Time to shut her down? - RC Groups
Jul 15, 2017, 09:11 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Discussion

Time to shut her down?

My Shapeways 3D Print shop, that is.

When I realized that 3D printing was a practical way to get great fittings for my builds, especially when there were no good commercial sources, I jumped on it. And after creating a number of parts for commission builds, like weapons for PT boats, I realized that I could also make them available through Shapeways for others in need of the same goodies.

But I also realized that anyone who knew how to use CAD software could do the same... and that eventually, guys hungrier than me would start flooding that market with lower quality but cheaper parts. And that the lower price would grab many modelers' attention, even if the parts were just so-so. After all, they might still be an upgrade when compared to Dumas' two nails used for a pair of 50 cal machine guns!

So that time has arrived, and it just ain't worth it to me to wrestle in the mud for these sales. I'm not going to add anything more to my Matthews Model Marine shop at Shapeways, and might go as far as actually turning it off. Oh, maybe a few parts done as favors for friends... and certainly I'll keep designing and making parts for my own builds... but I won't be spending any time upgrading and pushing the shop.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2017, 10:27 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
My Shapeways 3D Print shop, that is.

. And that the lower price would grab many modelers' attention, even if the parts were just so-so. After all, they might still be an upgrade when compared to Dumas' two nails used for a pair of 50 cal machine guns!

Oh, maybe a few parts done as favors for friends... and certainly I'll keep designing and making parts for my own builds... but I won't be spending any time upgrading and pushing the shop.
Pat, Mr. Matthews, I have never understood the Shapeways relation with you . I always thought YOU were Shapeways shop until I started seeing Luis' work show up here on the threads n wondered ,? HHUuumm they live half a world apart but online makes you neighbors so thought ya'll were "partner's" in the 3D business(Shapeways). I know this all sounds ignorant because I am and have been afraid to ask ,...UNTILL now,! Because I would hate lose a skilled model master of the tech stuff before I EVEN GET through the basic tried n true stuff trying to learn from same friend,!!!!! Tim aka Cap'n hax
Jul 15, 2017, 11:54 PM
Pat I for one really appreciate the efforts you have made. As soon as I can locate a descent set of diagrams for the CC Corvette I plan on picking up your fittings. One thing I have had a problem with is actually locating what's actually available on Shape Ways. It seems to me it's a very clumsy system. Maybe it's just me.
Jul 16, 2017, 04:12 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Bill,

I agree-- can be really hard to search. I find it ieasier to use google, to do a web search for "shapeways 1/20 PT Boat" for example.

Pat- I'd ask that you leave the shop online, even if you don't keep adding to it.....
-Bill
Jul 16, 2017, 06:08 AM
a certain number of us will always buy "the great stuff" knowing that the cost of fine fittings is small against the total spent on a build (time and money) your service to modeling community has been outstanding.. if you do decide to shut things down, please give us some good amount of time to squirrel some things away for future projects..
Jul 16, 2017, 06:23 AM
Agreed. If you are going to cease operations please give us time to make purchases for future projects.
Jul 16, 2017, 06:35 AM
Pat please don't close it down. Let it ride as is. I'm planning to get all of my armament from your shop. I've seen your stuff on models I haven't seen anyone else's therefor I'm hesitant to buy it.

Speaking of that which cowl vents are late war?
Last edited by ABNwolfeman; Jul 16, 2017 at 06:44 AM.
Jul 16, 2017, 01:07 PM
Pat- Sorry to hear that you might be giving up the ghost, on making more 3D parts, but I agree with the other fellows here on the forum that if it cost you nothing to leave it up on the Shapeways site, then leave it up.

If it does cost you to leave it up and you want out, then post it now and let the ones who wanted to get your parts their final chance to get them. That ends the I wish I had know you were going to shut down, I wanted to order a bunch of stuff, BS.

Being in model business more years than I want to count, I can tell you that anyone who thinks that starting a business that has anything to do with modeling is easy, I say have at it, and good luck to you. There has been a saying around the industry from way back when that goes, “How to make a million in the hobby business, start with two million”. Another one that comes to mind is “When is a hobby not a hobby? When you make it your business”.
Jul 16, 2017, 03:52 PM
lots of water; some of it thin
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
Pat- Being in model business more years than I want to count, I can tell you that anyone who thinks that starting a business that has anything to do with modeling is easy, I say have at it, and good luck to you. There has been a saying around the industry from way back when that goes, “How to make a million in the hobby business, start with two million”. Another one that comes to mind is “When is a hobby not a hobby? When you make it your business”.
Well said.
Pat, your post will prompt me to review what you have available. I like everyone else herein knows the superb quality of all you do.
Jul 16, 2017, 05:39 PM
Pat,
I am chiming in to ask that you leave your shop open. I have believed, still do, that paying for quality is much less expensive in the end. Your products rank up on top.
Jonathan
Jul 16, 2017, 08:08 PM
Yes. I purchases a few months back Sterling Corvette parts and they were
Top Notch The lighting & lenses will be the finest details on this project that is running now and being fully detailed
It will be a absolute loss if you shut down. I plan to build next 1/24 PBR
One of Franks Mosquito last boats he sold to me
Dual KMB jets installed ,build in progress

Radfrad
Jul 16, 2017, 08:46 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thanks, and hey, post pics! ...might encourage me...
Jul 16, 2017, 10:55 PM
r/c ships and workboats
maybe get each part printed then cast a mold for easier production and sell that way or through another in a joint venture.
Jul 17, 2017, 12:45 AM
After making my main sample , i will copy them into silicone mold material and make Urethane parts from the mold , I can make parts at 1/4 the price and time of your rapid prototype , Yes I can only get about 30 copies from each mold before they self destruct , But I can produce 30 of each per mold time about 20 mins temperature permitting .
The main thing here is my main sample is sanded and smooth before i make the mold .
They don't look like a shredded wheat man .
The new industry of these machines is for quick production of parts that don't exists , They are good at this but costly .
Using one of these to make copies for sale as mass production is way too pricey .
And in you're own words other fellows will get these machines .
In my other profession I get a lot of items that have been rapid made but the line over lap can be quite crude and very rough surface, Some of the pro out fits don't take the time to make it with a finer line space , Most of the pro places will charge about $70 or more per hour that the machine runs for .
Gary
Last edited by West Coast Tug; Jul 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Jul 17, 2017, 07:27 AM
Pat, I intend to purchase some items from you later this year, so even if you shut down please be open to group members who appreciate your skills giving you some pocket money!