NANOFLITE, and WILLIN for not getting back to you sooner with answers your questions. The last four days have really hectic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
how are the wings typically attached and stabilized to a small profile like that?
I attach the foam wing to the fuselage with five minute epoxy. I can't remember, any of these wing joins ever failing.

I use medium CA to attach the elevator and vertical stab. Like the wing area, I remove some of the paper laminate to allow balsa to balsa contact for gluing.

Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Nov 01, 2004, 08:55 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Ken Spencer's Avatar

Answer for NANOFLITE, Johan


Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoflite
I really like the wings, the print shows the 'original' wing, which cloaks a bit the real wing.
Yes, I figure why give up the extra wing area and lower wing loading, if you don't have too.
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Nov 01, 2004, 09:04 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Ken Spencer's Avatar

Answer for WILLIN


Quote:
Originally Posted by willin
but what about the wing? is it formed or shaped foam? Please more details on the wing!
Yes, It's about as easy as it can get. The wings are hot wired from a block of blue foam. As Dan stated above, they can be obtained from www.bsdmicrorc.com
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Nov 01, 2004, 09:14 AM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
SPEED-E-FLYER's Avatar
LOOKS GREAT
Hope to see you and your planes in Springfield on the 27th

Larry

When are you going to try to make a P-38 (hee hee hee)
Nov 01, 2004, 09:17 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Ken Spencer's Avatar

Reply for Dan Leonard


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Leonard
It is a Bob Selman cut foam wing. He sells them on his website.
Thank you, for helping ansrer WILLIN's question.
Looking foward to seeing you at Springfield Indoor Fly, November 27th.
Keep Them Flying ! Your good friend, Ken

P.S. To everyone, P-51d also now in Silver.
Nov 02, 2004, 10:34 AM
DPN
DPN
Registered User
DPN's Avatar
Ken,

First I have to say "Wow"! These profile planes are awesome.

Do you print the designs on regular paper, or do you use something lighter? I printed the Hellcat on regular paper, but it seems a bit heavy to me...Should I use tissue?

I built a little prototype of a P51 profile I had on hand, just to get a feel for the techniques involved. I attached a picture. It's an N20 direct drive, with a 90 mAh lipoly. May convert it to a Bit Charger type control...

I'm excited about these planes!

Thanks for the selection, and I'll be looking for the P51 on the Gymdandy website.


David
Nov 02, 2004, 11:31 AM
These go to eleven...
dstout's Avatar
Those look like excellent choices for RTP as well. May have to give that a shot.
Nov 02, 2004, 12:39 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Tim Wolff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPN
Ken,

First I have to say "Wow"! These profile planes are awesome.

Do you print the designs on regular paper, or do you use something lighter? I printed the Hellcat on regular paper, but it seems a bit heavy to me...Should I use tissue?

I built a little prototype of a P51 profile I had on hand, just to get a feel for the techniques involved. I attached a picture. It's an N20 direct drive, with a 90 mAh lipoly. May convert it to a Bit Charger type control...

I'm excited about these planes!

Thanks for the selection, and I'll be looking for the P51 on the Gymdandy website.


David
Do you know what that N20 is drawing? I did not know a 90 maH cell could be drawn hard enough to run an N20 or even an M20 for that matter?????


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for my 1st war bird. P-51??? Stile2112 Parkflyers 1 Apr 17, 2005 11:39 PM
Cool free flight mini war bird wants to go rc mosfet5n Fuel Warbirds 2 Jun 27, 2004 08:24 PM
Rave Before n After My new war bird P-51 Mustang(EPP) powder Slope 22 Aug 22, 2003 01:27 PM
FS - GWS P-51D Kit, 3 sub-micro servos, and JETI 110 ESC-- ALL NIB! Etonic Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jan 15, 2003 05:37 PM
p-51d s-400---free plans? i-fly Scale Kit/Scratch Built 2 Nov 27, 2001 08:37 AM