A Blast from the Past Vintage Fly-In - RCGroups Event Coverage

All that was missing was the crew cuts and classic cars at this vintage fly-in at RDRC in Raleigh, NC!

Splash

Take yourself back in time with these vintage aircraft

It was a hot day in Raleigh, NC, but that didn't deter 48 pilots from showing up with a vast array of vintage aircraft! This event was designed for any aircraft that was designed or manufactured before 1982. Since I didn't have anything that qualified, I had planned on just spending the day with my clubmates and appreciating the old airplanes. But with such a great turnout and unique aircraft that you don't see much of, I thought you all might enjoy a quick summary!

I think the RDRC field saw more nitro fueled engines at one time than it has in the past decade! It was great hearing the buzz of the 2 & 4-stroke motors, and the smell of the nitro exhaust all day. While the requirement was an aircraft made before 1982, the majority I saw were from the 60's! There was no 3d-ing on the flight line with these babies, it was a much more relaxed flying style observed this weekend. While most had been converted over to modern radio systems, there were a few that made it to the runway guided by original 72mHz Kraft radios. One was even setup with an older push-button & switch Contrailair silver box transmitter.

At the end of the event, over $1,200 in prizes was given out; chosen by a unique nitro-powered ball shuffler designed by the events CD Herbby Alford! Once he got the engine started and gave it some throttle, the balls magically lifted and bounced about the chamber before being pulled into the winners tube. What an awesome way to run a raffle that only some good ole' R/C ingenuity would create! The prizes included some nice folding chairs and wagons, a battery jump-start box and a stick-built Skylane kit ready to go.

So dust off those planes in the attic, check em over and get some air under their wings again! And plan to bring them out next year to the RDRC Vintage Fly-In!

Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Jul 16, 2017 at 05:29 PM..
Jul 17, 2017, 02:41 PM
Nice write up Nick. Thanks for posting pics too.
Jul 18, 2017, 02:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
Thank you for the cool event pictures.
That's not a nitro prize picker BUT a Nitro Popcorn machine LOL
Jul 18, 2017, 03:12 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER
Thank you for the cool event pictures.
That's not a nitro prize picker BUT a Nitro Popcorn machine LOL
Hah! As long as you don't mind a little castor oil on your popcorn, it adds a unique flavor for sure!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jul 18, 2017, 07:13 PM
DFS#000178
I'm actually just about to build my first 'vintage'.

https://store.flying-models.com/cata...oducts_id=1407

Absolutely cannot wait.
Jul 18, 2017, 11:12 PM
turkeyfeet
Looks like it was beautiful day! Nice to see some airplanes that are hand built. Also good to see some 40 and 60 sized nitro airplane out and about.
Latest blog entry: video
Jul 19, 2017, 07:41 PM
So cool, I'd love to go to one of these events. Thanks for the article and pics. Well done!
Jul 19, 2017, 08:23 PM
Modeling Retread
Vintage modeling includes many airplanes favored by boomers as young adults. Models like this Sig Kougar.
Latest blog entry: Prop Reamers
Jul 20, 2017, 01:37 AM
Not one playboy, bomber or record breaker.
Jul 20, 2017, 08:40 AM
Matt Mabry
Great photos!
Is that Black and Yellow bipe a Fleet #2? Absolutely beautiful.
Aug 13, 2017, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately I missed this event but have a vintage story for those interested. I will put this on my calendar for next year. My only regret is not having the original Kraft radio to fly it with. I did find the old servo tray with the original servo's still installed and the receiver. The radio was definitely sold many years ago. Just finding the Klipper itself though was good enough. Here are the details.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...er-36-years%21

Quick Reply