Apr 30, 2019, 10:15 PM
Scale Builder
Looks real familiar. You're almost to the fun part now!
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2019, 02:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Looks real familiar. You're almost to the fun part now!
Haha thanks Chad. Starting on the cockpit now so I can get the canopy into place then finish surfacing/panel lines etc... you know, the little things that all together really stand out.
May 04, 2019, 05:47 PM

Typhoon

I built Brian Taylor's Typhoon and used a servo for each aileron, but I did use one servo for the flaps as it shows on the plans.
I am using a Saito 120 for power. The only problem I have had was getting a proper set of retracts of which I think I finally have the solution. I am using E-Flite 60-120 electrics.
Good luck on your build. It is will be a great looking airplane
Curt
Last edited by triflyer; May 08, 2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: all ready sent
May 18, 2019, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
Hi all, as mentioned at the start of this thread,this particular model was started by a family friend that flew them in combat with 486 Sqn RNZAF. I recently acquired the book "One More Hour". In it is this photo of 486 Sqn and there he is, D.G. Fail (Dave), sitting on the wing.
May 18, 2019, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
Meet Dave, and in his new home.
Jun 26, 2019, 03:05 AM
Thread OP
Haven't had much build time lately (plus it's been damn cold in the shop!!) But I did get the pilot and cockpit parts painted and ready for installation.

Also had a new canopy and spinner arrive from Sarik hobbies, best get back into it :-)!
Jun 26, 2019, 03:11 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Great job on the instrument panel and pilot, will be great all installed.
Jun 26, 2019, 06:08 AM
Great job, looks really good.
Not sure if the parachute belts are yellow. In the picture they look so. Only friendly advice, they should be white
Jul 17, 2019, 02:36 AM
Thread OP
Hi all, I got the cockpit and pilot installed, to be honest I've never been good with building cockpits (one advantage of pattern f3a models!) but I'm happy enough with this one.

Took a little sequence planning to squeeze it all in but it did all fit!
Aug 12, 2019, 03:37 AM
Thread OP
Made a little more progress lately, I've put clear plastic over the wingtip and landing lights then faired those in to the wing surface. Brand new canopy from Sarik hobbies has been glued on and faired in. Then the fiddly task of laying out the tape for panel lines. I've elected to get the basic surface to be "Pretty good" then added the tape, I've used 1/64" chart tape and its finicky. My plan is to then be generous with the primer and block sand it back until the tape and white primer is showing, pull the tape out and I'll have a nice small groove left...

The little dark blue lines are the tape :-)
Aug 12, 2019, 08:15 PM
Nice job with the build it's coming along

Mike

Quick Reply