Cheerson CX-23 Brushless 5.8G FPV With 1080P Camera OSD GPS RC Quadcopter RTF - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 27, 2017, 10:42 AM
GOT WINGS
The price was raised on the CX-23 at Banggood, but now there is a 20% off coupon on the product page that will make the quad $207.99 US shipped.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2017, 11:28 AM
GOT WINGS
I had a battery that was fully charged, so even though it is a little windy, I took the CX-23 out for a flight and decided to do a little altitude test.
In GPS mode, I started going straight up and luckily there were some white clouds above that made it easier to see the quad when it got up there high. At about 85 meters or 280 feet, the quad would no longer gain altitude. It still responded to controls, but it would not go any higher. Did not think at the time to try Altitude hold to see if it would go higher, that might be better tried when there is less wind.
So altitude in GPS mode seems to be limited to about 85 meters or 280 feet.
Jul 27, 2017, 02:00 PM

Yaw Issues

Are you experiencing any issues with Yaw in Alt Mode?

When I try to rotate at all, small or large movements, the drone drifts out of control and descends.

Then if/when I recover, it ascends on its own as well.

It will not simply rotate in place when you have it level and try to yaw it immediately begins to pitch down and usually to the direction you were rotating, then it is very hard to correct and regain control to level it out.

Anyone else having this issue?

**I calibrated compass and accelerometer prior to test flight**
Jul 27, 2017, 04:10 PM
GOT WINGS
I have not noticed that problem with mine. Next time I fly it I will see if it does that. I have noticed when in altitude mode if I fly into the wind it loses height.
Jul 27, 2017, 10:16 PM
GOT WINGS
I wanted to go out and test how high it would go in altitude mode, but felt it was still a little too windy, so I did some other tests.

First I flew it out into the wind to 302 meters. At that distance it was just a little speck that I could barely see and lost sight of several times when I looked down at the monitor. But it still had a monitor view that was fairly clear except for horizontal white lines moving across it. Still good enough to see where I was headed. Later when it was only about 50 feet up and maybe 400 feet out facing to my right the picture got bad enough that I pushed the return to land button. I think position of the antennas makes a lot of difference. 302 meters is about 990 feet.

I take off from a 21 inch diameter round table and usually set the quad near the center to take off. I let the return to land function bring it all the way back and it actually landed on that on that table with one foot hanging off the edge, within 9 inches of where it took off from.

Another thing, I looked at the speed when flying fast forward in GPS mode, it got up to about 10 meters per second. Then in altitude hold mode, it got up to about 12 mps going against the wind and was a little over 14mps going with the wind when I had to slow down.

Low voltage warning started at 14 minutes 35 seconds. I let the quad hover in GPS mode until it landed itself at 15 minutes 30 seconds. The battery at rest had 3.55 volts per cell. Very good flight time.
Jul 28, 2017, 10:56 AM
GOT WINGS
buckshot, you posted: "It will not simply rotate in place when you have it level and try to yaw it immediately begins to pitch down and usually to the direction you were rotating, then it is very hard to correct and regain control to level it out. "
So on the flight I just did, I tested mine to be sure. Mine will rotate in place at full yaw with no up or down movement as long as there is no wind. And even with a little wind, it will just drift horizontally. It is easy to accidentally increase or decrease throttle when just trying to yaw, but I am not saying that is what you are doing. Yours may have a bit of a problem, and I am not sure what would cause that.

I went out and did a max altitude test in altitude mode. I think I might have seen it get up to 88 meters but then it would lower itself back down to 85 meters or below. So with mine at least, it is limited to 85 meters in altitude no matter what mode.

The product page description claims 100 meters maximum altitude.
Jul 28, 2017, 12:55 PM
You're really putting it through its paces

