This thread is privately moderated by Blaze0021, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 17, 2017, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
Video

Eflite FJ-2 Fury 15 DF BNF Basic - Performance Flight

This is the Performance Flight of my new Eflite FJ-2 Fury BNF Basic.

Eflite FJ-2 Fury 15 DF BNF Basic - Performance Flight (4 min 28 sec)

As some of you may have witnessed the wonderful AstroTurf “airfield” that me and some of my other pilot buddies fly on, it is with some RC aircraft limitations – especially when it comes to DF (ducted fan) style aircraft. The small rubber turf chips of the Astroturf are most likely to get sucked into the intake on any DF aircraft designed with a cheater intake duct or a DF aircraft with a nose wheel “rooster-tailing” the rubber chips right in front of the intake duct on take-offs, damaging the EDF fan blades over time, or worse.. causing a DF lockup / shutdown 6 feet above the ground on take-off and right into the chain link fence perimeter of the airfield – ask me how I know (RIP Freewing F-16 4S Standard). Unfortunately most DF aircraft are designed with the intake just asking for Astroturf rubber chips to be sucked right in like a hungry Dyson vacuum cleaner. It really sucks (pun intended). Now here I am, left with (4) Roaring Top 4S 3700mAh 70C Lipos, and no RC aircraft to use them in.

After some research, I found the now discontinued Eflite FJ-2 Fury. With the intake design ahead of the front landing gear and no cheater intake duct, it was the ideal DF aircraft design for no rubber chips to get sucked in and cause damage to the DF fan blades / internals. The recommended lipo battery for this plane is also a 4S 3200mAh 30C, therefore allowing me to use my (4) Roaring Top 4S 3700mAh 70C Lipos perfectly. I had to drive a good distance to find, inspect, and purchase one still BNIB and sitting at a hobby shop several cities away, but it was worth the time and travel.

After reading the RCGroups.com Eflite FJ-2 Fury Thread, I came across the ESC Cooling Mod that was posted by Rocketsled666 and completed the simple ESC cooling modification (Link to the ESC Cooling Mod below) during the assembly process. I used flexible canopy glue to secure the ESC and create a “sealed face” for the heatsink within the intake tube. Now the stock 60-amp ESC is getting plenty of airflow on its heatsink face, keeping the ESC nice and cool during flights. Credits to Rocketsled666 for this tip.

This is an excellent “larger” DF offering from Horizon. Despite the higher price point, I don’t mind that it doesn’t have flaps or retracts. The simplicity is refreshing.. similar to a larger and more powerful UMX MIG-15 (which I happen to love flying as well). And the flight performance is impressive, even at 5920ft (Highlands Ranch, CO), with flights ending in long gliding flared landings that are similar to what another RC pilot said in the video, “the space shuttle coming in.”

Hope you enjoy the flight and video as much as I did.

UPGRADES / MODIFICATIONS:

ESC Cooling Mod – I performed an almost identical Cooling Modification posted by Rocketsled666 on the RCGroups.com Eflite FJ-2 Fury Thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=787

TRANSMITTER, RECEIVER, & SETUP:

Transmitter: Spektrum DX8 (G2)
High Rates: Factory Set Programming (Flight Flown in High Rates)
Low Rates: Factory Set Programming
Center of Gravity: 155mm from the leading edge of Main Wing at the Root
Battery: Roaring Top 4S 3700mAh 70C
Throttle Timer: 4 Minutes
Lipo Final Voltage: 15.28 Volts out of 16.80 Volts (40%)

Camera: iPhone 7 at 1080P / 60 FPS
Cameraman: Mike “Deuces Wild” Frontiero

Thanks for watching and if you haven't already please click the Thumbs Up and Subscribe!
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply