Sep 11, 2018, 02:59 AM
Thread OP
Tonight I got the top of the wing fibreglassed. Again I added the carbon tow under the cloth for a little extra strength.

Hopefully over the weekend I can now start making the wing fairings.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2018, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
One of the challenges in taking over a build like this is 25 year old balsa. This sheeting in the nose was thin to start with then when using just sandpaper on the filler I pushed my fingers right through.

Future note, block sand at all times and gently!!
Last edited by grahamj4; Sep 24, 2018 at 09:50 PM.
Sep 30, 2018, 03:24 AM
Thread OP
I made the wing fairings! My usual method is basic but seems to work ok.

First I glue a piece of thin balsa to the wing seat in the fuselage pre cut to the plan form of the fairing, bolt the wing in to make it fit and clamp it down to the wing as well. This makes sure everything fits. Then I add the small section aft of the wing with slightly thicker balsa to allow for the thickness of the wing trailing edge. Once all the glue has dried I use a can of expanding foam. Let it start to grow then press a large piece of plastic food wrap over the top and press it down, this minimizes the large bubbles that can appear in the foam. When THAT is dry remove the wrap and carve the foam to the desired shape. Finally some light weight filler to smooth the surface before fiberglass is used.

I decided to do the horizontal stab/fin fairing at the same time.
Oct 01, 2018, 06:01 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Still lurking,,

Nice work on the filets,, I think I'd re plank that forward fuselage area though,

good luck
Oct 03, 2018, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Still lurking,,

Nice work on the filets,, I think I'd re plank that forward fuselage area though,

good luck
Thanks, I had considered replanking but it went back togethor really well. I may add an extra layer of fiberglass for durability, again is is useful weight at the right end of the model.

The Typhoon is going to have to come off the bench for while so I can paint Sukhoi I'm building for a friend.
Jan 29, 2019, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
Seasons greetings everyone. Finally got time off work, have completed my friends Sukhoi and baby daughter is asleep!! The perfect storm! So I got the fibreglass on to one whole side of the Typhoon. With the ambient air temp somewhere around 30 celcius, in the shop its mid 40s so the resin sets fast and I had to work quick. Having everything prepared and the cloth laid our before hand meant that from mixing resin to all cleaned up took about 20 minutes ��.
Jan 31, 2019, 02:29 AM
Thread OP
Second side done, waited till a little later in the day and the temperatures were much more bearable :-).
Jan 31, 2019, 10:10 AM
Any one try and order anything from Unitracts lately? Been writing to them for a couple of weeks now and got one response, but nothing on weather they are still willing to make a set for this plane. I have a short kit of this plane, canopy, two cowling and plans. Anyone use any other brand of retracts?
Feb 01, 2019, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy151a
Any one try and order anything from Unitracts lately? Been writing to them for a couple of weeks now and got one response, but nothing on weather they are still willing to make a set for this plane. I have a short kit of this plane, canopy, two cowling and plans. Anyone use any other brand of retracts?
To be honest I had to look them up and see if they even had a functioning website, the set I have were purchased a long time ago. You could likely use any set of retracts that have the correct angle. From there it comes down to personal preferences and budget :-).

Get into it mate!!
Feb 20, 2019, 03:17 AM
Thread OP
Last bits of fiberglass went on, belly pan and cannon blisters were added and glassed, cannons glassed as well as the ailerons and four flap pieces. My standard process then is to sand everything back until the cloth weave is showing (NOT all the way through...) then mix microballoons to something a bit thicker than maple syrup. Spread this on evenly using a bank card again. No point putting too much on as it only gets sanded off, its much more important for an even layer across the whole surface. The weight is minimal using this method, once side of the wing and flying surfaces, and liberally applied on the cannons used 20g of filler. I'll probably sand half of that off again!
Feb 20, 2019, 04:39 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Great stuff, still following along here. I have all the laser cut parts and plan ready to start ASAP. Keep at it!
Feb 25, 2019, 03:08 AM
Thread OP
Well, so far it is all working, all flaps and ailerons have had microballoons sanded then primed. These need essentially no more filler only a finishing sand.

The photo shows the wing half sanded, and even though there was not much filler on there most of it still comes off. The microballoons is light but also hard work. I primed underneath the wing and it's better than 90% good as is. A few touch ups here and there and I'll be satisfied.
Feb 25, 2019, 03:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade
Great stuff, still following along here. I have all the laser cut parts and plan ready to start ASAP. Keep at it!
Awesome! Get started and share on here if you like!
Apr 30, 2019, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Just put her together quickly for some motivation. Mostly because I hate sanding and wanted to see the benefits!
Apr 30, 2019, 09:17 PM
There needs to be a LIKE button....

Quick Reply