Bumpcharger build - RC Groups
Jul 18, 2017, 09:32 AM
Discussion

Bumpcharger build

Part two of the bumpcharger build article in Model Aviation just came out in the August issue. The first part was in the June issue. Here's a link where the AMA combined the two articles online. The extra photos for the build ended up being posted on the AMA flikr site or some such thing, but links are in the articles. Kind of a weird way they came out in no particular order and all the captions disappeared. I could have saved time by not writing them if I had known it was just going to be a bunch of photos, but oh well.

http://www.modelaviation.com/charger-setups

This build turned out better than I could have hoped and the guys at Bumpcharger.com really did a stellar job with tech support. In fact it came out so well....I'll be doing another one, but this time one of the smaller setups. Probably with one PL6 and two boards, but have some storage room for the smaller packs in the box.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2017, 10:11 AM
Unregistered User
Hello Greg,

It was interesting that you modified the PL8 cases. I was tempted to do the same because of the awkward shape.

In the end I didn't, though I even considered making new cases out of acrylic so they would fit better.

When you cut those feet off, how did the screws hold the case on?

Since these protrusions are hollow, by cutting them, didn't you end up with just the tube of plastic where the screw goes in, separate from the rest of the case?

Did you put a piece of ABS plastic sheeting in place where the feet used to be?

You have emboldened me to do the mod and rebuild the charger without working around the feet problem.

Great build by the way. Looks like it has everything that opens and shuts.
Jul 19, 2017, 12:50 PM
Hi Vimy,

I'm confused....there aren't any screws in the feet of the PL8 so cutting a bit off the bottom doesnt affect a thing.

It is hollow when you trim the bottom of the feet, but I just left it open and set them into the recessed in the baseplate from Bumpcharger.com

I was nervous about cutting the feet, but it was easy with a zona saw and that was it. The build really went well and I was glad to see getting components from Bumpcharger was as cheap as getting them elsewhere. The real upside is they already knew they would fit. I trimmed quite a bit off the legs of the master switch because they were long enough to touch the back corners of the charger. Not a biggie since the cases are plastic, but it makes it easier to add wiring later.
Jul 19, 2017, 09:42 PM
Unregistered User
I haven't seen the underneath of the PL8's for a while (they're mounted) I thought the screws went into the feet. That's good, no problem with cutting the feet off then. The only thing to remember, if you are going to use the PL8 on a table, to put something under it for airflow. I'm going to be redoing the entire charger layout so it can be made expandable.

I also have the excellent Zona saw with replaceable blades, so that will make the job easy.
Jul 19, 2017, 10:09 PM
With the top deck I chose, I have a regular wind storm going thru the box. The two fans on the deck really move a lot of air around the chargers and power supplies. Even with my shop temps holding at 85 F, I haven't had any heat related issues even when charging ten packs at once. I've done as many as 12 packs, but they were only 3S packs. I've done four 6S packs on one charger and six 5S packs on the other and all were 5000 mah packs.
Jul 20, 2017, 02:39 PM
Unregistered User
Hi Greg,

So the fans are in a push-pull arrangement?

Forcing air from one end of the case to the other?
Jul 21, 2017, 11:21 AM
Both fans bring air into the case and it exhausts out the back of the top where it says "Bumpcharger" There is a lot of air coming out.