This thread is privately moderated by rsilk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 14, 2017, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Using 9XR Pro with XJT module to control a Simulator wirelessly

I have been playing with Clearview on the iPad and they have a PC based version (Java) which is around $40. I wanted to use the trusty 9XR Pro but did not want to be tethered to the computer, so went looking for a wireless solution.

What I found was the Orange ORX USB Wireless dongle (Frsky protocol) which I got from Hobbyking for around $15. This device has a Frsky D series compatible receiver and appears to the PC as a HID game controller. They also sell a DSMx protocol version.

My situation was slightly complicated since I have a Macbook running Parallels with Windows 7.

The first step is to bind the dongle with transmitter which in my case is an XJT. The dongle works in D8 mode, so I changed the dip switches on the XJT to match. However, after getting everything working, I put the switches back to X16 -- and it still worked!?

You need to press the button on the dongle when inserting it, presumably to put it in bind mode since the blue light flashes.

I made sure that I could see the new USB device in Windows in the game controller control panel and noticed that Windows installed a suitable driver for it.

On the radio, I created a new model using the basic 4 channel template. Then I went to "Protocol" page and set:
External Module ON
Proto XJT
RxNum {unused #}
Type D8
Chans 8
I saved the model and went back to the Protocol page and hit Bind. I have to admit I had a few attempts at binding, but at some point the blue light on the dongle went on solid . I removed the dongle and reinserted it without holding the button and it stayed solid showing it had bound succesfully.

Now I went back to the Game Controller control panel and brought up the properties dialog. When I moved the sticks I could see 4 moving inputs showing in the dialog! I now had a connection from the radio to the windows game controller interface.

I installed the Clearview simulator and then was prompted to select the controller device and map the 4 gaming axes to AETR.

There happened to be a helicopter on the initial screen, so I lifted the throttle -- and it went up in the air! And then crashed since I have no idea how to fly a heli.

Next I picked a plane model and started zooming round the playing fields and even did some barrel rolls. This should be fun

YMMV, but as long as Windows recognizes the inputs from the radio in the Game Controller device, then this should work with any simulator that supports HID game controllers.

ORX Frsky Manual:
https://hobbyking.com/media/file/o/r...gle_manual.pdf
Last edited by rsilk; Jul 22, 2017 at 07:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply