Jul 14, 2017, 08:39 PM
FREE VAPOR TRAILS
Thread OP
Discussion

Twisted Hobbys Crack Laser Pro - freestyle on a new level!

Presenting the Crack Laser Pro!

Tech scheme

USA scheme

32" span
~5 oz flying weight
2S 350-450
Super Lite style construction

Built with thin but rigid and durable EPP foam, extensive carbon fiber bracing and reinforcement, and world-class design, the Crack Laser Pro aims to be the most precise, stable, and sharp small freestyle airplane the world has ever seen.

The original Crack Laser was a precision freestyle monster, designed to take advantage of everything the "Lite" construction had to offer. With the advent of RCFactory's Super Lite construction, new avenues were opened for performance of Twisted Hobbys offerings. Not just a re-casting of the Crack Laser with Super Lite construction, every line, moment, and area of the Crack Laser Pro has been breathed upon to take full advantage of the lighter weight, better aerodynamic properties, and increased rigidity of this build style.

Equipped with a proven and bulletproof power combo (including metal geared servos!), the Crack Laser Pro is simply breathtaking in the air. It combines a huge speed range with lightning quick aileron response, zero-rock harriers, and of course, dead true knife edge. Despite its low wing loading, it never feels sluggish. The Crack Laser Pro is gentle and forgiving for newer pilots while remaining extremely satisfying to freestyle hot shots.

Twisted Hobbys Crack Laser Pro (2 min 58 sec)

Some of you may have seen it at Joe Nall, maybe even had a chance to pull the sticks. If you did, you'll understand my excitement about this design. It's quite frankly my favorite foamy and if I had to fly just one airplane in indoor competition it would be this. It outperforms most depron airplanes. It's quick, capable, precise, and stable all at the same time. It's as close to a "thought controlled" airplane as I've ever flown. You can actually get it into a torque roll with full left aileron, then take your hands off the sticks completely except for holding aileron, and it will stay there, rotating in one spot.

Another great thing about this airplane and this power combo is that you can transform it completely with a prop change. WIth a 2S 350 and an APC 3D 8x4.7 prop, it's gentle, easy, and precise. A great first indoor airplane, or lazy evening pattern flyer. Put a 9x3.7 APC 3D prop on it and it wakes up immediately. The additional thrust and increased airflow over the ailerons makes it faster and much more responsive without sacrificing wing loading. A 2S 450 will give you 5 mins of flight time easily, the TH 2203-1800 is tremendously versatile.

A Lite or Standard aircraft is a better choice if you are learning to fly outdoors a lot. The Pro, like all Super Lites, does not handle wind or crashes quite as well as a heavier airplane by its nature. It will also take a little more care to build. But if you are ready for the next level of performance, these sacrifices are more than worth it.

Some of you may also notice that this plane does not include thrust vectoring. Simply put, I did not feel it was necessary or on this design. I was able to get plenty of yaw authority with just rudder control, and the increased durability and reduced weight and complexity was a winner for me.

I'm totally in love with this plane, and I know you guys will be as well!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2017, 08:41 PM
Team Twisted!
Looking forward to getting mine in the air as well... build pictures to follow for all those interested.
cdee
Jul 14, 2017, 08:57 PM
Team Twisted!
Wow! Looks great! Can not wait to fly it!
Jul 14, 2017, 09:10 PM
TEAM TWISTED
This plane is sick...

I've been flying it a lot in the yard here at home. I love it. As usual, I have a lot of power in my setup. We can talk about that later

Mine is 190 gr or 6.4 oz with the battery. I'm flying a 1.5 oz or 42 gr battery pack. So, plane alone is 4.9 oz.

Here are a few shots of my plane to help you look and see what all is going on.

Crack Laser Pro Demo Vid 1 (2 min 49 sec)
Last edited by ROLLING CIRCLE; Oct 10, 2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Add video
Jul 15, 2017, 08:58 AM
Team Twisted!
Crack Laser PRO...!!
A couple snaps of the build I started earlier this week... will progress thru it with everyone here on the thread with comments along the way.

1.) Switched over from Welders to Foam Tac a couple builds back, really happy with the change, so, Foam Tac is my new standard.
2.) Using thin CA on all the carbon to Foam bonds/joints, use to hit all the carbon stuff with a little sandpaper then wipe down with alcohol, sand paper part is not really needed, but definitely wipe all the parts to remove any surface contamination from manufacture, will help the glue stick.
3.) There is a lot of carbon in this kit, dont let that discourage you, the Twisted Hobbys planes build really nice and all the slots are pre-cut in the airframe, so just follow along with the directions and you will breeze thru it
4.) Power Combo kits are the way to go if you are so inclined.. they are spec'd to be the best components for the airframe, and all the pre-cut holes match the components perfectly.
more to follow later today and tomorrow.
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Jul 15, 2017 at 09:20 AM.
Jul 16, 2017, 11:50 AM
TEAM TWISTED!
Sweet thread going on! Been loving mine and everyone got a kick out of it under the lights at fliteFest, fun time hanging with ya Benton!
Jul 16, 2017, 08:02 PM
TEAM TWISTED!
Couple pics of the CLP in action under the lights at my local field
Jul 16, 2017, 09:42 PM
Team Twisted!
Flite Fest was great flying with you Ethan, you really wind that plane up! Fastest roll rate I have ever seen on a foamie! I can not wait to be building and flying one soon!
Benton
Jul 16, 2017, 11:53 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
Will absolutely be ordering one of these. I've had my original red crack laser lite for a very long time now, like got one in the first year it came out. I was thinking about getting another one as I can build a lot lighter now and the foam-tac builds lighter than the foam-cure I originally used. But the Laser Pro looks like a great upgrade for the upcoming indoor season.
Wonder if under 5 oz with battery is possible.
Jul 17, 2017, 09:11 AM
TEAM TWISTED!
Awesome RCVG! You will love the CLP indoors, the performance of it is like no other!
Jul 17, 2017, 09:38 AM
Such a beautiful plane, and I have absolutely no use for it. Way too few very calm days around here and no indoor venues. But man, I want a plane as pretty as that USA theme. its just gorgeous.
Jul 17, 2017, 03:23 PM
TEAM TWISTED
No doubt, BadAxe.

She is patriotic and really pretty.

If you can fly low in next to some trees and buildings, you can fly this thing when the wind blows a little bit. It's not as bad as you might think outdoors.
Jul 17, 2017, 04:26 PM
TEAM TWISTED!
+1, mine was performing pretty well under some wind at FliteFest.
Jul 19, 2017, 06:15 AM
Team Twisted!
I got mine built last night! All went together great. Just a few last minute details to do. Looking forward to flying it. This such a well designed flying Machine!
Jul 19, 2017, 07:04 AM
TEAM TWISTED!
Looks great Benton! Love that scheme as well

Quick Reply