Jul 16, 2017, 10:57 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgibjones
Nice video.

Who made the music?
Thanks! Michael Nau is the artist - heard that track on KCRW and immediately knew I'd want to use it in a video.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2017, 11:00 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
Don't know if Andy Ellison frequents this forum much these days, so I'll share this on his behalf.

He posted this to the VTPR & Slope Aerobatics group yesterday.. it's an unballasted Ahi flying in 35mph wind at Great Orme in the UK. His son Dani-Ge on the sticks... sweet flying.

Ahi (1 min 48 sec)
Jul 16, 2017, 11:13 PM
Cool video for sure. It's interesting to see the ahi get to the phase where it ceases to penetrate and is in the super float/hover state where you can perform aerobatic maneuvers in place. My modified dlg does this in 20+ but ahi roll rate is impressive for sure.
Jul 17, 2017, 12:22 AM
Auzzie built planks
Awesome video guys , really great to see it flying at different slopes and conditions. and vast capabilities of this ship.

One thing I can not help to notice , is the lack of OR no white caps on the ocean. At 35mph or 30 knots the ocean would be white.
Looks more like 1/2 or 2/3 , in great cliff lift

Cheers

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
Jul 17, 2017, 01:17 AM
Everything is broken
Yeah I was wondering that myself. Down at water level no way is that 35mph. But maybe much more on top of that cliff? They're pretty high up. No question that they have near vertical lift though.
Jul 17, 2017, 07:24 AM
It's definitely blowing look at his pants... You are not going to get that knife edge hovering without a lot of wind and you are not going to get that roll authority in light winds. The other plane in the video wasn't penetrating either.
Jul 18, 2017, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck
Awesome video guys , really great to see it flying at different slopes and conditions. and vast capabilities of this ship.

One thing I can not help to notice , is the lack of OR no white caps on the ocean. At 35mph or 30 knots the ocean would be white.

Cheers

Tim
I live 10 minutes drive from these slopes and fly there once or twice a week, it can be blowing 5 to 10 knots at home and at the slope you can barely stand up, it's famous for it! It's quite common for it to be 40knots plus at the top which is about 170 metres asl (around 560ft) The same day as this was taken a festival around 20 minutes drive away was cancelled due to 80mph gusts!
Jul 19, 2017, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
I already posted this in the Dream Flight Ahi thread, but just in case it gets buried there, figured I'd start a new thread to show off flying videos of the new plane.

A bunch of people have bought one (or more! LOL) since it released on Wednesday, and I'm sure there will be many more videos coming soon. So let's turn this thread into an Ahi video extravaganza - post up your own when you get a chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woBdiL0LzyI
Very nice video. Is your slope site there in Santa Barbara? It's a beautiful area. My late dad lived in Ojai also very beautiful. I just ordered an Ahi today and am guessing the airfoil is either symmetrical or very close to it.
Jul 20, 2017, 02:16 PM
Voc
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck

Cheers

Tim
I've had this raised on vids I've posted, it's a tidal estuary NOT open ocean and a sw has the protection of a huge mountain range opposite.. Trust me it was blowing 35mph that day, I live by the Orme.

Also the Orme Andy was flying has a unique shape and the bottom of the slope is wide and it narrows at the top and is bowl shaped so compresses air/lift. It's a hell of a slope....
Graph taken same day from a local but more sheltered location, obviously speed is higher up the Orme
Last edited by v0cnorth; Jul 20, 2017 at 02:30 PM.
Jul 20, 2017, 06:08 PM
Flew mine for the first time today, superb glider.
(4 min 5 sec)
Jul 20, 2017, 06:33 PM
and another slightly shorter version.
(0 min 30 sec)
Jul 20, 2017, 08:21 PM
taste the high speed dirt
Easy there survivor man! Hahaha
Jul 20, 2017, 09:24 PM
altitude adjustment
Nice and precise!! The more I see the more I like!

I just got through press fitting mine together and "flew" it around the living room. Even DS'ed it behind the couch. Can't wait to get it to the slope.

Mark
Last edited by thumbhead; Jul 20, 2017 at 11:53 PM.
Jul 22, 2017, 03:53 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
Here is a video from yesterday. Michael, Steve and I met up at Elwood. Much fun was had!My camera was the only one that was working so Steve got the glory.

Dawson

(4 min 24 sec)
Jul 23, 2017, 06:36 AM
Aircraft Life
Fantastic flying. Thanks for the video.

Quick Reply