Odd/Rare North Pacific Products or other RTF "dime store" models - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 15, 2017, 03:28 PM
Discussion

Odd/Rare North Pacific Products or other RTF "dime store" models

Hi, all!
I just got another "oddball" model from North Pacific Products, one of the "Tuffoam" models from the late 70's. It's the " Buzzer", a low wing, all foam rubber powered model. The more I search for NP and other "dimestore" RTF models, the more I realize that I have very little knowledge of how many different models were actually made.

With that in mind, post up your rare or oddball stuff you may have in your collection or just remember from when you had them.

BTW, it's missing the red plastic wing clip. It uses the "inverted" wing clip, like on the older NPP "Jet Flyer Shooting Glider" catapult glider. If anyone has a spare, I'd be interested in making an offer for the clip or the whole glider so I don't have to keep swapping clips between my two models when I want to fly one or the other.

Name: NP Buzzer.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 49.3 KB
Description:

Tommy
Last edited by LS6 Tommy; Jul 30, 2017 at 07:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2017, 07:39 PM
Good thread topic! Edit - sorry, this is not quite RTF...

How about this one - Airlane Model Co. A2D Skyshark. All sheet 50 cent model from the early 1950s. I copied the parts and plans and built one this spring - it flies surprisingly well. Flew it again today, as a matter of fact. I've also picked up an Airlane MiG-15, but haven't built it yet.

170216 Airlane Skyshark with Build Photos (1 min 43 sec)

Mike
Last edited by MKellyvich; Jul 17, 2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Because I re-read the thread title...
Jul 17, 2017, 02:31 PM
I got over a 1 min flight with an astro-gnat....it is one of there smallest models, I did modify by sanding, adding more airfoil camber and I put in polyhedral as well, fun little model!
Jul 19, 2017, 03:08 AM
Do you know about this website?
http://www.oldwoodtoys.com/north_pacific.htm
In the mid-50's I spent many afternoons throwing NP Strato's until my arm was sore. Used to clip the wing under the fuselage (sub-rudder) with a zero/zero decalage. Sometimes they would transition ok, other times they would lawndart or even glide inverted.
Jul 19, 2017, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKellyvich
Good thread topic! Edit - sorry, this is not quite RTF...

How about this one - Airlane Model Co. A2D Skyshark. All sheet 50 cent model from the early 1950s. I copied the parts and plans and built one this spring - it flies surprisingly well. Flew it again today, as a matter of fact. I've also picked up an Airlane MiG-15, but haven't built it yet.

Mike
Lovely model Mike, and looks to fly really well! Any chance of posting the plans?

Steve
Jul 19, 2017, 06:22 AM
Steve,

Plans and parts sheets for the Airlane Skyshark are available in the HipPocketAeronautics.com plans gallery.

Cheers,

Mike
Jul 19, 2017, 09:55 AM
Steve Jensen, that oldwoodentoys site was a great read - thanks for the link!
Jul 21, 2017, 12:17 PM
Tommy,
Good idea for a thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what some of the folks come up with.

I'll dig through my box of models to see what I can contribute. BTW, I'm sure I have one of those inverted wing clips around, I can send it to you (PM your address again).

John
Jul 29, 2017, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
Tommy,
Good idea for a thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what some of the folks come up with.

I'll dig through my box of models to see what I can contribute. BTW, I'm sure I have one of those inverted wing clips around, I can send it to you (PM your address again).

John
Hi, John!
That would be great! PM sent. I "borrowed" the inverted clip from my Jet Flyer and opened the box to take the Buzzer out for a little back yard flying and I found out the horizontal stab is missing, too. I noticed the wings are identical to the Sky Flyer, so I tried the horizontal stab from one and it works, it's just kind of a shame to not have the original one because NPP had nice red graphic designs on the flight surfaces.

Thanks again!
Last edited by LS6 Tommy; Jul 30, 2017 at 07:46 AM.
Aug 09, 2017, 11:40 PM
Here's an old offering from Testors, early '60's.
The concept was pretty good, but the actual model is heavy.
John
Aug 10, 2017, 09:17 PM
Here's one you won't see very often.
This model is one of Frank Macy's prototype gliders from the mid '80's. It's based on the '404' Interceptor, and Frank's freehand artwork really makes it pop.
John
Oct 29, 2017, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Here's one you won't see very often.
This model is one of Frank Macy's prototype gliders from the mid '80's. It's based on the '404' Interceptor, and Frank's freehand artwork really makes it pop.
John
That's beautiful!

BTW, I sent you a PM. For some reason, none of my sent messages show in my folders, so I don't know if they actually went out or not...

Tommy
Oct 30, 2017, 12:22 AM
Diesel Danny
Regarding the plastic wing clips and nose pieces, could a modern 3-D printer produce reproductions that are strong enough?

No, I am not making them - but it might be worth investigating if it means getting an old model flying again.

* Danny M *
Oct 30, 2017, 09:04 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
.... It's based on the '404' Interceptor....
Speaking of which....

This is one of Frank's production as well. I flew it for some years on and off on calm days for giggles. It never failed to make the RC glider guys smile.

But it's been on a shelf for about the last 10 years.

Following pictures to post here it's now flying flights of fancy in my Rogue's Hang'ery of models as seen in the third picture.
Nov 01, 2017, 11:28 AM
I have a "404" Interceptor made from NOS parts and newer balsa and a REALLY nice repop of the original Army target model. I also have an original Pursuit, an original Ceiling Walker (with props that have flattened out over time) and another Ceiling Walker made from NOS parts and new balsa. I've been looking for an original Hornet, but haven't had much luck. All the ones I see on ebay are either incomplete, damaged or WAY too much money. I may just throw in the towel and get one of the repops...

Tommy