FrSky - New - Horus X10 and X10S - Page 101 - RC Groups
Oct 02, 2017, 03:07 PM
cfg
cfg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Wow, this thread wonders around on subject matter.

I think what Scott Page is asking about is the import taxation laws. What category is a FrSky radio fall under for importation taxes? This is a total mess, here are a few possible options:

Toy
Electronics
Radio Gear

Each of those has a different tax burden when imported into a country. What would you classify a transmitter as? It seems whatever you answer is not correct. I have seen where Costco manages to get things pushed into the toy category and thus they pay no tariff to import, yet I bring in the same basic thing and it is a radio system and carries a tariff.

For that matter, why is there a tariff on radio systems? What radio manufacturer is left in the USA that needs tariff protection?

Anyhow, I have not heard anything about the battery door exception that Scott is asking about. Doesn't mean it is not a thing in some country or some to do somewhere. There are lots of weird things like that out there.

Heck, who knew only USA companies operating USA boats can use the ports in Hawaii and USA territories? Never heard of it.. there are a ton of odd ball things when it comes to importing or exporting. Always something to nip you in the butt, and someone else with a hand out for more money.
Cabotage acts are as old as Rhodes....nor do they bear on importation or exportation of goods since their origin is immaterial. They merely reserve coastwise carriage to home carriers, regardless of the nature, quality or origin of the goods.

Yeah, I wonder, too, about the hatch thing cuz it sure does not appear to be regulated as a specific safety issue, but I gotta say, who wants children eating batteries....

Anyway, maybe we can wander away from the whole hatch issue pending the electrical one, eh, Scott?

If the Frsky specified battery has a reasonably safe BMS viz shorts, and you supply a very, very specific warning as to why only, and I mean only, that battery should be used, then I reckon, speculate and expectorate you are home free!
Last edited by cfg; Oct 02, 2017 at 03:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2017, 03:13 PM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg
Note there is a declaration for a X10 “Plus” model!
there was a declaration for the X12 and X12D (will they ever see the light ?) https://fccid.io/XYFX12SDP/Letter/Pr...on-3115500.pdf
Oct 02, 2017, 03:20 PM
cfg
cfg
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
there was a declaration for the X12 and X12D (will they ever see the light ?) https://fccid.io/XYFX12SDP/Letter/Pr...on-3115500.pdf
What is this, metaphysics Monday in Brussels?

Depending on what you read, infer or believe the 12 line has been adeemed.

But, I do like the battery and charging system of my 12s.
Oct 02, 2017, 03:27 PM
"If the Frsky specified battery has a reasonably safe BMS viz shorts, and you supply a very, very specific warning as to why only, and I mean only, that battery should be used, then I reckon, speculate and expectorate you are home free! "

I think you mean Frsky supplied, but otherwise yes. The way things get designed in the real world is that "regulations" are often highly unspecific and subject to (expensive) interpretation later through the courts. So, smart folks like the IEEE work to develop design guidelines that should enable a design that implements those guidelines to meet the intent of the "regulation".

The battery architecture used in the X10 would appear to meet those guidelines - provided what has been stated by Frsky about the battery protection circuit is true. (I would be very, very surprised if it is not)

The "pack protectors" are off the shelf commodities today, some with balance as well and some without.

This one, for example would be a nice choice :

http://www.batteryspace.com/protecti...-function.aspx

As to the battery door, it would seem that not having a battery door would add some degree of support to the intent of the "use only our battery" label if called on.
Oct 02, 2017, 03:28 PM
cfg
cfg
No, I mean specified as a term of art. (An element of the electrical specifications.)

Of course, regulatory compliance is not a complete or exculpatory defense in “court,” but only before an administrative agency proceeding to enforce a penalty citation. Then, the issue becomes one of substantial or literal compliance with the regulation, not any expository declaration....
Last edited by cfg; Oct 02, 2017 at 03:35 PM.
Oct 02, 2017, 03:47 PM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfish

1 Nov.... it's not up to date https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...9-DSC07547.jpg
Oct 02, 2017, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Thank you Mike.
Do we still need two different usb drivers for X10 as we practice for frsky other radios, meaning one driver for files exchange and a different one for FW update?
There is no bootloader implemented for X12 or X10 is that is what you asking. Flashing is done via STM32 bootloader. As for Joystick/Serial/USB storage that is not dependent on the radio type and will be dynamically selectable on all (FrSky) radios with 2.2.1
Oct 02, 2017, 03:50 PM
"No, I mean specified as a term of art. (An element of the electrical specifications.)"

Just checking

Though if there is no door the battery would have to be supplied wouldn't it?
Oct 02, 2017, 03:55 PM
cfg
cfg
Form over substance, eschewed in every U.S. jurisdiction.

“Batteries not included.”

If “it” doesn’t meet the specifications, that is a mere economic loss or warranty claim. And, chief design engineer Hu Phlung Dung will be joined at the unemployment agency by Hang Chow, the QC manager.

Of course, Wayne could always instruct his lawyer to employ tactical semantic ambiguity to boost battery sales! (It is a joke, Wayne.)

Edit: eek! This takes us right back to Scott and the Hatch Act!
Last edited by cfg; Oct 02, 2017 at 04:14 PM.
Oct 02, 2017, 04:34 PM
Quote:
This radio is ahead of its time.
Where the future is being made today.
Oct 02, 2017, 04:42 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
OpenTX and FrOS both calculate the date differently so you have to change it after flashing OpenTX. Been going on since day one of the X12S, so I do not know which one is correct.

Mike
Oct 02, 2017, 05:19 PM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
http://www.deloreantimemachines.com/...aba_radio.html
Oct 02, 2017, 05:31 PM
Quote:
I had one of those radios back in the day. The readout was tack.
Oct 02, 2017, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru
Some new requirement since the QX7 was released?

Or, did FrSky perhaps get distracted by all the fuss kicked up about the lack of charging system in the QX7?
Does QX7 ship with battery installed? Last I knew it did not. My hazy recollection was that this was pertaining to toys that had batteries installed. It was that the batteries must be secured with a screw. Again -- I have no input regarding the actual battery or charging - I'm just trying to wrap my head around WHY the Tx companies (more than just FrSky) are introducing Tx's with no (easy) access to the battery. They MUST have a reason.
Oct 02, 2017, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg

CPSC regulations seldom make distinctions based on, or require compliance with specific design safety standards. They do, however, mandate reporting of known design or fabrication defects that present an unreasonable risk of harm to persons or property. The standard of reasonable, or the correlative unreasonable, is wholly objective.
Not entirely true. I found numerous cases - but all I've found are with button battery powered devices. Maybe it's a red herring and the concern is limited only to button battery devices.