FrSky - New - Horus X10 and X10S - Page 31 - RC Groups
Sep 10, 2017, 09:47 AM
Computer Programer
Hi All
I love my Taranis X9D plus but I'm afraid to use it with my jet.

This new radio will come to compete with brands such as Futaba, JR in quality and stability it is very beautiful but it really is worth investing or venturing against stability versus price.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2017, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpr
Hi All
I love my Taranis X9D plus but I'm afraid to use it with my jet.

This new radio will come to compete with brands such as Futaba, JR in quality and stability it is very beautiful but it really is worth investing or venturing against stability versus price.
Your X9D will work just as good as long as it reliable. A new TX might have it's own issues.
Sep 10, 2017, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
I don't know how we got from 10 individual bearings to how many balls are in a individual bearing. The MC12 Plus gimbal is a new design for the X10S that has 10 individual bearings. The current Horus MC12 gimbal only has 6 bearings. We are not talking about how many balls per bearing.

I should have more information to share Tuesday, but the big storm that will hit Atlanta Monday might slow that down a few days.

Mike
I'm not sure why they were referring to how many balls are in each bearing, other than possibly stirring the pot, but I suppose we could play his game and say there are 100 ball bearings per gimbal (assuming each of the 10 bearings have 10 balls each, otherwise adjust the numbers accordingly)
Sep 11, 2017, 02:05 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
X10S Carbon Fiber - Production Model

A early production X10S Carbon Fiber evaluation system arrived Monday. The final production systems that arrive at dealers may have a few updates. As an example, for sure the metal part around the power switch that has the neck strap attachment point will have a anodized finish, etc. I’ll be updating this post real-time as I go through the review of the system. Feel free to ask questions and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

Overall

Overall to me it looks very impressive and somewhat menacing with the carbon fiber and dark look. The fit and finish is very nice and has a quality feel in your hands. I know this is very subjective depending on the user. The case shape is unique to the X10 so it has its own feel, but I rate it very good.

Carry Case

It is packaged in a nice black semi-ridged cloth covered zippered carry case with the FrSky logo embossed in the side. The case includes plastic gimbal protectors that cover the sticks for transport.

Dimensions

From the top of the case (not counting handle) to the bottom of the feet is 7 3/8" when measured from the front. The feet are tapered, so 1/8" less measured from the back. The case sides are tapered and it is widest near the bottom at 8 3/8". It is 8" just below the sliders and 8 3/8" including the sliders. From the front face to the widest part of the grip on the back is about 2". From gimbal center to gimbal center is 4 1/2". From the bottom of the case to the top of the handle is 8 5/8". With all the angles it is hard to measure, so numbers are approximate.

Operating System Firmware

The system is shipped with the FrSky FrOS and there will be a OpenTX version for the system. There will be some compatibility using X12S models. See sample FrOS screens below.

MC12 Plus Gimbals

The gimbals are similar to the gimbals used in the X12S and are CNC aluminum. The gimbal has 10 bearings compared to 6 for the X12S gimbal. There are four bearings for each gimbal axes, e.g. two on each end of each rotating mechanism. Having four on each axis reduced play in the rotating mechanics that improves the precision of the gimbal and centering. X – Y axis use 8 and 2 for the crossbars. The 8 X - Y bearings are not readily visible because they are located side-by-side and covered by the bearing block covers.

The gimbals feel nice and there is a setting on the FrOS info screen for ADC or PWM gimbals. The MC12 Plus gimbals use a new Hall Effect sensor that inputs a digital PWM signal into the main board. The return to center is excellent.

One thing I'm really pleased with is the silicone flex wires connect to the Hall Effect sensor from the side of the gimbal in a loop as I recommended a few months ago. It really improves the way the wire moves with the gimbal movement. The wires are potted at the Hall Sensor end and because of the wire route not needed at the other end. The silver rings around the outside MC12 Plus gimbals looks to be solid machined aluminum like on the X12S.

Stick End Switches

There are two connectors on the main board for analog and switch input from stick ends. They are not implemented in FrOS yet.

Antennas

The top of the case that is between the handle and has the FrSky logo on the front is a separate piece of the case.

The external antenna mount is recessed into the top of the case piece slightly and a tool is provided to remove the antenna. Once the antenna is removed the connector only extends about 1/8" above the case top. A cover/cap will be provided for the connector for folks that like to fly with internal antennas only. Because the there are two internal diversity antennas the external antenna functions standalone. When the external antenna is selected the internal diversity antennas are inactive.

