This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 14, 2017, 08:59 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Volantex RC Ranger G2 757-6 Mini Review

I've had the pleasure of dealing with Banggood.com for several years and if anything, their choices of real hobby-grade models has become very impressive.

Such a model is the new Ranger G2 757-6 from Volantex RC. No, I'd never heard of the company prior to my Banggood contact "BG Tobey" offering this model to me as a blog review subject. If I may be so bold, I believe we'll all be hearing from Volantex more and more in passing months.

For an incredibly low $72.99 with free shipping, Banggood will deliver a PNP Ranger G2 with all electronics mounted and ready to go. All one needs to get flying is a suitable radio and batteries. Banggood's ordering page has a link to the recommended batteries, but those recommendations come with XT60 plugs while the ESC in the Ranger has a Deans Ultra-Plug clone.

No matter; this is a very nicely done all-EPO model with a wonderful finish, good fitting parts and quick assembly. Even the control surfaces are hinged! If I had it to do again, I'd pick up some servo extensions for the receiver and Callie Graphics decals.

Assembly is quick, made easier by a well-written manual. Decal application was a real bear; getting them to lie down properly took a lot of work. Again, I highly recommend Callie Graphics.

Two canopies are provided, one "bubble" and one which will accept an adhesive-backed action camera mount. FPV is no problem since the Ranger G2 is purpose built for FPV with an opening in the nose for a camera lens.

Flight characteristics are fantastic. Volantex markets this 1100mm model as a combination trainer, camera platform, sport plane and powered glider. The mains are removable and a single glider type wheel and tire are already built in. Admittedly, it looks strange with three wheels up front.

Once airborne, the Ranger is both fast and, owing to its pusher prop design, very stable. Ground handling on grass is good, but asphalt could be better. The culprit is a tail wheel with a tiny hub and a large, squishy foam tire with a tendency to pull away from the hub. I used a bit of foam glue to keep it attached, but that didn't help the handling.

The model's ordering page is here.

Quick update: Tobey at Banggood asked me to add a link which can be tracked. The above link will still take you to the US sales page.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Aug 02, 2017 at 05:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2017, 08:07 AM
Good review DismayingObservation,

Do you think about tip stall and noise down on full throtle? From the Volantex the Raptor v2 has the inconvenience tip stall on low velocity and you need fly over 40km/h all the time. Your big brother Ranger 757-3 has noise down tendence when full throtle because motor angle.

Regards,
Patryck Oliveira
Jul 16, 2017, 11:46 AM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patryck
Good review DismayingObservation,

Do you think about tip stall and noise down on full throtle? From the Volantex the Raptor v2 has the inconvenience tip stall on low velocity and you need fly over 40km/h all the time. Your big brother Ranger 757-3 has noise down tendence when full throtle because motor angle.

Regards,
Patryck Oliveira
Hi, Patryck!

I noticed the tendency to nose down as well and I'd forgotten to mention it. In my sample, the tendency disappears when I fly it with a camera. My guess is that the motor incidence angle is intentional to compensate for the weight of a camera.

I haven't noticed any tendencies toward tip stalling since it's designed to be a powered glider as well. Mine glides beautifully on approach with the gear installed and I haven't tried flying it as a glider. I'd swap to a folding prop before I would attempt it.

Thanks for the kind words!
Jul 17, 2017, 06:58 PM
Thank you!

I bought a kit version. I dont have found review about kit version, this way I would like use 2212 1000kv 4s and 8x4 propeller. What is your opinion?

Regards,
Patryck Oliveira
Jul 18, 2017, 05:14 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patryck
Thank you!

I bought a kit version. I dont have found review about kit version, this way I would like use 2212 1000kv 4s and 8x4 propeller. What is your opinion?

Regards,
Patryck Oliveira
Good questions. I was given the receiver-ready version, so I can't say for sure. I think it'll be a blast to fly on that combo! My only concern would be the clearance between the prop and the tail boom.
Aug 04, 2017, 03:33 PM
Bought one , newbie in rc plane I'm and I want just say that: easy handlaunch and fly.
Difficult to find CG without cam except put mini 2200mAh bat or ballast.
So for me it's a pleasant plane with you can do a lot: trainer fpv etc... just not amphibious.
Surely not the best (I don't know the planes) but for the price ( pnp ) put your tx, bat and fly.
Sep 11, 2019, 09:48 AM
Great FPV platform!

Quick Reply