Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster - RCGroups Review - RC Groups

Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster - RCGroups Review

Smaller and easier to transport, the 65" Turbo Bushmaster delivers all of the performance and fun of it's larger sibling. Designed around the new Xpwr T3910 outrunner and a 4S 2500-3300 mah Lipo, this potent package packs a punch. With its scale lines, and large flight envelope you can enjoy hours of sport aerobatics. Let's jump right in with Mean Joe and find out what all the fuss is about!

Splash

Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster

Product:Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster
Retail price:$289.95
Wing Span:65"
Length:51.5 w/spinner"
Weight:4.5-5Lbs.
Motor:Xpwr T3910
ESC:AirBoss 80amp (timing set to high)
Batteries:4S 2500-3300 mah Lipo
Servos:4 metal gear sub-micro servos (Hitec HS-70MG) for flaps & ailerons
Servos:2 metal gear micro (Hitec HS-5087MG) for elevator & rudder
Available from:Legacy Aviation

Extreme Flight has been hard at work expanding their Legacy Aviation line of airframes. In an effort to produce a smaller more easily transported version of the 85" Turbo Bushmaster, they have come up with the 65" version!

With the amazing flight characteristics of its larger sibling, little brother has big shoes to fill. Let's jump right in with Mean Joe and check it out!

On The Bench

The 65" Turbo Bushmaster arrived at Mean Joe's lair, undamaged and ready to rock. All of the hardware was separated out into individual bags to prevent you from having to dig through everything to match up the parts needed for each step. The Turbo Bushmaster features a low parts-count and straight forward build. Once you download the manual you'll be on your way!

Mean Joe will be outfitting this one with the XPwr T3910, AirBoss 80amp ESC, Hitec Servos, and 15x7 prop. This setup, once coupled with your favorite 4s 2500-3300 MaH pack, will produce plenty of power to execute all the sport aerobatic maneuvers you can throw at her.

Builders note: Make sure you set the timing on your 80amp AirBoss ESC to high. Instructions are provided with the ESC to complete this process.

The Build

The build on the 65" Legacy Aviation Turbo Bushmaster is pretty straight forward, and I see the intermediate builders out there having no issues getting her ready to maiden in no time at all. All the parts fit as intended, and I had no issues with the build from start to finish.

Builders Note: Once you get ready to install the control horns to the control surfaces, you will want to match them up with the wings to make sure you cut the holes on the correct side of the surface. The holes are on both sides and if you don't pay close attention it's easy to have them upside down. An additional tip is to put some masking tape around the slots you have cut out so as you apply the epoxy the excess can be removed by simply peeling off the tape. You will want to do this while the epoxy is still tacky and not completely set.

One of the most important things to ensure is the placement of the horizontal stab. It's going to be easier if you use a slow setting epoxy during this step to give yourself more time to adjust it's placement. Start by measuring the distance from the vertical stab to the tip of the horizontal stab to make sure it's centered. Then you can make use of the pre-installed hatch pin to run a string from it to the tip of the horizontal stab on one side. Mark this distance on the string, then simply rotate the string to opposite side making sure the mark lines up again and adjust as necessary.

Now you can install your pull-pull rudder setup, preferred radio equipment, and move on to the power system install.

Using the recommended power system set up, the installation is very simple. Just install the XPWR T3910 and AirBoss 80amp ESC as directed in the well-written manual and she will be ready to rip.

Once you have the power system installed, it's time to tackle the cowl. Using some masking tape to hold it in the proper position makes it simple to get the holes drilled so that everything lines up. When you have the holes drilled, remove the cowl and place a drop of thin CA glue in each of the holes in the fuselage to strengthen them for the screws. Let the glue dry completely before you install the screws; this should only take a few seconds with thin CA.

Now that we have everything ready to go, let's head out to the field and see what Lil' Brother has to offer!

Flight Review Video

Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster - RCGroups Review (4 min 37 sec)

Flight Report

The Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster got to the field ready to hit the skies! We plugged in the 4s 3300MaH pack and headed out. The first thing that was apparent was that this power set up has plenty of juice to perform any of the scale aerobatics you can think of with plenty to spare. After just a few clicks of trim, she was ready to get to it.