The top piece also covers two separate diversity internal antennas that function in a time share mode. They look to be the normal flat antennas used before arranged in a V in the space between the external antenna and sides of the cover. The open part of the V faces the front face of the system, e.g. the V is facing up with the radio held level. At the bottom of the V there is a inch or more between the ends of the antennas so it looks more like this \ /. The top is removable, but it looks like the handle would need to be removed for clearance to lift the part.

The Bluetooth antenna is at the bottom of the case

Range Test

For the range test I used a test area in our neighborhood where I test all my systems, so I have a known bench mark distance. A X8R was used with whisker antennas and free standing with a 4.8 NiCad battery. The sides of the antennas faced the direction of the X10S with one antenna vertical and the other horizontal. The receiver was placed on a non-metallic location about 5" off the ground.

The LOS was mostly over dry tarmac, but in the last few days there have been prolonged days of heavy rain the grass both sides of the street was wet.

The X10S was first tested with the internal antennas and the top on the X10S was pointed directly at the X8R. The X10S was moved out until holding it to get the best RSSI until a RSSI of 42 could no longer be maintained. The RSSI level become more sensitive to the antennal aliment with the X8R at about 255 feet, but by changing the X10S aliment the 42 RSSI could be held to about 300'.

Next the external antenna was selected and the test was repeated with the X10S antenna folded to the right side. The alinement of the X10S with the X8R was less sensitive in maintaining the 42 RSSI all the way to 300'.

Keep in mind I'm not testing to receiver failsafe that would add more test distance. Overall from this testing I would rate the range very good and compares to my X12S and Q X7. See the range test map in the images below.

Case

The carbon fiber panel is inset into the case front, making it flush with the front case has a matt finish that matches the remainder of the case. The back of the case is easy to remove with only four screws and there is nothing attached internally to the case back. The brown rubber grips are darker in color than I expected and blend in with the case color well. The carbon fiber version will not have switch labels because they cannot be printed on the carbon.

The SD card fits in a slot in the bottom of the case and is slightly recessed so it cannot be accidently released.

The USB Port, Smart Port and Trainer Port are on the back of the unit below the external RF Module cover. It has a rubber cover. The headset jack is in the side of the lower right corner of the system.

There are two small holes in the bottom of the case next to the SD card for access reset button that will shut the system off immediately in the case of a system hang. The hole on the left side of the SD card is the reset.

The back of the case has two small plugs the fill molding holes.

Neck Strap

The neck strap seen in the picture looks very close to the X12S neck strap, but has a thinner hook that connects directly to the front of the X10S below the off/on switch. See image below of system hanging on strap. I have my neck strap configured to share a single connector, it comes configured with two.

Navigation Controls

The navigation controls seem to work well so far. The rotary encoder/enter knob fits well and does not feel lose like my Q X7. The PgUP/Dn is short press down, long press up.

Battery and Charger

The AC adapter 15 volt 1A DC power supply plugs into the external PCX10 charger that then plugs into a port on the lower left of the X10S case. The charger has a LED charge indicator. When the charger is first connected to the system the LED illuminates in a few seconds and turns off when the charge is complete. Full charge shows 8.7 volts on the FrOS battery screen with the default alarm set at 6.4 volts. With the charger plugged in the X10S can standup or lay on its back. The charger is marked with a charge current of 1.5A. The battery is a FrSky brand S2 Li-lon 2600mAh 7.2v.

The connector for the external charger looks like a type C USB connector, so some caution might be needed that someone does not accidently think it is the system USB connection.

Display

Tested display and it has the same good visibility as the X12S in direct sunlight. It is the same display as used on the X12S.

Flight Testing

9/15/17, Flight testing today. I made one eleven min fight on the internal antennas and a sixteen min flight on the external antenna setting. Testing was done on my 50" wing span test mule balsa aircraft with a X4R receiver. Both fights were uneventful with no issues radio control wise. The main plan was to get some data logs to analyze before more flights.

The nearest I can tell measuring using Google maps, the maxim LOS was about 800', but thee sides of of our flying site is over flying treed areas so it is hard to know exactly how far out I was flying looking at the map. I also expect that the trees may absorb some of the signal even though I'm flying LOS. The maximum altitude most likely did not exceed 300' with the majority of the flying a lower levels.

My data is logged every 500ms. With the internal antennas the lowest RSSI was 50 for a few events with the highest at about 92. The mathematical average for the RSSI was 68.32.

