Taranis and Skynavigator.. how to link these? - RC Groups
Jul 17, 2017, 01:22 AM
Discussion

Taranis and Skynavigator.. how to link these?

I have been searching the web for a while to try and find out if anyone has a solution for linking the GPS and Airspeed/Vario telemetry I have streaming into my Taranis X9E, with a tablet running skynavigator ? It seems counter intuitive to me to put in another telemetry transmitter in my sailplane, simply to be able to link it to a tablet for the moving map display and datalogging. has anyone any ideas how I can get the telelmetry stream out of my taranis, and into a tablet running Skynavigator? Would be much appreciated ! I suspect that I am not the only one unwilling to spend another 1000USD + on more elelctronic telemetry and fit it into my sailplane, when it is already there on my taranis! I see Jeti has a special box that sends the data stream via bluetooth to the tablet running skynavigator. Are there any such add-ons yet for the taranis?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2017, 02:47 AM

The jeti droidbox is a solution, one for Taranis?

The jeti droidbox is a solution, how long until someone does one for taranis? or could the jeti box be modded to work for Taranis?
http://www.jataya.net/en/SkyNavigator
Jul 18, 2017, 09:35 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
The FrSky S.Port Airlink can provide a telemetry stream via Bluetooth to a phone/tablet.

Bluetooth Telemetry has been available for FrSky applications since Telemetry arrived on the D series modules, but has largely depended on various hobbyist bluetooth serial links. The Airlink changes that.
Jul 18, 2017, 10:56 PM
Thanks mawz, but this unit goes into the TX how? the idea is to stream the received telemetry into an iPad or android tablet running skynavigator, and this airlink gadget looks like it plugs into the receiver simply for setting up the receiver and telemetry parameters before launch? Will it plig into the TX, and if so, where and how?
Jul 18, 2017, 11:34 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomblinm
Thanks mawz, but this unit goes into the TX how? the idea is to stream the received telemetry into an iPad or android tablet running skynavigator, and this airlink gadget looks like it plugs into the receiver simply for setting up the receiver and telemetry parameters before launch? Will it plig into the TX, and if so, where and how?
It will plug into the TX, to the S.Port plug in the battery bay. It's a multi-function unit intended for doing pretty much anything you'd want to with an S.Port link and USB or Bluetooth.
Jul 19, 2017, 05:50 PM
Found a video:
FrSky Tool S.Port Airlink Overview (1 min 41 sec)

At the very end, there are a few seconds of how it is plugged into the TX. Now I have to try this on my Horus and see if there's an app for Android.

Scotty
Jul 20, 2017, 12:59 AM
skynavigator app.. http://skynavigator.ch/kaufen/
https://www.jataya.net/de/node/112

superb! this looks like what we all need ! wicked ! thanks for the youtube link
Jul 23, 2017, 09:58 PM
I hooked up the Frsky Airlink as shown in the video and set the DIP switches to wireless and configure. I was then able to successfully pair my Galaxy S4 (Android) to the device. I downloaded and installed the Sky Navigator application and the free version does not allow bluetooth connections. :>(

Tomblinm, are you able to successfully use the Sky Navigator application with the Frsky Airlink?

I want to do something similar to what you want, but I would like to get a real time Google Earth 3D flight path using the Airlink. I also tried using the older Frsky Dashboard from the Android Market Place and that too did not connect to the device. It looks like I will have to write my own application to do what I want or wait until Frsky releases an Android version of their Free Link software.

Scotty
Jul 23, 2017, 11:44 PM
Or buy a cheap second hand ipad mini? Im still awaiting my airlink from aloft hobbies, will report further.
cheers, marcus
Aug 01, 2017, 05:05 AM
If anyone is interested, I wrote a blog a few years back here about an android application and vario-gps board I made: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=65963. It was tested with a frsky telemetry system and a bluetooth bridge that cost me 7$. As I somehow didn't go further with the application I've decided to open source it at https://bitbucket.org/glidebywire/gbw-android.
The vario-gps board is today compatible with jeti/skynavigator too.
Aug 01, 2017, 02:21 PM
Hi Jupiter9!

Thank you for your hard work figuring this out and also for making the code open source. I will most likely go your route and build my own Bluetooth module for my Horus and then modify your code to work for my needs. Like what you did, I am looking to write an Android app that can live stream the telemetry to a GUI and/or write it to a file with a choice of formats. I have seen where Google Earth can reload /refresh a kml file every second to show a 3D flight path and I got the kml file part working. I just need the telemetry converted to a certain format for Google Earth to load.

If I get something working, I'll post back to this thread.

Scotty
Aug 01, 2017, 04:00 PM
My application is logging flight as igc files which is a standards for real gliders paragliders and so on. You can find some nice google earth based igc viewer on the net.
Sep 30, 2017, 07:35 AM
HI guys, Im still here. i got the airlink but havent gotten any further. How do you get a paid version of skynavigator?