Cuban 8's, Snow men, sharks tooth, hammerheads, and much more, were all right in the wheel house of this amazing flying sports airframe. We ran the Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster through all of its paces and noticed no negative flight characteristics. The only real difference I noticed between the larger version and this one was that this one didn't seem to be quite as "floaty" as its bigger brother. This would be mostly due to the increase in wing area from one size to the next.

One of the things I want to point out is the low-speed handling of this airframe is awesome. Low speed, flaps down, low passes are a total blast! It holds its lines really well with very little wing rock. This combination makes for some super fun scale passes. Just remember to keep some power on to avoid the dreaded tip stall.

In Closing

In Closing, I will tell you that the Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster should be on your short list of new airframes. It's scale looks along with its wide flight envelope will make for a ton of fun. Whether you're heading out for some relaxing scale flights or want to hone your sport aerobatic skills, the Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster is the right plane for you! Until next time ~Mean Joe

More Information

For more information on all the gear used check out these links:

Legacy Aviation 65" Turbo Bushmaster

XPWR T3910 motor

Air Boss 80a ESC

Hitec HS-5087MH Digital HV Premium Metal Gear Micro Servos

Hitec HS-70MG Servos

Hitec Optima 9 RX

Hitec Aurora 9

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Aug 08, 2017 at 01:22 PM..
Aug 04, 2017, 01:22 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Nice review, I had the priveledge of assembling and flying the first prototype. I already had the 84" version so I was thinking the 65" version would be OK but not as capable as the original 84. I was wrong, the 65" really is just as capable and with the smaller size will certainly offer some flexibility to those with smaller vehicles or storage space and still get all the fun this airframe has to offer. What a joy to fly.
Jeff
Aug 08, 2017, 06:00 PM
Nice review. This is a GREAT Flying plane. Just be mindful of the timing on the ESC. I already had a XPWR T3910 blow on me as I did not set it up properly. Wonderful flight envelope and flies perfect on floats.
Aug 10, 2017, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaReef123
Just be mindful of the timing on the ESC. I already had a XPWR T3910 blow on me as I did not set it up properly.

Was the motor damaged or the ESC and or battery? Any details (causes, effect, solutions) would enlighten me and maybe a few others. Was the motor repairable? Thanks
Aug 10, 2017, 12:07 PM
The motor burnt up. In speaking with NorthWest RC (which is an AWESOME company to deal with) it seems the timing needs to be set to high. The manual doesn't really speak to this but apparently its a known issue. It does state that the motor should never exceed a certain temp (I think it was 185 degrees F).
I was using a turningy 85amp ESC set to auto timing. When I was flying I heard a high pitch noise then the motor smoked. I have returned it to see what this issue is and if it can be fixed. You could see the damage to the windings on the motor. We'll see what happens.

A buddy of mine flys his with a Castle 100amp set to high timing and has no issues. Probably has over 40 - 50 flights on it.

No issues with the ESC. I was flying a 15X7 prop. My buddy flies a 14X7 -
Also, I fly mine off water so there is approx 2 lbs of weight added to the plane which means the motor is working harder.

My buddy (who has had no issues) also flies off water so I am ruling out the weight thing. Never know though,.
Aug 10, 2017, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the detailed report! I'm setting up the larger 84" Bushmaster with that stock motor and a Castle 90 amp ESC. Wonder if it is a same situation with that one.
Aug 13, 2017, 10:22 AM

BEC/ESC on/off switch

Sorry for what is likely a silly question but the BEC/ESC comes with an on/off switch but no markings as to which way is on and which way is off. Can someone help me with how I can tell which direction is on and off. Just getting back into the hobby after 10+ years and am a newbie to all the electronics
Aug 13, 2017, 01:41 PM
easiest way is just hook it up to the receiver your gonna use before you put it in the plane. Just hook it up to a motor with no prop on it and power it up with a battery on the bench.
Aug 13, 2017, 01:42 PM
This will also help in knowing what leds to plug in in what order so the motor turns the right way too.
Aug 14, 2017, 08:57 PM
thanks Mean Joe. Appreciate it
Aug 15, 2017, 12:20 PM

Legacy bushmaster 65"

What are the recommende d low rate control surface deflections for this plane. No mention in the manual.
Thanks -nebby
Aug 15, 2017, 12:40 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Yes set high timing on the Airboss ESC with XPwr 3910 motor.
Jeff