With the external antenna there were three 47 RSSI events, two 48 events and three 49 events and the rest all above 50. The highest RSSI was 94. The mathematical average for the RSSI was 65.35. I'll be providing my log file to FrSky as part of my review. See my note in the antenna section.

During my fight testing I did not pay any attention to antenna orientation and flew the way I usually do and not always facing the aircraft. The 800' LOS was mostly on the base leg of the landing pattern when the aircraft is lower to the ground and over the treed area.

The ergonomics of the system felt good and I used the neck strap. Not sure about the wide top stick ends. I think they would work really well for my race quadcopters, but for aircraft that need real precise throttle control with the throttle in the lower limits like on final approach and landing, my finger wanted to slip off the stick end. I'm mostly a thumbs flyer.

While I was at the field two club members came by at different times to fly. One is a JR user looking for a new system and the other is a Spektrum user that is moving all his aircraft to a X9DP. Both seemed to like the X10S.

Weather permitting I plan to get more flights in soon.

Features the X12S has that are not on the X10 or X10S

X10 and X10S

1. Front sliders
2. Third gimbal
3. Stereo speakers
4. GPS
5. 6-axis sensor (3-axis gyro and 3-axis accelerator)
6. Power switch cover
7. Futaba type trainer port
8. MP3 player
9. Separate buttons for PgUp and PgDn
10. Internal dedicated charger 1
11. Aluminum front plates on the X12S case
12. Aluminum carry case

X10

1. CNC metal gimbal.

On the X10 and X10S and not on the X12S.

1. Reset button
2. S.port (X12S uses module bay)
3. LiON 18650 batteries with protection circuit and that charges much faster
4. Stick protectors included
5. Newer iXJT module with 3 antennas (2 inner (diversity) + 1 external)
6. External charger
7. Zipper carry case

On the X10S and not on the X12S

1. CNC metal gimbal with 10 ball bearings and digital Hall sensors (X12 is six bearings and analog Hall sensor)

Some unboxing photos, screen images and high resolution images below .

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Today at 04:09 PM.
Sep 11, 2017, 03:05 PM
Looks great ........ Now I want one to
Sep 11, 2017, 03:12 PM
Stuck in J19ζ7
Looks awesome!

Can you give us some measurements for the overall size?
I currently use a Taranis and I'd like to know it the X10S would also fit my Thinktank Transmitter Cover or if it's too big for that.
Sep 11, 2017, 03:20 PM
slats move, slots don't
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadango
looks great ........ Now i want one to
+1.
Sep 11, 2017, 03:26 PM
Especially interested in reports of range.
Sep 11, 2017, 03:31 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7evin
Looks awesome!

Can you give us some measurements for the overall size?
I currently use a Taranis and I'd like to know it the X10S would also fit my Thinktank Transmitter Cover or if it's too big for that.
Posted,

Mike
Sep 11, 2017, 03:39 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark426
Especially interested in reports of range.
Will do that in my range test area when Irma goes away.

The external antenna mount is recessed in the top of the case slightly and a tool is provided to remove the antenna. Once the antenna is removed the connector only extends about 1/8" above the case top, so it will be easy to cover it up with a small cap for folks that like to fly with internal antenna only.

Mike
Sep 11, 2017, 03:41 PM
Hy,

what about the 2 sockets for the stick switches
possible at FrOS to select it?
Sep 11, 2017, 04:08 PM
Hi Mike,

totally appreciate you have somewhat more important things to deal with right now but when you get a chance could you please measure the distance from the bottom of the TX case to the top of the handle?

Reason being is I'd like to know if this will fit in my Seacraft tray and how I can make it do so.

Thanks
Sep 11, 2017, 04:14 PM
Stuck in J19ζ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
Will do that in my range test area when Irma goes away.
If you do that, could you also do range tests using just the internal antenna? Would be interesting to see the difference.
Sep 11, 2017, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7evin
If you do that, could you also do range tests using just the internal antenna? Would be interesting to see the difference.
I'd be very interested in that test as well as I'd like to use this without that rather ugly looking and vulnerable external antenna.

Thanks
Sep 11, 2017, 04:43 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by helle
Hy,

what about the 2 sockets for the stick switches
possible at FrOS to select it?
I see 2 extra connectors on the main board. I'll ask what the are used for. I went through all the inputs and I don't see anything that looks like stick ends.

Mike