Dream Flight Ahi flying videos - RC Groups
Jul 14, 2017, 12:11 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Video

Dream Flight Ahi flying videos

I already posted this in the Dream Flight Ahi thread, but just in case it gets buried there, figured I'd start a new thread to show off flying videos of the new plane.

A bunch of people have bought one (or more! LOL) since it released on Wednesday, and I'm sure there will be many more videos coming soon. So let's turn this thread into an Ahi video extravaganza - post up your own when you get a chance!

Dream Flight Ahi Slope Aerobatics Glider (3 min 0 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2017, 12:40 PM
Nothing to see here...
So GOOD...!!! You haven't lost a step. Looks like a great flying plane. Can't wait to add one when my finances allow.
Great job Dreamflight!!!

Rubio
Jul 14, 2017, 02:17 PM
"Shoulda boughta volkswagen"
Ya looks killer....mines in the mail....im sure there will be quite a few tuna fish flying around OC
Jul 14, 2017, 02:57 PM
And Repairs
Very nice!! Thank you for taking the time to edit the video and for posting it.

Looks like I'd better spend more time on the simulator.
Last edited by TyFlies; Jul 14, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
Jul 15, 2017, 01:22 AM
What a really nice video, Steve !
I never been much excited about VTPR but that, it's awesome, this charming plane is fast, snappy, looks surprisingly precise, and it has the most important component in freestyle: Style !
I was one click away to get an Alula but I will certainly get an Ahi now...
Also, I miss Santa Barbara like crazy.
Jul 15, 2017, 08:51 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by bOjO
Also, I miss Santa Barbara like crazy.
We miss you too! Come back any time.
Jul 15, 2017, 10:51 AM
Usedbombistan
Are you using a camera on a headband for this?
Jul 15, 2017, 10:52 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
I know it's not a video...but here is a shot of Herb flying his Ahi during it's maiden session. I had just picked up my Ahi kit from Ken at California Hobbies in Santa Barbara and went out to Elwood just to see if it was flyable in the dramatic conditions. Well it was! With the Whittier Fire doing it's thing in the nearby foothills, there was actually an onshore breeze of about 6 -10 mph. I field replaced a servo in my Alula before flying it, and watched Herb enjoy his Ahi.

The Ahi did really well in the light conditions, flew very "groovy" and Herb never stopped smiling.

Andy

PS: Hey Joel!! Thanks for all the cool guitar and building stuff...still enjoying it all!!
Jul 15, 2017, 11:53 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Are you using a camera on a headband for this?
GoPro and corresponding head strap.

Head-mounted cameras are generally the easiest way to get decent video of slope gliders, assuming you don't have a friend who can film you (and understands how to take good video of slope flying - much easier said than done)

The GoPro makes this easy, but you can also do your own homegrown headcam setup by using electrical or strapping tape to attach your phone or digital camera to the adjustable strap of a baseball cap, and then wearing it backwards. Or driling the brim of a baseball cap to accept a screw the same size as your digital camera's tripod mount. (I've done both over the years). You can also do like Dawson and others, and attach a camcorder to the side of a helmet.

Many ways to achieve head-mounted camera nirvana... all of them look completely dorky in use. Enjoy!

Jul 15, 2017, 02:00 PM
Sky Surfers
Love to see the Dream-Flight hanger grow .
Jul 16, 2017, 02:30 AM
Usedbombistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
GoPro and corresponding head strap.

Cool.. I was looking at the Hero5 Session for exactly this kind of thing.
Jul 16, 2017, 09:29 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Here's my solution:

Rothco Pith Helmet (Amazon)
GoPro Curved Adhesive Mount

The curved adhesive mount fits almost perfectly on the brim of the helmet and the brim offers excellent sun protection. The white helmet also stays cool to the touch in bright sunlight and air can circulate between the helmet and my head. To be honest, I haven't tried it in strong wind yet, but the helmet comes with an elastic chin strap which I chose to remove. In it's place I intend to add a strap made out of a big fat shoelace that goes from my chin up through the head strap attachments and around the back of my head. That's how the strap on my Tilley LTM6 Airflo hat is rigged—and I've been on a ski boat at 80+ MPH with it on and it didn't blow off.

I'll add that I love my Hero 5 Black. One of my biggest turn-offs to the previous GoPro versions was the fisheye quality of the photos and video, but the Hero 5 Black's new Linear and Narrow FOV modes eliminate the fisheye. I also love the built in display on the back.

Pete
Jul 16, 2017, 10:19 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Cool.. I was looking at the Hero5 Session for exactly this kind of thing.
Great, just be advised that the GoPro has no ability to zoom, so you've got to keep the plane pretty close. Dawson and I refer to this as "GoProBatics"... it works great for spots like Ellwood or other coastal sites where you're flying "in your face" anyways, but at inland sites / slope thermal / etc, it can be more of a challenge.

I try to imagine what my videos will look like if watched on phone, and try to ensure the glider stays large enough in frame to remain interesting. Because if it looks good on a phone, it will definitely look good on desktop or a TV
Jul 16, 2017, 01:31 PM
Nice video.

Who made the music?
Jul 16, 2017, 02:14 PM
Usedbombistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Great, just be advised that the GoPro has no ability to zoom, so you've got to keep the plane pretty close. Dawson and I refer to this as "GoProBatics"... it works great for spots like Ellwood or other coastal sites where you're flying "in your face" anyways, but at inland sites / slope thermal / etc, it can be more of a challenge.

I try to imagine what my videos will look like if watched on phone, and try to ensure the glider stays large enough in frame to remain interesting. Because if it looks good on a phone, it will definitely look good on desktop or a TV
My slope flying is at Torrey.. so plenty of in close flying.