Oct 28, 2017, 09:35 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Yeah, the rear gearbox metal would be good... the front I wouldnt bother. IMO, if you damage a front box, that wont be the only thing borken....

I like the plastic arms.... they have so much slop and movement, they hardly ever break....

Alloy tends to bend and stay bent...
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2018, 01:18 PM
I recently got another HSP Bronto because someone was selling them super cheap on ebay.

It has been very reliable apart from the rear hub carriers breaking. I spent quite some time researching the issue and seeing contradictory advice etc but eventually found a solution that sticks.

On the most fundamental level the problem is that the dog bones are slightly too long and lock up before the shocks reach the end of travel and before the chassis can slap the ground. This transfers the force to other parts such as the hub carriers which are already one of the weak links by design.

You can adjust the upper links so they are more or less parallel with the dog bones, this improves things a lot and allows the front of the chasiss to bottom out quite easily. The rear end is a little tighter though especially with the bigger wheels of the "GraveDigger" version.

You can improve the matter further still by installing slighty shorter dog bones and using o rings, springs or a little fuel hose in the cups to keep them centered so they don't fall out, just like you do with most vehicles anyway.

Once you do both these things the chassis will easily touch the ground and allow the force to be absorbed by the chassis rather than small parts like the hub carrier.

Since doing these mods I haven't had any more issues.

I initially upgraded the truck to a faster brushed motor, a 15T 550 FTX:

Bronto (1 min 39 sec)

And then more recently a sensored Graupner 17.5T. This motor gives fantastic low RPM control as you'd expect from a sensored motor but still has a good burst of brushless power. I usually use it on 2s but have tried 3s too. The power is intoxicating but I think I'll need a wheelie bar before it can become a full time 3s runner!

bro (2 min 24 sec)
Last edited by nowinaminute; Apr 06, 2018 at 01:24 PM.
Apr 07, 2018, 05:40 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowinaminute View Post
I recently got another HSP Bronto because someone was selling them super cheap on ebay.
Hey! that is my number one excuse.... er, reason I use?

Maybe you are a brother from another mother (and father)

The brushed motors are very fast to be outgrown.... to me, brushed is for young tackers.... like little kids... any big kid (like us adults) will become bored real quick....

Yes, the dog bones being long will break very easily.... but on ebay and BG and the like, you can order in various lengths.... if yours is supposed to take 90mm, you can buy 88mm. If your model needs 88mm, you can buy 86mm and so on..... especially on the front. Using O rings is good to keep them centered, same as slices of rubber hose.... or even using silastic/silicone glue into the sockets with the dog bone in place can work....

What I do is disconnect the shock (s) and move the wheel up and down fully and make sure the dog bone is not binding at full movement.... especially checking the front with the suspension at maximum travel and the wheel turned maximum as well... if the dog bone is tight and even bending... it wont last long before it breaks when driving....

As I mentioned earlier, I have also fitted the concertina rubber boots over some joints making the dog bone to socket like a little CV joint on a car
Apr 09, 2018, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowinaminute View Post

It has been very reliable apart from the rear hub carriers breaking. I spent quite some time researching the issue and seeing contradictory advice etc but eventually found a solution that sticks.

On the most fundamental level the problem is that the dog bones are slightly too long and lock up before the shocks reach the end of travel and before the chassis can slap the ground. This transfers the force to other parts such as the hub carriers which are already one of the weak links by design.

You can adjust the upper links so they are more or less parallel with the dog bones, this improves things a lot and allows the front of the chasiss to bottom out quite easily.
In most cases I heard, the dog bones bent. I fortunately did this fix before anything bad happen to mine. Since I upgraded mine to brushless, I like to run it on-road than off-road just to enjoy the speed. Also I stripped the thread for the bottom screw on the front-right hub carrier & I'm using the non-standard screw for the moment. I'll need to fix that before running it off-road. I'm just too lazy to do that right now. I have cheap ESC in my truck but I should have get Hobbywing instead.

RC Adventures HSP Monster Truck Brushless Upgrade (2 min 13 sec)
Jun 10, 2018, 05:53 AM
I've given my second truck a hell of a beating over the last few months and it is still going strong!

Doing those few mods with shorter dogbones etc makes a world of difference, it really is the only major weak part of the whole thing. I've lost count of how many times this poor thing has gone into a cartwheel down a hill etc and the only thing that breaks now is the body shell.

I actually bought some alloy rear hub carriers but since I put in shorter dog bones and adjust the upper links I've never needed to install them.

If anyone reads this and is thinking of getting one then please, address the dog bone issue and you will have miles of happy motoring. The truck is a great compromise between on road and off road ability, it's sturdy and the parts are dirt cheap. If you see one selling for a low price then it makes a great base to build a cheap brushless basher on.

It's not the best truck in the world but for the money you get so much more than some brands, I'm a big Tamiya fan but this chassis is lightyears ahead of any of their truck platforms and a lot of the parts that Tamiya sell as hopups you get for free.
Jun 10, 2018, 06:45 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
For the money. I reckon these are awesome...

Quick Reply