Cheerson CX-23 Brushless 5.8G FPV With 1080P Camera OSD GPS RC Quadcopter RTF - Page 5 - RC Groups
Aug 13, 2017, 02:57 PM

Motor locked up,need allen key size of motor bell??

Motor locked up,need allen key size and where to get one??
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2017, 06:13 PM
GOT WINGS
drc35ca, you don't need an allen wrench to take the motor apart. On the bottom of the motor there should be a C-clip on the motor shaft. Carefully take off that clip and then you can pull the motor bell and the shaft away from the windings. Be careful, it is easy to lose that clip, and there may be washers also. There will also be bearings. And the magnets in the motor will make it hard to pull off, but as long as you have the clip off and there are no washers still on the shaft on the bottom, you can pull it apart. Sounds like there could be a piece of gravel or grit inside the motor, hope a magnet hasn't come loose. The allen screw only holds the shaft to the bell housing.
Aug 15, 2017, 09:43 AM

Cheerson CX-23 Drone Long Distance Desert Flight Test Review

This little brushless GPS quadcopter can fly pretty far with FPV. This is my entry to the Cheerson CX-23 flight competition.

and here is its flight demonstration
Cheerson CX-23 Drone Long Distance Desert Flight Test Review (16 min 15 sec)

More info on this contest is available here
Cheerson CX-23 aerial video competition announcement August 14-29 (3 min 41 sec)
Aug 15, 2017, 10:52 AM
FPV reception was great when you flew out first, but deteriorated the moment you turned the quad, which kinda suggests something might have blocked the signal (battery?). So FPV will probably benefit from a relocation of the aerial imo. Nevertheless, that was quite good for such a small quad Bit puzzling tho what exactly that 'home arrow' is pointing at?
Aug 18, 2017, 03:25 AM
Upon opening the Circlip was gone and guess where it ended up?Not sure how it got in becaues the backside of the motor is sealed when installed? Somehow got between the magnets,pinched it and reattached to the shaft and hopefully it stays put?. I did noticed that some motors have much more magnetism than others? wonder if this affects performance and flight times??
Aug 18, 2017, 04:35 AM
GOT WINGS
drc35ca, so I guess the clip was what caused your motor to lock up? I suppose that cold have happened when they were putting the motor together, they didn't actually install the clip right to begin with and the magnets kept it from disappearing? Sounds like you got it fixed though. Not sure how you can tell that there is more magnetism?
Aug 18, 2017, 12:22 PM
I cant tell if the clip was on or off from the factory as i flew twice and it locked up on the 3 rd flight?? the bell is upside down and it will fly without the clip!! I feel some motors when turned by hand manually have a stronger magnetic pull from pole to pole,not sure if the makes a difference or the tolerances are poor from motor to motor??
Aug 18, 2017, 03:42 PM
Where to buy this model cheapest?
Is there any coupon for gearbest, banggood?
Aug 18, 2017, 06:17 PM
GOT WINGS
Banggood has a 20% coupon on the product page that makes the quad $208 US with free shipping: https://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX...089.html?rmmds .
This quad is the smallest GPS quad I have but has the most telemetry of all of them. It probably will not carry a gopro camera like my other GPS quads, but does at least as well as all the others in other areas. You can also adjust input/outputs using the transmitter. It is the smallest GPS quad I have. I have Cheerson CX-20, Eachine Pioneer E350, and MJX B2W, all good GPS equipped quads. The CX-23 is as good or better than any of them, in a smaller size.
Aug 18, 2017, 06:30 PM
GOT WINGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc35ca
I cant tell if the clip was on or off from the factory as i flew twice and it locked up on the 3 rd flight?? the bell is upside down and it will fly without the clip!! I feel some motors when turned by hand manually have a stronger magnetic pull from pole to pole,not sure if the makes a difference or the tolerances are poor from motor to motor??
The magnetic pull makes it hard to pull off the bell and may keep it on while flying, but could also cause problems in the long run. It might be better to try to put something in the goove at the bottom of the shaft to hold it in place, the c-clip if possible. The clip could have been inside from the factory and just moved to lock up the motor later. There are bearings inside that could cause the feeling of some motors being harder to turn, but as cheaply as these motors are made, magnetic pull could be different from motor to motor. I had a motor like that on my Bugs 6 and took it apart thinking there might be something inside causing it to turn harder, but didn't find anything, blew it out with air, dry lubed the bearings, and put it back together, still flying it that way. There are already motors this size available, and stock spares will probably be available soon, so I would just keep the motors clean and fly it.
Aug 18, 2017, 10:18 PM
GOT WINGS
I think you can see in this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=42 that I have the FPV antenna facing straight down at the rear of the quad. The RX antenna points down too and is routed into one of the landing gear.

I realized I had not done any type of range test and the wind was almost completely calm, so I put the batteries on the chargers to go out and test the range. But by the time I got outside, the sun had gone down, maybe 10 to 15 minutes before I got out there, starting to get fairly dark. But I went for it anyway. I figured there is always return home.

Using the monitor to check my heading and see the horizon I flew almost due south to 300 meters(984 feet). The camera gave me a surprisingly good picture in spite of the low light, in fact, the view in the southern direction was actually better and lighter than what I could see with my eyes. When I turned back north, the view was not that good, probably because of the light still coming over the horizon to the north west, but when I gave it more forward pitch and the camera pointed down more, the view got better. Of course, long before I got out to 300 meters I could not see or hear the quad, so it was a little scary doing that in near dark conditions. I turned the quad around slowly while watching the monitor and did not lose signal, though it did get a little static at times. I was probably at around 20 meters high but I forgot to check that. Then I aimed the compass back towards me and flew it back, never losing the picture on the monitor screen though it did get very dark depending on the quads pitch angle.

I still had enough battery, so I decided to do an altitude test. I had it about 20 to 30 meters away from me, and when I got up to about 75 meters I started to lose FPV signal. But if I tilted the monitor antenna up higher the signal and picture would come back. By the time I got it up to about 120 meters(472 feet), I had to hold the transmitter and monitor above my head to get a signal.

I may not have the antennas in the optimal positions, but except for another range test, I will probably never fly it out farther or higher anyway, so it does have fairly decent range.
Aug 19, 2017, 12:11 PM
GOT WINGS
The wind was low this morning so I took the CX-23 for another range test. I intended to take it out to 500 meters if possible. When I got out to about 425 meters(1394 feet) it did something strange. It turned and started flying off to the northeast. I had been going almost due south. That took it out over heavy foliage, so it alarmed me a bit. In my attempt to regain control, I did not think to look at the signal meter. I had been at about 20 meters altitude and it went up to about 30 meters, so it may have been trying to return home due to low signal strength. I never lost FPV signal at all, so I was able to turn it to the right direction just by looking at the monitor and fly it back home. I still had plenty of battery left so I flew it back out to 350 meters before flying back and landing. About a 10 minute flight. Good range for a quad this size and good FPV all the way. But I don't think I will try any more range tests, 350 to 400 meters is plenty for me.
Aug 19, 2017, 01:02 PM
Does loss of coverage start automatically RTH?
Aug 19, 2017, 01:47 PM
GOT WINGS
The description says this: "out-of-control return which prevents disappearing" . I think that means if it loses contact with the transmitter it will trigger return to home.
Sep 06, 2017, 03:02 PM
Today I received Cx-23.
Sorry I did not have an SD card.
I bought in geekbuying for $ 189.99 + 4 propellers free.
I also ordered two extra batteries, but have not yet arrived.
It loads batteries, transmitter, monitor and tomorrow morning the first flights, because my night (Poland)

I have a question :
1.I have to calibrate the compass for every flight?