This thread is privately moderated by Ssayer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 13, 2017, 09:05 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
Discussion

Hubsan H501A/H501S with a Runcam Split

I couldn't decide which thread to put this in, heck there are about 5 or so that I could, so... I'm putting it here.

My 501A/S both default to 5828, so that made this pretty easy. I set the Runcam Split to 5645, which is what everything else I own runs at.

So, first... why? Well, where I fly has way way way more trees than open area and the Hubsans look out, not down. With the Runcam, I can set it (before flight) to look down at whatever angle I feel like and get both FPV video and HD recording (with very good WDR!).

What's my setup for the quad? I drew up and 3D printed a part that everything mounts to. It mounts to the quad with two Reusable Releasable Zip Ties. It takes a whole... 30 seconds to attach or detach the setup. I elected to run it from a 350maH lipo since I have a bunch of them and they are more than enough for a 18 minute flight. So...
1. Runcam Split
2. Eachine TX02
3. 350 maH battery
4. 3D printed plate
5. Velcro strap to hold battery on
6. Two releasable zip ties
7. 3 zip ties to hold TX02 and antenna on
8. 4 nylon screws and 12 nylon nuts
9. 1 losi connector to connect TX02 to Runcam PCB

What do I lose? About 25% of my flying time with the extra 51g of weight. On average (since I don't fly it to LVC), I drop from 18 minutes of flight time to 14 of flight time.

What do I gain? Heck, I wanted both of these to use as a "relatively" inexpensive AP platform. Being able to fly slowly over any given area and accurately line up shots is great. The ability to fly over the trees and spot things here and there is also fantastic.

I put a 7" monitor (my trusty dusty Boscam 5802) on a tripod in front of me. That way I get the forward video and telemetry from the transmitter and the view of the area below from the 7" monitor. Or when I fly the 501A from my phone for it's very nice waypoint setup, then forward video and telemetry from the phone and the view of the area below from the 7" monitor. Win/win!

Of course, nothing is stopping me from using all three at once...

3D Printed Part
Name: A STL.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 41.7 KB
Description:

Total weight (including straps) added to quad
Name: B Weight.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 117.3 KB
Description:

This is what it looks like from the bottom
Name: C From the bottom.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 201.1 KB
Description:

Mounted on H501A
Name: D Looks like this.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 103.6 KB
Description:

Close up
Name: E Close up.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 222.2 KB
Description:

From the H501A's cam
Name: F A This.png
Views: 73
Size: 1.17 MB
Description:

A little higher up, but... what you basically see at the same time from the Runcam's view
Name: G and this.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 374.3 KB
Description:
Last edited by Ssayer; Sep 02, 2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Made lighter legs, so changed the flight times
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2017, 02:31 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
You know, people can ask questions on this thread, they don't need to PM me to get answers. Right?

Anyway, I've posted the STL on Thingiverse. Here's the url:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2435319
Jun 29, 2018, 03:59 AM
What does everything weigh? The Runcam Split is 21 grams, what about TX, legs, frame and mounting materials?

Quick Reply