99% of R/C Video's Suck - RC Groups
Jul 16, 2017, 11:30 AM
WJH
WJH
Re-Born Foam Lover
Rant

99% of R/C Video's Suck

What is it about people in this hobby, who post videos? Do they not watch the video first, and ask themselves:
1)Is this worth watching, or is it boring as hell?
2)Is the first two minutes where nothing is happening other than fumbling around, should be edited out?
3)Is the video of the sky, with a 1 pixel width dot(the airplane)flying around, decent footage?
4)Is it acceptable that the autofocus is hunting constantly, and much of the footage is blurry?
5)Will others be annoyed by my music choice? Should I even have music(no!)?

The absolute best video's are anything from Flitetest(Big surprise, owner runs a video production company), and video with commentary that are educational, with the subject matter presented cleanly(UAV Futures, Bardwell, Etc)

If you want to post decent video's, then COPY what those guys do, don't try to re-invent the wheel.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2017, 11:51 AM
Ever thought of NOT watching it
Jul 16, 2017, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie64
Exactly

No reason for a RANT thread about this.
Jul 16, 2017, 12:07 PM
Well, sure. 99% of all home videos no matter what they're of suck. Sometimes that's not the point. (The video might be intended to show a specific thing without any consideration or care given to production quality so long as it shows that thing.) The rest of the time, most people just don't have the skill to put together a good quality video.

Also one of the reasons I don't make and post videos. I just don't think anyone would want to watch my lousy videos of my mediocre flying.
Jul 16, 2017, 12:08 PM
A lot of them are junk, no doubt about that.
When I turn one on I'll scan back and forth through it a few times, if it's just dust speck planes or other BS, I'm gone.
And I usually turn off the sound, I don't want to listen to someone else's idea of music.
Jul 16, 2017, 12:21 PM
WJH
WJH
Re-Born Foam Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Exactly

No reason for a RANT thread about this.
I forgot to ask for your permission to create a new thread, Doh!
Jul 16, 2017, 12:22 PM
WJH
WJH
Re-Born Foam Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie64
One has to watch a video to know if it's worth watching.
Jul 16, 2017, 12:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Trigger warning: YouTube dialect

Wottzopp gooyyzzz, today I'm doin' a, uh, a unboxin' vidja 'bout, uh, bout the new Horizon Hobbies, uh, Blade, uh yeah, Blade, Horizon Hobbies, X-Vert? You should like totally subscrooyyybb, hawhawhawhawhaw!
Jul 16, 2017, 01:15 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
I think it's more like some of the singers on Xfactor ... they just don't realise how bad they really are and are shocked when the judges berate them coupled with video filming / editing is a profession in itself.

Personally if it's junk within the 1st few seconds I just close it as experience says it's not going to get any better.
Jul 16, 2017, 01:24 PM
Probably 95% of all videos on youtube are garbage, it's certainly not unique to RC.
Jul 16, 2017, 01:27 PM
I think a lot of people post videos without much caring what anyone else really thinks. Most stuff I put on YouTube is there mostly just for me. Sometimes I just dump footage there, it's free storage. Sometimes I'll set it to a track that I like, because it's mostly FPV stuff and the sound recorded by a little HD camera on board an electric RC plane is mostly quite unpleasant.

But I would struggle to name anything that I could care any less about than the average RC'ers opinions on my taste in music.
Jul 16, 2017, 02:07 PM
If you MUST post a video of your pride and joy, please post it after you have the thing trimmed out and you can keep it close enough in to see what it is . Set the camera to manual focus at around 75 feet, so the auto-focus doesn't "hunt" to focus on your model. Use image stabilization feature. Trying to keep the model centered in the LCD viewfinder is difficult. Camera person should look past the camera with left eye to keep track the model . If your camera person is not camera savvy, take the time to teach them for better results.

I really don't like prolonged videos with on-board cameras, the thrill is gone!!
Jul 16, 2017, 02:50 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
WJH.

Can you point some of us poor video posters to some of your videos, so we know what we should be doing and get inspiration.

I know my videos are poor, I have to use a small keychain camera attached to the side of my glasses, so I don't expect much.

But then I post videos just to give other modelers an idea of how my model flies, (proof it does ), not my skill as a cameraman. I would love to produce top quality videos, but just can't afford the film crew.

Ray.
Jul 16, 2017, 03:05 PM
I tried to make a video once with a camera mounted on an old hard hat. Not very easy, sometimes I had it but mostly just sky.
Jul 16, 2017, 03:15 PM
Gravity sucks.
Im a modeler, not a videographer, and Im not hiring one for a hobby .