Does seem like a nifty little quad
Jul 29, 2017, 06:20 PM
GOT WINGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksmile
Hey Guys and CX-23 Fans. I have got a little question. As iīm living in germany which has got new drone regulations ans on of them is that FPV flying with a drone lighter than 250g and under 30 meters in height is allowed without a secound person to fly i enjoyed finding this nice little drone and ordered it on BG now. But what concerns me now ist that on the pictures iīve seen it looks like the battery charger has this US Pins. So i think itīs not good to plug it in a EU powergrid, as we use 220V/50hz instead of US 110V/60hz. So i would have to get a workaround for that problem.
What is the output of the AC/DC adapter? Or is it suitable for EU? Would be nice to get some information about this. THX
I asked a European that I know has a CX-23 and he said he used an adapter but he already had one.
Jul 31, 2017, 01:10 PM
GOT WINGS
I had been looking for alternative props and couldn't find any that really impressed me. Then I remembered that I have several pairs of GF 5030 props I had not found a use for. Of course 5 inch props will not fit. So I decided to cut them down to 4.5 inch. That wouldn't touch the body, but I didn't allow for the arms on the back of the quad. The tips of the 4.5 inch props would hit the arms and the quad would not fly right. So I had cut and balanced those 4.5 inch props and wanted to try them. So instead of going through the whole process to cut them down to 4 inch, I used some plastic spacers to lower them. It worked. I pretty much put the quad through all of it's different functions and everything seemed ok. I saw the speed get up to about 14 m/s in altitude mode going against a bit of wind.
The biggest change was the flight time. Low voltage warning started at about 17 minutes and the quad self landed at about 18 minutes. That is 3 minutes more flight time than I got yesterday with stock props.
Name: zcx23gfprp.jpg
Views: 13
Size: 82.0 KB
Description: Name: zcx23gfprp2.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 69.2 KB
Description: Name: zcx23gfprp3.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 50.5 KB
Description:

I may go ahead and cut them down to 4 inches anyway.
Jul 31, 2017, 05:46 PM
GOT WINGS
Since I actually damaged those 4.5 inch props a little when they were hitting the underside of the rear arms, and another project I was doing got too frustrating, I took another set of GF 5030s and cut them down to 4 inches.
Still got good performance with them, they didn't touch the arms, and the flight timed at 16 minutes and 20 seconds. Still almost 1.5 minutes longer than stock props.
Aug 02, 2017, 12:26 PM
GOT WINGS
Still having fun experimenting with this quad. Easier to carry and take along than one of my 350 GPS quads.
I wanted to try some props a little bigger than 4 inch and smaller than 4.5 inch.
I had so JJPro 5030s that I don't like on what I bought them for, so I trimmed them down to about 4.3 inches and balanced them. Then I used about a 1.5mm nylon washer as a spacer to keep them a little farther off the bottom of the rear arms. They seemed to work well. I got the speed up to 14.5 meters/second(32 mph) and it was still slowly increasing in almost no wind. The low voltage warning came on at 16.5 minutes and the quad self landed at 17.5 minutes. Battery at about 3.5 volts per cell.

Name: zcx23jjproprop.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 51.2 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Aug 02, 2017 at 12:58 PM.
Aug 03, 2017, 03:38 PM
GOT WINGS
This may be my last experiment with this quad for a while. I decided to try it without the landing gear on it, and I also drilled holes in the battery case to vent the battery because it gets fairly warm and takes a while to cool. That lowered the weight by about 8.5 grams. Flight timed at 18 minutes 10 seconds. Haven't been able to find another battery that will be an easy fit.
Name: zcx23batvent.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 51.0 KB
Description:

The monitor could be hard to see outside, especially in bright sunlight. So I took a monitor shroud I had from another monitor I don't use, cut some slots in the sides, and fit it on the monitor just like originally intended. While I had the monitor apart I cut a notch for the antenna wire and mounted the antenna outside the monitor at a better angle. Took it outside and tried both and they seemed to help a lot.
Name: zcx23mntrant.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 41.1 KB
Description: Name: zcx23mntrcvr.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 47.4 KB
Description:
Aug 05, 2017, 06:49 AM
So my CX23 came today.
So sad, i have to get a US to EU adapter somehow. Itīs not included.
But e-bay can help :-)

Dammned, the battery seems to be broken. It shows no power indication and i canīt turn it on. As the manual says to c harge it you have to turn in on
first. Iīm a modeler, so i will find a way ;-)
Aug 05, 2017, 07:10 AM
GOT WINGS
To turn on the battery you have to push in the button and hold it down for a few seconds. If you have to take apart the battery it is not difficult, just 4 screws and then it snaps apart.

In US, I think some hardware stores carry those adapters. Good luck.
Aug 05, 2017, 06:17 PM
My battery is deffinitely DEAD. I disassembled the battery and measured the volts of each cell. 1st cell 0.3V 2nd cell 0.4 V, and i know how to handle a multimeter :-( The Lipos also seem to be a little swollen. Thats not a good start with the new drone :-(