Jul 15, 2017, 04:35 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Brian Taylor Typhoon

Hi all. I little while back I inherited a BT Typhoon that had been started by a family friend who flew them in combat. I recently pulled it out for closer look and discovered that it was still really straight and would not require too much work.

I always knew it had to be painted in 486 sqn RNZAF markings and have settled on SA - R, (the background aircraft in the photo).

I had a DLE 30 in the shelf and decided that would do but I would have to shift the firewall back 3/4". I also opted to ditch the aileron belcranks for separate servos and the complicated micro switch door sequencer for computer radio programming.

I'll add some more photos of progress to date soon,

Cheers, Graham
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2017, 06:46 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Cool project,,, I'll be lurking
Jul 15, 2017, 12:17 PM
Pro Hoarder
Very Cool!..signed on
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jul 16, 2017, 12:55 AM
Thread OP
I got the motor mounted today, and it was surprisingly easy! Standard practice is once the bulkhead is in, stand the fuselage up and balance the motor on it's mounts, onto the bulkhead. Put the cowling on and spinner backplate. Carefully move the motor around until the backplate lines up with the cowling. Carefully remove the cowl and mark where the motor ended up and drill holes. Easy...

Because the Typhoon cowl is so huge I'll need decent baffling to cool the motor properly and I'll make an ignition mount that will tie onto the upper stand offs.
Jul 16, 2017, 01:07 AM
Awesome!
Jul 16, 2017, 01:45 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Typhoons need a lot of weight upfront because of the short moment of the short nose. I would shove a 55RA in there....its not like you don't have enough cooling area.
What size plane is it, I'm not familiar with the BT Typhoon.
Jul 16, 2017, 02:30 PM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga
What size plane is it, I'm not familiar with the BT Typhoon.
72" span, really thinking a 55 would be WAY over the top. Brian's prototype was Laser 1.20 powered if memory serves.
Jul 16, 2017, 09:27 PM
No place like cloud base!
Brian Taylor's models are all built very light and fly very well on the recommended power. Be aware that you will need to reinforce the structure since your using a DLE 30 and also fly it in a scale like manner. This isn't to say that it's structurally weak, just that Brian never design it to take a 30cc thumper. I think it was designed around a .60 glow motor.

All the best,
Ian
Jul 16, 2017, 10:17 PM
Full scale or 1/8 scale
I've wanted one of these for years.Looks great.
I have the cowl for that plane but I can't find the time to build the plane.

I'm willing to sell the cowl,if anyone is interested.
Jul 16, 2017, 11:09 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Ah, so it's a fairly small plane. Looks can be deceiving I thought it was bigger!
Jul 16, 2017, 11:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Noble
Brian Taylor's models are all built very light and fly very well on the recommended power. Be aware that you will need to reinforce the structure since your using a DLE 30 and also fly it in a scale like manner. This isn't to say that it's structurally weak, just that Brian never design it to take a 30cc thumper. I think it was designed around a .60 glow motor.

All the best,
Ian
Yes you are right, some areas will need reinforcing and I can be quite guilty of forgetting everything about throttle managemwnt as soon as there are guns fitted! Adding strength to the nose is also good because it is useful weight at the right end of the plane.

I have done a good bit of scratch building before so there shouldn't be any problems :-).
Jul 16, 2017, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga
Ah, so it's a fairly small plane. Looks can be deceiving I thought it was bigger!
Not a big plane, but the cowl is disproportionally large.
Jul 23, 2017, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
I little more on the typhoon today, rewiring the retracts and gear doors to update from the micro switch sequencer. So far it looks like slowing down the servo speed is going to work perfectly, then I found a problem. The hard wood rails the retracts are mounted on are in turn glued to balsa ribs, think I'll have to beef this up . Not sure exactly how yet but I suspect it will involve carbon fibre.
Aug 13, 2017, 02:59 AM
Thread OP
While prepping to glass my Sukhoi rudder today I decided to have the Typhoon stabiliser and elevators ready in case I had left over resin. I used Hobbyking 18gsm cloth and all up used about 20g of resin so have not added much weight.

Take care, Graham
Apr 27, 2018, 05:37 AM
Thread OP
I got back to the Typhoon again and while it doesnt look like much getting stabiliser and fin glued on took quite a bit of work!

Due to the way some parts had already been built, glueing the stabiliser on meant I had to connect the elevator pushrod, this meant the elevator hinges had to be glued, which meant the stabiliser and elevators had to be fibreglassed and surfaced, but first I had to reshape the elevator leading edges to get better control throws... But it's glued on and it looks good!

I continued trying to set up the inner u/c doors that were originally driven with an analogue micro servo, but this was not giving enough movement. So instead of re-calculating what sort of servo horn i needed which would also throw out the pushrod alignement I have used a programmable digital servo, just have to adjust how much throw I need.

Quick Reply